• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

That would be even worse. The illegal data show your current town (when published) regardless of where you lived when you bought.

If you move and the illegal data gets updated, smart people can connect you and your gun collection to the new town, eliminating any ambiguity between license holders with the same birth date.
But it doesn't show if you sell your pew pew to out of state dealers. Yes, per the data, a person should have x amount of pew pew, but if you sell out of state to a FFL, there is not record of it in MA.

But it doesn't show if you sell your pew pew to out of state dealers. Yes, per the data, a person should have x amount of pew pew, but if you sell out of state to a FFL, there is not record of it in MA.
That's a whole separate issue... and yes, it would be nice if the MA gun transaction portal allowed you to record transfers to FFLs outside of MA.

Folks who have moved out of state show their new address as well. At first glace it looks like MA dealers sold a pistol to a non-MA resident...
How do they keep that information updated? When I move out of the northeast the only thing I’m leaving behind is the slight eau de taint as I drive by the state house with my balloon knot in full display mode…

Last edited:
No, it wouldn't. That's honestly none of their business.
Some folks (including yours truly) like the idea that the FRB database would be able to show the gun as legally transferred out of their possession when the shit hits the fan on that gun years later. If there is harm in that, I'm not seeing it. 🤔

Some folks (including yours truly) like the idea that the FRB database would be able to show the gun as legally transferred out of their possession when the shit hits the fan on that gun years later. If there is harm in that, I'm not seeing it. 🤔
Anything you say can be used against you...

They will never use it in your favor.

It's a write-only database. Nothing comes off of it. You are never listed as no longer owning it.

We are all benefited by the reasonable doubt that comes with our "not a registry" being as porous as it is. We would be better benefited if it didn't exist at all.

The database being shit is more useful. Think creatively.

The harm is you are giving them data they are not entitled to and do not deserve.

Further a filing as such is worthless, anyone can do it, it's proof of a large case of absolutely nothing.

If your concern is covering your ass, you're better off with retaining a dated receipt from the intaking FFL that basically says they received the gun. That's far better "proof" than a filing in some crappy database.

At BASS PRO last week, gun counter guy tells a guy buying a shotgun "this is the FA10, it is not a registration, it is more of a bill of sale from us to you".

Walking by the Bass Pro gun counter, which I haven't done in years until last week, you hear some funny sh*t.
There already is a bill of sale that has nothing to do with the state. The technical term, I believe, is "bill of sale."

Anything you say can be used against you...

They will never use it in your favor.

It's a write-only database. Nothing comes off of it. You are never listed as no longer owning it.

We are all benefited by the reasonable doubt that comes with our "not a registry" being as porous as it is. We would be better benefited if it didn't exist at all.
You must think I was born yesterday. [laugh] Too funny! Thank you for the education on how the FRB database works. [cheers]

I am not asking for or expecting that a legit transfer record will be removed. I am asking for a new transfer record that shows the gun is no longer in my possession. You can do that for a personal transfer or a MA dealer transfer, but you cannot do that for a transfer to an out-of-state dealer. Why? 🤔

The harm is you are giving them data they are not entitled to and do not deserve.

Further a filing as such is worthless, anyone can do it, it's proof of a large case of absolutely nothing.

If your concern is covering your ass, you're better off with retaining a dated receipt from the intaking FFL that basically says they received the gun. That's far better "proof" than a filing in some crappy database.
Yeah, I'm real good at keeping paper receipts for guns I'm sold or traded in over the last 5 decades. Yeah, that works. [cheers]

You must think I was born yesterday. [laugh] Too funny! Thank you for the education on how the FRB database works. [cheers]

I am not asking for or expecting that a legit transfer record will be removed. I am asking for a new transfer record that shows the gun is no longer in my possession. You can do that for a personal transfer or a MA dealer transfer, but you cannot do that for a transfer to an out-of-state dealer. Why? 🤔
I guess I don't see the point of making the database larger. In the best case scenario they have record of something you should have record of yourself. In the more likely case it's inaccurate, non-useful, and inadmissible anyway, unless it's to be used against you. Honest question: what's the benefit?

Yeah, I'm real good at keeping paper receipts for guns I'm sold or traded in over the last 5 decades. Yeah, that works. [cheers]
Respectfully, I'm not trusting the gubmint to keep a record I would need to get myself out of trouble. But that's just me.

You must think I was born yesterday.
Not at all.
[laugh] Too funny! Thank you for the education on how the FRB database works. [cheers]

I am not asking for or expecting that a legit transfer record will be removed. I am asking for a new transfer record that shows the gun is no longer in my possession. You can do that for a personal transfer or a MA dealer transfer,
You seem to be under the impression any of this will help you. It won't. It can't.
but you cannot do that for a transfer to an out-of-state dealer. Why? 🤔
Because it's not a registry of firearms. It's a registry of transactions among MA licensees.

Why do you want an in-fact registry?

At BASS PRO last week, gun counter guy tells a guy buying a shotgun "this is the FA10, it is not a registration, it is more of a bill of sale from us to you".

Walking by the Bass Pro gun counter, which I haven't done in years until last week, you hear some funny sh*t.
It’s far more accurate than calling it registration. It is just the recording of a transfer and nothing more. All the state ever knows is what was sold/transferred to you at a given point in time. They never can and never will know what you actually have. You can have nothing that was previously transferred to you and lawfully have 100 guns the state has no clue about.

The fact that they think the database has a relation to what you actually possess is either willful ignorance or malicious intent.

It’s far more accurate than calling it registration. It is just the recording of a transfer and nothing more. All the state ever knows is what was sold/transferred to you at a given point in time. They never can and never will know what you actually have. You can have nothing that was previously transferred to you and lawfully have 100 guns the state has no clue about.

The fact that they think the database has a relation to what you actually possess is either willful ignorance or malicious intent.
And yet here we are.

Is a "transaction registry" that can be used against you like an in-fact registry can be used against you really a different thing in practical terms?

Back
Top Bottom