"I'll take a loaf of bread, quart of milk, oh, and that AR15"

As the saying goes . . . Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a Federal agency.

My Dad is in Southern OH. Was out fixing some of his plumbing on a recent visit, and walked the block and a half to his local HW store. Got my shutoff valves, and got to fondle a nice Kimber 1911 at the checkout counter. Bullets and soldering flux in the same aisle. Free states are awesome!

Vermont is great for going to the hardware store buying a rifle and having a grilled cheese at the lunch counter that's in the hardware store lol.

I'll start backwards in my reply.

~1990 on a business trip to Beaverton OR, there was a very large department store next store to the hotel I was staying at, so I wondered in to look around. The gun department was plunk in the middle of the store and it was probably as big or bigger than the entire gun department at BassPro in Foxboro. Very impressive for a general department store.

In the mid 1970s to 1980s I used to buy ammo at Spags in Shrewsbury. In that same timeframe, I also remember the gun departments in The Fair (Auburn) and Service Merchandise (Framingham and Stoughton/Brockton line) where I bought ammo and supplies.

In the mid-late 1970s, Woolworth in Downtown Crossing (Washington St, Boston) sold rifles, ammo, etc. (unsure if they sold handguns). Lots of mil-surp M1 Carbines, Garands, etc. were in barrels by the escalator on the 2nd floor . . . just pick one up and walk to a cashier. IIRC, the prices were ~$100 back then. [It's a crying shame that I had no appreciation for old guns back then!![crying]]

I bought my first gun (rifle) at Lechmere's in Dedham in the mid-1970s. Also bought another rifle at Herman's Sporting Goods in South Shore Plaza in the mid-1970s.

In the mid-late 1970s, there was a Western Auto Supply store in Canton (might have been Stoughton as it was very close to both town lines) that sold rifles and ammo as well as all sorts of other stuff.

From the mid-1960s to sometime in the 1970s, Sears in South Shore Plaza sold rifles, ammo and all sorts of supplies.

In the late 1950s-early 1960s, Curran's Hardware Store in Randolph sold ammo (.22LR was $0.50/box of 50) and I think they also sold rifles. I remember it was on the right-hand wall as you walked in.

When I first discovered AG Guns back in the late 80's most of the square footage was still a convenience store, with guns and ammunition in a couple of the old deli cases at the back.

Ken

Bought my first gun at 15 years old at the Western Auto hardware store in Winthrop ME in 1964. No ID, no questions asked, nothing. AND I was alone at the time! Stevens bolt action repeater, tube feed, around $22.00 (used) as I recall. 4 50rd boxes of 22lr, $2.00. I do remember later that the price went up to .55 a box.

You've probably all seen this sign for Hussey's general Store up in China, ME.
husseys.jpg

Back
Top Bottom