• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

Anyone else notice an absolutely staggering amount of stuff missing? For any of us that have been buying/selling for a long time (I used to do more years ago not so much now) theres just a shitload of stuff missing. Stuff that went through MA dealers even, stuff that I /definitely/ reported.

Just shows you what a huge pile of shit their records are.

I wouldn't be that concerned, because its pretty obvious its just the state/database. Either theres a shitload of records not included in this dump, or they f***ed up that badly along the way, or both.
The stuff that is missing is the bigger part of the story than what is there. Let it stay f***ed up. CT's database was as bad, or worse, years ago and a bunch of well-intentioned, but mis-informed, individuals wanted to 'correct the record' but it was better to leave it f***ed up so that it was mainly a document of irrelevance and could not be used as a basis for anything requiring a court order.

We're not some hyper intelligent group, they had the same ideas if not worse.
This group was really excited to point out the birthday/expiration connection, which I assume non-LTC holders would have no idea.

Gun owners are gun owners’ worst enemy with their desire to show how much they know/prove someone wrong.

I bought a pistol from a guy who was some kind of LEO and the transaction is on here. Only one that's missing is a gun I bought from an FFL around 2015. I have the printout of the transfer form so the system must be full of errors.
Only thing I saw of mine missing is 2 private sales and 1 registration. They were done online and should have been there.

There are a shitload of transaction records in here. I think it's doubtful that anyone reviewed all of them, though it's possible that certain special individuals' transactions were deleted.

This group was really excited to point out the birthday/expiration connection, which I assume non-LTC holders would have no idea.

Gun owners are gun owners’ worst enemy with their desire to show how much they know/prove someone wrong.
You think the state isn't explaining how they assigned that data to the BloombergBots and the composters at the Globe Spotlight Team? They probably made a PowerPoint for them explaining how to use the data.

Any birdbrain that has the most basic, shit/common level knowledge of how the licensing system works knows that LTC expirations are all linked to birthdays. That's not some kind of secret squirrel thing. Any LTC course even at the diploma mill places that do it, will tell you that an LTC expires on your birthday. Hell that information is probably printed on many police department licensing websites, in the open.

It's not some kind of a insider secret, its something that anyone with a brain is going to apply to a dataset like this to try to use it to identify a particular person.

IIRC, the dates associated with those files don't go back that far. Blue cards went extinct with GCA-1998. Paper forms went extinct on 3/15/2015.
The personals database lists personals from 2006-2022 (not 2004-2022 as the title says), so while one shouldn't expect blue cards, paper FA-10's should be in there from 2006 to whenever the last ones were used up or went away (3/15/2015?).

They appear to be missing.

Well in the dealer doc, I found all records of my purchases and transfers done at friendly LGS. It took me a bit digging because I didn’t anticipate that while all purchases were made before my address change, the records actually shows my current city/town, and the data is still correct and complete after an address change, two license renewals and the license number changes.

As many already mentioned, once you find the right ID, you find the whole collection. They know where you live and they know what you have. 🤬🤬😡

This means the firearms will have to be sorted by model and make. This'll take longer and time = money for professional research especially funded by grants.
Data that is available for caliber is wildly all over the place- 556, 5.56, 5.56 Nato, 5.56x45, 223-556, .223-5.56, etc.
3. Expand beyond the easy firearms and pull the harder ones- the AR10's and the like.

The only way to determine the effectiveness with what we have is basically to go line by line and figure out what's an assault weapon and what is not. You'd need to parse out manufacturers to a team, train the team to identify models, and then put the set back together, but your quality and accuracy drops through the floor with that sort of manual labor.
Nope. Any of us dopes with so-so Excel skills can use a pivot table, VLOOKUP function, and/or conditional formulas to easily capture all the killy gunz. Maybe an hour of work to slice and dice the data and create some Ross Perot charts?

On another subject, not naming names but somebody is having a trollgasm in this thread. Though I think I coined the term in this context, it's not a new word and looks like this thread contributor now has a theme song...

Second result when googling "When does a Massachusetts LTC expire"

Freetown police department:

Expiration & Grace Periods​

A License to carry Firearms (LTC) or Firearm identification (FID) Card shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than six (6) years from the date of issue. LTCs shall expire on the cardholder’s birth date occurring not less than five (5) years but not more than six (6) years from the date of issue. License holders should receive notice and a renewal from the Massachusetts Firearms Record Bureau not les than ninety (90) days prior to expiration.

This thread is why I’ve been saying for years there is no reason to register anything, anywhere for any reason.
Yep, any lawsuit should be to ban the collection of this info and the licensing system in general. They've demonstrated they can't be trusted with the info (unsurprisingly).

Second result when googling "When does a Massachusetts LTC expire"

Freetown police department:

Expiration & Grace Periods​

A License to carry Firearms (LTC) or Firearm identification (FID) Card shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than six (6) years from the date of issue. LTCs shall expire on the cardholder’s birth date occurring not less than five (5) years but not more than six (6) years from the date of issue. License holders should receive notice and a renewal from the Massachusetts Firearms Record Bureau not les than ninety (90) days prior to expiration.
Needn't even go that far - I'd expect most people to assume it works like their driver's license.

Yep, any lawsuit should be to ban the collection of this info and the licensing system in general. They've demonstrated they can't be trusted with the info (unsurprisingly).
Except the fact that in order to change laws we need friendly legislators and to strike down the laws we need friendly courts. It’s a long road for sure, but this is something worth fighting for.

Something in the angle that this is prima facie firearm registration, and registration is illegal may be the path here, but I’ll leave that to the Comm2A legal eagles. I’ll just have to financially support them the best way I can.

Last edited:
While that scenario is not 100% impossible, I do think it is highly improbable. Nobody (at least nobody with a brain cell) hits a gun store during business hours. Dirtbags dislike holes in body parts as much as the next guy so why would they bother with an armed conflict when they can find someone a) with a lot of the crap they want to steal, b) someone with known hours away from the home, and c) a location with covert access and/or good getaway options. With a burner phone they could even call you at work to confirm you are out of the house without even needing a stakeout. Alternately a little social media searching could identify someone away on vacation.
So, I think you are saying that criminals smart enough to use the data to select a high-value target, would only hit that target while the occupants are away?

I suppose that (burglary) is preferable to a home invasion, but it still sucks. :(

But then yes, if true, "more iron" (i.e., a mucho stronger safe) might help... but probably not as much as a good firearms insurance policy. 🤔

Oh, here's a fun little chart I pulled up:

1674252391041.png

Also of note- The last reported stolen firearm was on 3/3/21- 10 months before the close of the database.
We average about 3-4 firearms solen per year, except for that one time in Lawrence where someone lost 12 firearms in one go. Its unclear if the 3 he lost 4 months later were part of the same collection and forgotten or a new robbery, I'd have to dig on the transfer dates, this actually a good example of small dataset problems.

Last edited:
Yeah but the 47 ideas posted about how to use it and interpret it are a freebee for a journalist or criminal.
But you repeat yourself!
We're not some hyper intelligent group, they had the same ideas if not worse.
Most "reporters" have very few brain cells these days. They "report" what they are handed by police or anti-groups without asking any questions about the validity of the info. Long gone are the days of true "investigative reporters".

LOL I disagree about any serious pants shitters in this thread but "never leave your safe room" aka shelter in place is always good advice for pants shitters.
If someone is outside, stealing my car, I''ll call the police, and let them take it. It's not my job to handle
I had a bunch of stuff from MA dealers post 2004 and from 3 other MA dealers there's nothing in there when there should be like a dozen guns. [rofl] Like I have stuff I got from deli ticket emporium, thats in there, but there are like 3 other dealers not reperesneted in there at all. [laugh] The only thing completely intact is more recent EFA10 FTF sales/transfers.
For my town, if you look up birthday month and day, 5-20 possible matches come up. If you don't know what someone owns or when their LTC expires, how do you know which ID is the person of interest?

So, I think you are saying that criminals smart enough to use the data to select a high-value target, would only hit that target while the occupants are away?

I suppose that (burglary) is preferable to a home invasion, but it still sucks. :(

But then yes, if true, "more iron" (i.e., a mucho stronger safe) might help... but probably not as much as a good firearms insurance policy. 🤔
Criminals may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer for many things but their little lizard brains get regular exercise compared to the attention higher functions receive. Like animals (and Marxists?) they'll always covet what others have and expend brain power figuring out how to take it rather than just do the work to earn it. They'll always grab the low hanging, unattended fruit first and next in line is to prey on the weak. Furthermore, they don't all have to be smart enough to figure out the list. It only takes one smart shitbird to crack the code and share with his fellow perps or simply sell lists to those who may not be smart but are very brazen.

One of my best friends in his early career had to investigate a guy who was making $5 counterfeit bills. The quality of the bills was actually decent which made this guy even funnier to interview. Smart enough to figure out a way to make decent fakes but dumb enough to get caught over chump change.

One of my best friends in his early career had to investigate a guy who was making $5 counterfeit bills. The quality of the bills was actually decent which made this guy even funnier to interview. Smart enough to figure out a way to make decent fakes but dumb enough to get caught over chump change.

My father had a story about a guy who counterfeited $1 bills in the 1960s. He made enough to buy food for his cat for years and was never caught. Apparently the dude's apartment caught on fire and the firemen threw all his printing stuff out in the street. Guy was shitting bricks someone would notice.

Oh, here's a fun little chart I pulled up:

View attachment 711653

Also of note- The last reported stolen firearm was on 3/3/21- 10 months before the close of the database.
We average about 3-4 firearms solen per year, except for that one time in Lawrence where someone lost 12 firearms in one go. Its unclear if the 3 he lost 4 months later were part of the same collection and forgotten or a new robbery, I'd have to dig on the transfer dates, this actually a good example of small dataset problems.
60 total over a 17 year period? Is that it? More cars a year are stolen. Its almost as if firearm theft is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom