• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ignorant "what is this" reloading question.

I started unpacking all of my reloading stuff from a move a few months ago and finally starting to set my reloading area up. Stumbled across a bunch of bullets I got somewhere down the line that I forgot I had.
Problem is, I don't know what they are. Plastic is measuring .309, bullet is at .224.
I'm assuming its to shoot a smaller buller thru a larger cartridge bore without actually making a wild cat, but not positive.
If anyone can point me in the correct direction, it would be appreciated.
20200928_184907.jpg

How old are they? Remington made rounds called “accelerator” years ago. The ones I was using was a 20 caliber projectile shot through a 30-06 rifle.

Mine was manufactured ammo though, not loose projectiles.

Dave

sabots, but don't know what. i use to play around with sabots that would allow me to shoot 38/257 diameter bullets from a 44 mag. kinda cool, you can see them separate several feet from exiting the barrel.

Yes, sabot rounds. Yes, they were sold commercially as Accelerators years ago. I am not personally familiar with the Remington product, so I can't say 100% if these are Remington components. I have seen load data somewhere for the Accelerators, but don't ask me where it was now.
Sabots are available from several sources today, so you can use them in virtually any .30 caliber cartridge 7.5 Swiss, 7.5 MAS, .30-06, .30-30 7.62x25mm, etc. They can be used in 7.62x39/54R, .303 British, 7.7x58 and 7.65x54, too, albeit slightly under size.

Attachments

• sabot22sa1.jpg
    sabot22sa1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    Swz7.5(sf).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 37
  • .22LRSabot.jpg
    .22LRSabot.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 64gSabot.jpg
    64gSabot.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
By your measurements they're sabots to shoot a .22.caliber bullet out of any .30 caliber cartridge. I've only seen them as loaded ammo in .30/06 but I suppose you could load them in any .30 caliber. You could probably even load them in a .30 caliber pistol cartridge. Does the sabot and bullet together weigh less than the bullet in a 7.62x25? The 7.62x25 is already fast. It would be a screamer with those things

By your measurements they're sabots to shoot a .22.caliber bullet out of any .30 caliber cartridge. I've only seen them as loaded ammo in .30/06 but I suppose you could load them in any .30 caliber. You could probably even load them in a .30 caliber pistol cartridge. Does the sabot and bullet together weigh less than the bullet in a 7.62x25? The 7.62x25 is already fast. It would be a screamer with those things

makarov.com has some Tokarev load data with the sabot and 46g bullet. The sabots I use weigh about 6 grains.

It's so that when they recover the bullet there aren't any rifling marks on it............... What? you were all thinking this.

That's true, but that doesn't mean we are training to be assassins. I saw this in a movie a few times. I forget the title of the one, but the other movie had similar dealings with a paper-patched bullet, Shooter, with Mark Wahlberg.

Attachments

• 762Tok2.jpg
    762Tok2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 19
^^^^^^^^^^^

You may need to use a short bullet, a .22 Hornet style, in order to keep the COL acceptable and to allow adequate grip of the sabot.
The plastic riot bullet pictured above is too long for the CZ 52's magazine, but it can be fired single shot.

You'll notice that the second picture above (post #8) shows fired sabots being reused. Not really necessary, but if you find the expanded sabots on the ground, you can roll them back into shape and use them again. Ultimately, the petals will break off.

Attachments

• 7.5SwissSabot2.jpg
    7.5SwissSabot2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 22LRsabot.jpg
    22LRsabot.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Funny, because I was daydreaming about loading those sabot projo's in my .30 Mauser Broomhandle.

If you come up short on suitable bullets, aside from the sabots, you should be able to find the cast bullets for .32 S&W. Run them through a .308" sizer die and use them. Although a bit heavier than typical, the M1 Carbine 110g FMJ are also worth a try.
The Lyman 311410 (next to plastic riot bullet post #11) begins to taper when seated to proper COL and doesn't allow for adequate grip.
Pictured below:
Cast.312" LSWC sized to .308"
110g FMJRN

Attachments

• tok100g.jpg
    tok100g.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Tok110gb.jpg
    Tok110gb.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes. I suppose they could be made to handle other calibers, too, but I'm only aware of the .30 w/ .224 variety.
You may come across the Remington "Accelerator" ammunition in somebody's collection at some point.

Back
Top Bottom