IFAK at the range

Do you carry gunshot First Aid kit on you when you go to the range?

• Yes

Votes: 55 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.0%

• Total voters
I either have a IFAK from Dark Angel, or a kit that I put together myself on my belt at the range. If someone develops a hole, blood flows at a good rate, you don't want to be running around looking for a tourniquet. Takes up very little room on the belt.

I think some people don't want to look like they are larping at the range with gear on their belt, or chest rig. Wear that shit with pride.

Knowledge and skills before anything! I recommend taking a basic Red Cross or American Heart Association CPR/Basic first aid course to start on your path to knowledge. That will set you up for more advanced TCCC classes. Deployed Medicine offers intro courses for that purpose. Deployed Medicine.
The Defense Health Agency decided to release all their training modules to the general public.
Train hard and stay safe.

I work in industrial maintenance, and after a couple of nasty incidents at work (none involving me thankfully), I picked up one of these: NAR Solo IFAK which now lives in my backpack and goes with me wherever I go. One of the things I like about NAR is that they have a section on their website that explains the usage of almost all of their products, most with videos too. As others in the thread mentioned, it's not about just having first aid supplies on hand, you need to know how to use them as well.

My range bag has a IFAK, both my vests for teaching have IFAKs, I have a spare IFAK and a GP First Aid Kit 8m my car. My wife has and my daughter has a kits in their cars as well. Firefighter/ EMT.

An absolute yes for me. I have multiple. I keep one in my range bin and one on my belt. Everybody should at least have a tourniquet. If an ND/AD is going to happen, it’s most likely gonna be a lower extremity injury.

Tourniquet.
Duct tape.
Women's pad.
It's a "flat", dammit.

I have an entrenching tool in my car...does that count?
For getting rid of the mistakes/failures?
Our club has a backhoe.

An absolute yes for me. I have multiple. I keep one in my range bin and one on my belt. Everybody should at least have a tourniquet. If an ND/AD is going to happen, it’s most likely gonna be a lower extremity injury.
Word.
5546662701_24a3c53f45_z.jpg

5547242668_a7fd36b895_z.jpg

Wait! Are you guys carrying these for other idiots or yourselves? Using your first aid kit on someone else goes against skinflintery code.
True dominance in skinflinting is achieved by not only letting the idiot bleed out, but grabbing the brass from the round that shot him and saying “you weren’t gonna reload this, we’re you?”

A buddy went to a GOAL medical training class. He now insists that I carry a gunshot first aid kit at the range. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one at the range so I'm curious now: do people carry medical kits with them to the range?

P.S. I think I'd like to take a medical course. Any recommendations for an upcoming class? I'd like to stay inside 495..
YES, It is in the front two pockets on my range bag marked with red cross patches. CAT TQ and shears are on the outside for fast accesss. If I'm there with anyone else I tell them where it is, bring it to me if I'm hurt, the right thing to say if they have to call 911 (call and tell them there has been a training accident), go flag the ambulance down at the range entrance road, etc. I hope it never gets used but shit can happen.

If you are willing to put holes in people, you should also know how to plug holes up. It could be your own life that you save. Get training and an IFAK.

Wait! Are you guys carrying these for other idiots or yourselves? Using your first aid kit on someone else goes against skinflintery code.
True dominance in skinflinting is achieved by not only letting the idiot bleed out, but grabbing the brass from the round that shot him and saying “you weren’t gonna reload this, we’re you?”
My kit is for me. You should have your own. If you go down, I use yours.

A buddy went to a GOAL medical training class. He now insists that I carry a gunshot first aid kit at the range. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with one at the range so I'm curious now: do people carry medical kits with them to the range?

P.S. I think I'd like to take a medical course. Any recommendations for an upcoming class? I'd like to stay inside 495..
This guy your mother or something?

Last edited:
Education is the key here. If you know how to properly fix the problem you can easily improvise.

I keep this kit in my bag. Have been meaning to ad a couple chest seals.

268E16C5-0384-4079-BAAB-7C60190FF8AE.jpeg

26999ADD-B4E2-4133-8963-3FCD54E1D65F.jpeg

99BF86DF-5378-4B6B-AC1E-4891C47D348C.jpeg

I also keep a more comprehensive kit in my truck and car. But they still aren’t that big. I typically equate the size of the kit with skill level. Larger the bag, the lower the skill level.

I have a fairly basic kit (QuikClot, TQ, Trauma Pak, gloves, bandages) in my range bag side pocket with a big red cross on the outside so it's obvious where to look.

Range use aside (and yes you should have basic CLS type gear with you if shooting or around those who are shooting) I find it quite useful to keep medical kit in my car, work bag, range bag, etc. I’ve surprised myself how many roadside incidents have resulted in using the car kit but I’m also obligated to pull over and render aid.

Bare minimum for range medical supplies is a tourniquet and stuff to pack a hole. I laugh at how many people dump money on fancy IFAKs with needle decompression, halo chest seals, cric kits etc and have zero idea how to use it. Even a TQ is useless if applied improperly. Keep it simple, you aren’t giving Mr Shmuckatelly at the range who just ND’d himself in the leg a buddy transfusion in the field. Tourniquet and hemostatic gauze to plug holes and await higher care.

Please don’t use quikclot powder if avoidable, sucks when they get to the hospital with that caked and baked everywhere.
Did TPNES just refer to TPNES in the first person?!?!?!?

Though you don't see them, many folks have one either on their ankle or in their pocket.
If it's not hanging on my bag, I tell people I'm with there's a real first aid kit inside.

My kid's friend was bragging about his first aid kit on a Monadnock hike. Short version: Duct tape? Fail. Tourniquet? Fail. Bivy? Fail. So I asked, "not prepared for a blister, never mind a true life threatening situation?" He agreed.

Yep. I also keep a tourniquet, some quick clot, and a chest seal in my bag. Hoping to never have to use them. Also keep a more standard FA kit in the car.

A bit pricey but a very good 1-day course.

Back
Top Bottom