• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If your doctor asks about guns

Ha, just had a physical with new doctor today. Asked me about interests and hobbies, I replied none. I'd rather be seen as boring than be put on a list somewhere.

The last time I visited my optometrist, he asked if I was still shooting. He then mentioned that he just took the safety course for his LTC and he asked me advice about what gun to buy.

Talked to my doc about shooting USPSA... he thought it was cool... then transitioned to "when is the last time you took a lead test ?"... "maybe we should get a baseline now.."...

which i was fine with... because i was pretty elevated...

He's a cool guy.

I must have an awesome dr, cause mine doesn't try to prescribe me random pills for shit, and only asks me about, oh gee, I don't know, my health. You know, like any weird pains? drastic weight loss? Any unusual lumps? Shit like that.....crazy right?

When your Dr. asks about guns, you whip out your .45 and slap it down on the examining table..."you mean like these doc?"

My doc only asked two questions: do we wear bike helmets and do we wear seatbelts. I told him that the numerous ways one can get hurt demonstrates the idiocy of asking any questions re: safety.

My bike rants on motorcycles. I find it amusing. He's a former Naval officer and the only question he asks about guns is bought any new ones lately?

It's none of my doctors business what I do. Hold me while I cough, check my lungs, and check my reflexes. Anything else is none of his damn business.

I guess it really comes down to the faith you have in your Dr. I have a great relationship w/mine but I would not divulge any information to a new physician that I wouldn't want going directly to Big Brother. I'm a legal gun owner and outside of family and friends, my guns are my business and no one else's.

..."when is the last time you took a lead test ?"... "maybe we should get a baseline now.."...

which i was fine with... because i was pretty elevated...

any thoughts as to why? Do you shoot a lot of unjacketed ammo? Just wondering whether I need to think about lead myself.

Anybody else have the test and see anything above normal?

If its friendly conversation, why not. If it feels more like an inquisition or if it's a psych doctor in question, avoid the topic of firearms like its the hiv.

any thoughts as to why? Do you shoot a lot of unjacketed ammo? Just wondering whether I need to think about lead myself.

I shot a lot of indoor .22 in a range with not so great ventilation plus trap.

I tested within normal ranges.

We had our son's first doctor's appointment today. The intake nurse asked "the question". My wife and I said we prefer not to answer the question in the affirmative or negative. She responded that she thinks everyone should have at LEAST one gun for house protection, to my surprise.

Shooting indoor USPSA practice once a week for several months. My guess is the number of people shooting, combined with poor ventilation. Sometimes the vent timer would stop without us noticing.

Not sure though.

We had our son's first doctor's appointment today. The intake nurse asked "the question". My wife and I said we prefer not to answer the question in the affirmative or negative. She responded that she thinks everyone should have at LEAST one gun for house protection, to my surprise.

What was your response?

What was your response?

My wife said "no", I said "we politely decline to answer". She said that's fine, she'll check off "no". That's when she made her Second Amendment plug. I sort of left it at that even though I agreed with her follow-up statement. I honestly don't find it relevant to the conversation as it pertains to my two-week-old's checkup.

My rule is that I don't talk about guns with total strangers, or if I do, it's at my own choosing.

IMHO

Doctors today are not the Doctors of the past, I am old enough to remember house calls and a Doctor being there for a family 24/7 when needed, they would call back and check up on ya, back when Doctors used MD license plates on their cars, back in the day you could call some Doctors a family friend and even have them for dinner and party's, these days it is all different, they are out to make a buck and the more people they cattle through the office the better car they can drive, the days of trust are over, I tell my doc what's wrong and no more, he don't need to know anything else to fix me up.

Tim

If you must respond, "I have no unsecured weapons of any kind in my home. Every home has items that could potentially cause harm. My home is safe for all occupants and welcomed visitors." Repeat it several times until it is committed to memory.

If the doctor repeats the question, the answer is, "I have no unsecured weapons of any kind in my home. Every home has items that could potentially cause harm. My home is safe for all occupants and welcomed visitors."

Whatever you reply will become part of your permanent medial record. The above reply does not incriminate yourself.

How better than this to elicit a positive response from a reluctant gun owner?

Not sayin' she's been trained like a police investigator, but it's a great technique.

Who has a discussion with their doctor? I go when I'm sick, and ask them to make me better. We don't get into discussions. For that matter, I'm not really sure who my doctor is. I usually see a nurse practitioner or whatever they are. There was one hot one for a while, but she's gone.

My Doctor had to check my lungs, he told me to remove my shirt, I did, he never said anything about the gun in my OWB Holster, just went on with the check up and said OK all set, you can put your shirt back on...

Back
Top Bottom