• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If your doctor asks about guns

And we don't have to answer any question we don't want to. If you were arrested and interrogated, would you speak with the arrestors? I wouldn't. Divulge nothing.
If its friendly conversation, why not. If it feels more like an inquisition or if it's a psych doctor in question, avoid the topic of firearms like its the hiv.
With you. My Dentist inherited his dad's police positive duty weapon. Doesn't work well, I suggested it might be clogged with lint and dried oil and such.
Known each other almost 30 years him Navy, Me Marine.
You can answer any question they ask, but you don't have to tell them the truth.
If at all possible, smile, distract. Worked for the Clintons, recall the questioning the definition of "is"?

Last edited:
If you must respond, "I have no unsecured weapons of any kind in my home. Every home has items that could potentially cause harm. My home is safe for all occupants and welcomed visitors." Repeat it several times until it is committed to memory.

If the doctor repeats the question, the answer is, "I have no unsecured weapons of any kind in my home. Every home has items that could potentially cause harm. My home is safe for all occupants and welcomed visitors."

Whatever you reply will become part of your permanent medial record. The above reply does not incriminate yourself.

IMHO all that crap makes you sound like a loon toon. "No" is a lot easier. They're not a law enforcement entity (yet) so there's no problem with blowing smoke up their ass.

-Mike

With you. My Dentist inherited his dad's police positive duty weapon. Doesn't work well, I suggested it might be clogged with lint and dried oil and such.

If at all possible, smile divert, distract. Worked for the Clintons, recall the definition of "is"?

Oh my God, WTF are you talking about?

Ed;
I don't know! I was typing and something must of slipped out!
What did it sound like?
When I got back from boot, my Dad was certain i'd contracted Touretts!

Tommyhawk strike planning?
Nuthin too it, just don't hold the wood with your off-hand.

lolwut?

Don't divert, distract, or make excuses, be an American and say NONE OF YOUR ****ING BUSINESS. WTF is wrong with us?

IMHO all that crap makes you sound like a loon toon. "No" is a lot easier. They're not a law enforcement entity (yet) so there's no problem with blowing smoke up their ass.

-Mike

I don't know, The way things are headed I could see people going to prison for "Lying on a Federal Obamacare Questionnaire"

Pretty soon before answering any questions from your Doctor the best answer will be "I will not answer any questions without my Attorney present".

I think Obamacare will destroy anything that was left of "Doctor -Patient Confidentiality"

-Mike

This as of right now. But, all MDs are becoming government employees. Expect a lot of the MDs that do not want to be government employees to retire if possible.

But no doubt shortly it WILL be illegal to lie to your md.. But they will of course be perfectly ale to lie to you.. Just like Leo's

If its friendly conversation, why not. If it feels more like an inquisition or if it's a psych doctor in question, avoid the topic of firearms like its the hiv.

It all ends up in the records and they are all being digitized and they have to be accessible to the .gov per Obamacare.

As I said before, they are seeking access to medical records as part of the licensing process, and I believe that some will use the information therein to deny licenses; if you lie to your doctor and say you do not have guns and you do, I believe that will be used as evidence that you are unsuitable due to evasiveness. Or something similar. Also as previously posted, the FRB has yanked a permit on suitability grounds because a man sought treatment under a false name, essentially because he lied to his doctor. It's at the MA supreme judicial court.

It's a no win situation. While I'm against the question and would like to refuse to answer, I'm thinking maybe you should just say yes. The .gov knows anyway. Pick your battles.

But I'm not married to that answer to this issue as things develop.

Man, I really don't get why this topic comes up over and over and over and over and over and over again here. If your doctor asks about guns and you don't want him or her to know you own guns, just say you don't own guns.

It's called lying.

You can also find another doctor who doesn't ask. There are plenty out there.

If you're worried about any potential health effects of being involved with firearms, and yet don't want your doctor to know you own guns...well...then I guess you're out of luck.

I just love how this is such an "invasive" question. This person is allowed to stick their finger in your *******, but god forbid they ask you whether you own guns! That's an INVASIVE question! Detailed sexual history, blood tests, x-rays, fecal matter...but don't ask me about my hobbies...that's personal!

I get why people might not want their doctor to know they own guns, but not why it's such a big deal. They're not going to put you on a lie detector and arrest you for lying to your doctor.

HOLY F@#$
RAGE!!!!!!

scarface-o.gif

Sorry did I over-react?

Is it go time yet?

My doctor knows I shoot,reoload and all related info so the question never gets asked. I do remember going to the ER for whatever reason and was asked "Do you feel safe at home" question. Now I admit to be a little slow on the uptake at times so when asked I'm sitting thinking "HUH ???" then after 10 o 15 seconds the light went on and answered I feel quite safe at home and then explained why and that was the end of that conversation.

To be more effective at reducing tragedies at home, they should put NRA Eddie Eagle Program brochures at various pediatrician offices, hospitals and other medical facilities. I mean, what happens if you answer in the affirmative? What are they going to say? Do they just check the box and move the next question?

In my alternative example, the doctor or other health care professional could say, "If you feel you need additional guidance on securing firearms at home, if you own them, please take an NRA Eddie Eagle program brochure with you." Or something to that effect.

More effective at reducing tragedies, less intrusive, and safeguards privacy.

Am I the only man in the world whos DR. only asks about drinking, and smoking?!?!?!? Maybe hes just scared because he knows I'm packing.

Am I the only man in the world whos DR. only asks about drinking, and smoking?!?!?!? Maybe hes just scared because he knows I'm packing.
From what I have seen on the Internet, a lot of doctors and nurses, especially in the field of pediatrics, ask about gun ownership. The wise parent will just say that they do not own any guns. There, they have their answer and everyone is happy. The less info in government and insurance company computers, the better.

I just love how this is such an "invasive" question. This person is allowed to stick their finger in your *******, but god forbid they ask you whether you own guns! That's an INVASIVE question! Detailed sexual history, blood tests, x-rays, fecal matter...but don't ask me about my hobbies...that's personal!

It's invasive because it's not medically necessary. The potential privacy and rights implications of the questions are obvious, particularly with the government getting in bed with the medical establishment with Obamacare. I can agree with you in the respect that, on its face, its relatively innocuous.... the thing is, I'd feel differently about it if it wasn't readily apparent to me that the government is just ITCHING to compromise doctor-patient privilege at every opportunity they can get. With these loon toons shooting up schools or whatever, government figures are trying to come up with ways they can get the public to suck for more invasion into their personal lives and medical histories.

This situation kind of reminds me with the same kind of disconnect people have with LEOs these days. For example not all that long ago when a LEO was pissed off at you it was because you possibly or probably did something that was actually bad. Now because everything is illegal and there is a machine above the LEO pushing for arrests and prosecutions of stupid malum prohibitum crap, the "machine" has effectively invaded the space that used to be only occupied by the LEO, the citizen, and the town's interests maybe.

This thing with the Doctors is no different- the .gov is readily invading that space between the doctor and their patients.

That said on the ground with this issue at moment I've never had my doctor ask this question and it's never been an issue for me, so it's not something that I'm always thinking about, either. I think in most cases right now its an issue easily dodged and its not worth making a mountain out of a molehill.

-Mike

lolwut?

Don't divert, distract, or make excuses, be an American and say NONE OF YOUR ****ING BUSINESS. WTF is wrong with us?

Don't forgrt, this guy is about to stick his finger up your azz! I got in a beef with the receptionist at a urologist's office once, turned out the c unt was his girlfriend on the side. Man did my azz hurt for a while!

"Doc, I'm here to discuss my health because you've got like 10 years of medical training. Before we talk about firearms I need to know how much training in firearms safety you have."

Last edited:
It's invasive because it's not medically necessary. The potential privacy and rights implications of the questions are obvious, particularly with the government getting in bed with the medical establishment with Obamacare. I can agree with you in the respect that, on its face, its relatively innocuous.... the thing is, I'd feel differently about it if it wasn't readily apparent to me that the government is just ITCHING to compromise doctor-patient privilege at every opportunity they can get. With these loon toons shooting up schools or whatever, government figures are trying to come up with ways they can get the public to suck for more invasion into their personal lives and medical histories.

This situation kind of reminds me with the same kind of disconnect people have with LEOs these days. For example not all that long ago when a LEO was pissed off at you it was because you possibly or probably did something that was actually bad. Now because everything is illegal and there is a machine above the LEO pushing for arrests and prosecutions of stupid malum prohibitum crap, the "machine" has effectively invaded the space that used to be only occupied by the LEO, the citizen, and the town's interests maybe.

This thing with the Doctors is no different- the .gov is readily invading that space between the doctor and their patients.

That said on the ground with this issue at moment I've never had my doctor ask this question and it's never been an issue for me, so it's not something that I'm always thinking about, either. I think in most cases right now its an issue easily dodged and its not worth making a mountain out of a molehill.

-Mike
Mike, I did have the question asked once, by a nurse practitioner during a pre-employment exam. I simply answered that I did not own any. Did not want to jeopardize the job, just in case the company or its management was anti-gun. She got her answer. I got my physical. I got the job. That was back in 1989. Everybody was happy. I always believe that the less said, the better. When I was in college, a classmate was from Northern Ireland, at the time when the IRA was at its height of power. He told me that survival there meant keeping one's mouth shut. Good advice, in those times as in these times.

Back
Top Bottom