Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

From a business standpoint, by exclusively filtering the FFL in excel, one of the craziest data points is that you can see how many firearms an FFL sold in the calendar year.

DTE sold almost 12,000 in one year!

Agree. My collection is really nothing worth going out of your way to steal. But, it does let you know you may take incoming fire if you break in. It's probably a deterrent to a criminal in my case rather than motivation. I would be pissed if I had a high value collection. But, I'm also utterly unsurprised it happened so there's that too.
Anyone that bothers to track down who owns guns in a town, will either wait until you are not home or will break in prepared or might sell the info to a bunch of crackheads (doubt it).

When I was scanning Newton, MA for John Rosenthal's LTC info, it appeared that several LTC holders had  there their key data columns scrubbed (birthdate, IDs, linked firearms, etc). I bet those were judges who didn't want their info out there.

Last edited:
From a business standpoint, by exclusively filtering the FFL in excel, one of the craziest data points is that you can see how many firearms an FFL sold in the calendar year.

DTE sold almost 12,000 in one year!
Maybe not.

They seem to be held by license so there's duplicates when you renew.

When I was scanning Newton, MA for John Rosenthal's LTC info, it appeared that several LTC holders had there key data columns scrubbed (birthdate, IDs, linked firearms, etc). I bet those were judges who didn't want their info out there.
Did you check Gloucester for Rosenthal?

Maybe not.

They seem to be held by license so there's duplicates when you renew.
The data was showing me how many sales were conducted on each day of operation from 1-1/22 - 12/31-22.

I’m not quite sure what you mean?

Only Newton. Supposedly he lives there. He apparently has a skeet shotgun. The only LTC in Newton with his b-day and a skeet shotgun I guessed was his.
I attempted to talk with this jerk at the 1998 GCA hearings and he bragged about being a gun owner back then., So unless he's a frequent buyer, anything you find in that database is unlikely to be his as he most likely bought his single shotgun a long time before the data that was released.

I attempted to talk with this jerk at the 1998 GCA hearings and he bragged about being a gun owner back then., So unless he's a frequent buyer, anything you find in that database is unlikely to be his as he most likely bought his single shotgun a long time before the data that was released.

There are essentially two datasets. One for transfers in the past roughly twenty years and the other for license applications/renewals.

Anyone that applied for or renewed a license in that time should be there, once for each individual license.

The transfer data doesn't appear to be duplicated.

Just checked, you're right.

One of these databases keeps duplicating, it's just not this one.

The license application/renewals. Appears to use the license number at the pk, not the person identifier.

So I had some shower thoughts last night:

If ma published the data to accommodate fioa's, how many fioas did they f*** up and not redact and randomize say streets and names? Clearly this is done manually from a full pull.

GOAL Teams with Comm2A in Response to State’s Unlawful Data Release
Gun Owners’ Action League (GOAL) and the Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A) have teamed up in response to an unlawful data release that includes very specific information on firearm transfers in Massachusetts.
We were recently made aware that the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) posted links to extensive data covering every recorded gun transaction in Massachusetts going back nearly twenty years. The data files do not use buyers’ names, but it does assign everyone, including retailers, a unique numerical identification number. The data, now made public and downloadable, provides your ID number, the specific gun you bought, your town and zip code. It also provides the same information about the person or retailer you bought it from. Given all that information the data is very easy to decode.
GOAL and Comm2A are joining together to legally notify the State of the clear violation. According to law, we must provide them 30 day’s notice to correct the issue before taking any court action. We will keep our members informed as things proceed.

Data about firearms licensing and transactions:​

Data about firearms licensing and transactions

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleX/Chapter66/Section10B
Chapter 66, Section 10B: Records divulging name, home or email address and phone number; persons who own, possess or have license to carry firearms; government personnel
Section 10B. The commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, the department of criminal justice information services and its agents, servants, and attorneys including the keeper of the records of the firearms records bureau of said department, or any licensing authority, as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, shall not disclose any records divulging or tending to divulge the names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and ammunition therefor, as defined in said section 121 of said chapter 140, and names and addresses of persons licensed to carry or possess the same to any person, firm, corporation, entity or agency except criminal justice agencies as defined in section 167 of chapter 6 and except to the extent such information relates solely to the person making the request and is necessary to the official interests of the entity making the request.
i don't see where it has the buyers unique ID in any of the columns in their files

So I had some shower thoughts last night:

If ma published the data to accommodate fioa's, how many fioas did they f*** up and not redact and randomize say streets and names? Clearly this is done manually from a full pull.

The foia explanation doesn’t hold water. Those would not require them to host this data, and essentially advertise it on their website.

When everyone knows who has a gun, it might be “useful” to publish a map of those who don’t. Guns are a means to get and keep/protect other stuff. If you don’t have one…
It would work better if the odds weren't already so high that any randomly picked home in MA is unarmed. With sheep, there is a weird sort of safety in numbers.

On the other hand, homes with guns are always going to be targets if that fact is known to the DimocRAT criminal community. But as someone else pointed out, the incentive is there for the DimocRAT criminals to break in while the house is unattended, not occupied. The latter could be risky. That is the saving grace, if any.

gun-lawn-sign.jpg

Back
Top Bottom