• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you shot a home invader, would the police confiscate the gun used in the shooting?

If you shot a home invader, would the police confiscate the gun used in the shooting?
or would they arrest you? provided you had at least an FID card and legally owned the gun.

Just a thought, any answers?

In Mass, it is a practical certainty that you will be deemed unsuitable for LTC purposes after being involved in any shooting, justified or not. There are notable exceptions to this, but this is the generally accepted rule.

An FID only allows possession of "non-large capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition." So, if you had an FID when your LTC was revoked, then you would only have to surrender your handguns.* Rifles, shotguns and ammunition covered by the FID would not have to be surrendered, according to statute.

That being said, if a crime is being investigated they can and will take firearms and other items related to the crime as evidence.

ETA: *What I should have said here is "...only have to surrender the firearms not covered by the FID." This could include more than just handguns.

Last edited:
really? even in your own home? you're not obligated to leave your home and can defend yourself under MA castle law.

I'm asking this because I saw an episode of Steven Seagal's reality police show where an old guy shot someone in his home.
the guys was invited over but got drunk and violent so the old man fired a warning shot. the drunk came at him and the old man put one
in his chest. when the police came they heard the story, put the gun away for the old man and left. case closed! it was in louisiana.
the drunk went to the hospital.

really? even in your own home? you're not obligated to leave your home and can defend yourself under MA castle law.

I'm asking this because I saw an episode of Steven Seagal's reality police show where an old guy shot someone in his home.
the guys was invited over but got drunk and violent so the old man fired a warning shot. the drunk came at him and the old man put one
in his chest. when the police came they heard the story, put the gun away for the old man and left. case closed! it was in louisiana.

Pretty sure that show's staged... (just like all "reality" shows, really)

[laugh][laugh]

Nobody beats me in the kitchen.

Individuals involved in their first defensive shooting are a complete basket case and in no shape to be talking to investigators.

In Mass, it is a practical certainty that you will be deemed unsuitable for LTC purposes after being involved in any shooting, justified or not. There are notable exceptions to this, but this is the generally accepted rule.

An FID only allows possession of "non-large capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition." So, if you had an FID when your LTC was revoked, then you would only have to surrender your handguns.* Rifles, shotguns and ammunition covered by the FID would not have to be surrendered, according to statute.

That being said, if a crime is being investigated they can and will take firearms and other items related to the crime as evidence.

ETA: *What I should have said here is "...only have to surrender the firearms not covered by the FID." This could include more than just handguns.

I'm assuming that you mean 'while the case is under investigation' here.

MA has NO CASTLE LAW!! Repeat that to yourself 100 times, then go read the actual law. It is an "affirmative defense" law . . . that means that if they chose to prosecute (probable in most cases), YOU get to raise that as your DEFENSE to what you did. That ride will cost you most if not all of what you own, and you MIGHT get off.

??? i would feel ill?

You damn well better feel ill!

In MA, in most (but not all) cases, the issuing authority will give an order to suspend your LTC and confiscate everything.

You MIGHT get some stuff back at some time, but . . .

- The "non-evidence" confiscations can be put in a bonded warehouse where it will cost you thousands to bail out and it's an "all or nothing" venture so that most people never get their guns, ammo, mags back at all.

- Even when ordered by the court to return guns, some PDs have refused, lost the items, etc. Some will return the items (usually in terrible shape by then) but some won't as a matter of policy/practice. [This info although dated, came to me via a firearms attorney that I've known for a very long time.]

i think in ma they would confiscate everything you had untill it was settled in court for sure

In MA the consequences of shooting someone in self defense are not quite as bad as the consequences of NOT shooting someone in self defense.

How can anyone tolerate living under such conditions?

Blood bonds are not strong enough to put up with that shit.

Probably, but there's no way to tell. IMHO it's far more likely if you have a dead guy on your property at the end of the incident. Once someone dies, the authorities look at the incident in a completely different light.

-Mike

Probably, but there's no way to tell. IMHO it's far more likely if you have a dead guy on your property at the end of the incident. Once someone dies, the authorities look at the incident in a completely different light.

-Mike

For the better or for the worse?

Seeing as we're all talking hypothetical here.. Wouldn't it be more practical to bury the body and stonewall any/all questions?

Yah, why don't you try that and then write us from prison to let us know how it worked for you.

Back
Top Bottom