• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

I am thinking theyre either missing data entirely or someone ran some kind of a hatchet job on it. Which would explain the presence of serial numbers in part of one file but not the rest of it.... in an incorrectly marked column. Someone doesnt know how to use sqsh or whatever they used to dump the data... [laugh]

A lot of the corruption is how the 15 yo intern performed the data export, some delimiter issues (poor quoting, company names ending , INC. or , LLC.) and some simply unexplainable stuff.

I suspect the "bulk" missing data is truly lost (like they didn't even bother to scan in the blue cards, maybe the paper fa10s. The missing dealers... could they be "under investigation"?

If anyone missing data on this thread has ever made a request for their own "inventory" from the state, I'd love to know if their privately sent inventory includes transactions that are NOT in this data dump.

If you don't want to say so publicly, maybe PM, or at LEAST communicate that info to COMM2A/GOAL.

Not unless she moved there from her address of a couple years ago.

I was kidding, connecting the apparent last name initial in your name, to the name on the case.
Oh...OK...I can be slow on the uptake sometimes. It's just that I am a lifelong resident of Tewksbury. I was 21 at the time of the murders and I did follow that case as closely as I could. Does it make me an expert, hell no, but I do remember quite a bit about it. The story the 4 killers were told was Dr Mahoney's gun collection was worth around $50,000 or so, close to $300,000 in today's value. It was just a story in the end.

A lot of the corruption is how the 15 yo intern performed the data export, some delimiter issues (poor quoting, company names ending , INC. or , LLC.) and some simply unexplainable stuff.

I suspect the "bulk" missing data is truly lost (like they didn't even bother to scan in the blue cards, maybe the paper fa10s. The missing dealers... could they be "under investigation"?

If anyone missing data on this thread has ever made a request for their own "inventory" from the state, I'd love to know if their privately sent inventory includes transactions that are NOT in this data dump.

If you don't want to say so publicly, maybe PM, or at LEAST communicate that info to COMM2A/GOAL.
No, if it was done by a 5 yo, it would have been done properly. It's older folks that can't deal properly with data and ways of parsing it out. ;)

As for old data (blue cards and tissue paper), if it was readable, it was inputted by BATFE back in 1997-98. Info was FTF with the then director of FRB and his IT guru. In fact we were shown some of the data at a LE org meeting.
Why care if data is missing?
Why announce it in a public forum?

It is almost like people here are trying to get the State to update their methods and keep accurate information.
I don't understand it either. I could not be bothered checking or trying to correct if any errors were found.

... I could not be bothered checking or trying to correct if any errors were found.
I have no interest in correcting their records. I find a sense of relief knowing that their data is SO corrupt.

Of course, I'm no longer subject to their pernicious and arbitrary laws, but I can imagine some poor schmuck being pushed into jail for possessing a gun he (or she) forgot to register. This is a potential defense for them.

Bought a new case that will hold all of my handguns (yes, I am a newbie and a former Fudd but now see the error of my ways)

Decided to put a luggage tag on my new case. I was sure to put my "anonymous" assigned state ID on the tag. That's it. If the dire situation ever comes about where it is actually needed, I wonder if those chumps will actually figure it out. Probably not.

I have no interest in correcting their records. I find a sense of relief knowing that their data is SO corrupt.

Of course, I'm no longer subject to their pernicious and arbitrary laws, but I can imagine some poor schmuck being pushed into jail for possessing a gun he (or she) forgot to register. This is a potential defense for them.
I have no interest in even looking for myself in the data. 😂

You don't have a master list of your inventory?

Now that my guns are in a trust, I have an accurate list, (the trust IS my list) - and I keep it up to date.

Prior to establishing the trust - my "master list" periodically needed to be verified and corrected - just plain sloppiness on my part not to keep it up to date as changes occurred.

Now that my guns are in a trust, I have an accurate list, (the trust IS my list) - and I keep it up to date.

Prior to establishing the trust - my "master list" periodically needed to be verified and corrected - just plain sloppiness on my part not to keep it up to date as changes occurred.
Totally understood. My list is relatively short, and yet a couple of my newer additions to like a year to get completely filled in.

i just figure out my id number
by change i saw a gun that i actually registered. i sort by town on private transactions
then went to the licenses and guess what the 6 digit number also has the same license renewal date which is typically your birthday.
WTF

This group was really excited to point out the birthday/expiration connection, which I assume non-LTC holders would have no idea.

Gun owners are gun owners’ worst enemy with their desire to show how much they know/prove someone wrong.
This thread is the equivalent of the Mill ffl talking to the Globe…

Back
Top Bottom