• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you won Powerball...

I would buy a large ranch, over 500 acres, would have a custom range set up for my APC and Tank as well as long range reactive target range for my rifles and machineguns, a custom bunker with indoor pistol range as well, Oh and a electric fence around the entire perimeter.

At 100+ mill in the bank? I've run the math. It's not cheap to run but not at the same level as an airliner.

-Mike
Operating costs on a plane like that are mostly predictable. There are plenty in the wild to have good data that way. Charter rates are a good indicator of direct operating costs. Thing about an airplane like that is using it as intended. The costs per hour jump right up if you start getting more cycles than hours, for example. This means you need to routinely fly trips that are 600+ miles.

Likely buy a humble/normal house with generous amount of land (100+ acres) in NH. The kind of place that says you did well but not millionaire play ranch. (Don't want to be "the filthy rich" guy in the place I live)

Buy a house nearby so in laws have a place to stay.

Once I have a place I can have an excuse to get a truck, tractor, etc.

Then buy some large larger tracts in other places. So I would have play places away from where I live. Maybe ranch in Montana, some large swaths woods in NH or Maine, etc. Ideally things that will cover their carrying cost plus some nominal revenue.

Then put aside enough to cover expenses on the house in secure investments and the rest would be fun to tinker with getting more agressive returns on. (Have to fill the day with something). Maybe buy some rental places in town and play local landlord. Or invest in some local businesses.

So, airplane people. What about finding a good old Lear and modernizing her?

Why would you want to?

You can get a much newer aircraft with far better and safer systems that are fully integrated and well supported. There will be better simulator support for the new aircraft, so you can send your crew for better training.

Newer aircraft will also have larger diameter fuselage, so more comfortable for passengers.

New aircraft have so many safety systems that you just can't get on old aircraft -- things like synthetic vision.
Depends. If you can retrofit an older one with a G600txi and GTN750s, you are a lot of the way to the latest and greatest, including synthetic vision.

In terms of guns, I'd have the gun from Terminator 2 Judgement Day built for me.

If I cleared $250m, $200m is getting invested right away by people much smarter than me, $20m is being spent right off the bat on silly shit including a house, garages, cars, trips, guns, etc., $20m is being spent to help close friends/family, and $10m is being stored in physical gold....because why the hell not.

In terms of guns, I'd have the gun from Terminator 2 Judgement Day built for me.

If I cleared $250m, $200m is getting invested right away by people much smarter than me, $20m is being spent right off the bat on silly shit including a house, garages, cars, trips, guns, etc., $20m is being spent to help close friends/family, and $10m is being stored in physical gold....because why the hell not.

Heh $20m for silly shit. My plan for a place with a spread of 100 acres and secure investments which would pay me enough to live on if it all went to shit would be easily only $5 million after all said and done (most being for an annuity). Rest of my silly shit would probably be buying up businesses or hiring someone to teach me shit just to keep busy.

I wouldn’t buy a big boat. I would rent a mega yacht for a few weeks in the Caribbean. Own the damn thing, have to hire and fire captain and crew, deal with overhauls, etc.? That sounds way too much like work to me.

With regards to fancy boats the best thing to do is get in on a deal with a bunch of people running a boat between a particular desired route etc. I know a couple that's in my extended circle of friends that do this, basically they're nvestors in a company that owns the boat with a small group of people and whenever they're not whoring the thing out on private charters they can do whatever they want with it...

Never said I wanted to. Just offering up a discussion topic.

Honestly, I would never waste the money on an airplane. Or a boat, for that matter. Fast ways to the poor house.

If you have 200 + million dollars there isn't such a thing as poor anymore if you actually sequester some of that money and manage it the right way... even if you burn through 70% of it you'll still be richer at the end than most people will ever make in a lifetime...

Heh $20m for silly shit. My plan for a place with a spread of 100 acres and secure investments which would pay me enough to live on if it all went to shit would be easily only $5 million after all said and done (most being for an annuity). Rest of my silly shit would probably be buying up businesses or hiring someone to teach me shit just to keep busy.

But with Powerball money, that's what the other $200m is for lol its a different game at that level. For realistic comfortable living, $5m would absolutely get it done. With $250m, even with legacy building frugality in mind, you're gonna spend more than $5m if you want to truly enjoy it.

Its hard to hide that amount of wealth even if you try to somewhat remain the same kind of person. How many people make $1m a year? $250m clean after taxes is making $1m a year for 250 years straight without spending a dime or losing any value due to inflation....its truly an outrageous sum of money when you put it in perspective, especially with how it will grow when invested. I would imagine alot changes at that point from the way you judge interactions (is this guy only talking to me because of my wealth?) to security concerns (will someone kidnap my kid for ransom?) to your entire social circle.

Sit back until trust is done and vanish into thousands of acres. Honestly most would go toward honest charities.

Last edited:
But with Powerball money, that's what the other $200m is for lol its a different game at that level. For realistic comfortable living, $5m would absolutely get it done. With $250m, even with legacy building frugality in mind, you're gonna spend more than $5m if you want to truly enjoy it.

Its hard to hide that amount of wealth even if you try to somewhat remain the same kind of person. How many people make $1m a year? $250m clean after taxes is making $1m a year for 250 years straight without spending a dime or losing any value due to inflation....its truly an outrageous sum of money when you put it in perspective, especially with how it will grow when invested. I would imagine alot changes at that point from the way you judge interactions (is this guy only talking to me because of my wealth?) to security concerns (will someone kidnap my kid for ransom?) to your entire social circle.

That's why I would hate to win 250 million in the public eye, would be happier as an anonymous 40 million winner. Just collect it in a trust and like your ass off about what you have and where it came. I found a house that is like 500k in NH and had 130 acres. Throw 3 million in a annuity that will pay 100k/yr or some other secure payout. Then keep my head down, probably try to get something that makes it look like I have a daily source of income. Being the retired 30 year old with all the $$$$ toys and owns a jet draw attention but random guy who buys a 500k house and shows up with a used 3/4 ton truck isnti going to cause the same googling to get the whole back story.

250 million is bananas rich to most but isn't even getting you up to the grown ups table with the billionaires who start space companies, buy millions of acres, etc. Would rather not risk getting sucked into their money burning circles that could use up 250 million in a couple years with failed projects and status properties/vehicles that cost $$$ to maintain.

There are several groups that would be getting fat checks (from the trusts, of course): Second Amendment Foundation. NHFC (and Women's Defense League of New Hampshire, just to show there's no hard feelings). New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. A school choice scholarship fund that would free any family of any income level from the public school system, if they want it.

And, I'd humbug the tax assessor: what looks like an efficient but modest 3/2 house of about 1,700 square feet, would actually be sitting atop a massive gun vault, wine cave, whisky stores, humidor, indoor range, fallout shelter, megaplex.

Back
Top Bottom