1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

If you shop at and like Market Basket, please read

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Acme.Armament, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Delta Elite

Delta Elite

Ditto for his daughter who I met on Cape at their Bourne store. I told her we wanted a store further down Cape and She was very interested in hearing about the different towns and peoples shopping habits as well as the fact I drove thirty minutes to go to their store. She was a class act. Great people are pretty rare these days.

2. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I worked there for 41/2 years

I used to work at Market Basket in high school and college. All total about 4 1/2 years. I was paid very well for a high school kid, always received a $100 christmas bonus!
    I still shop there and see people I worked with 25 years ago are still there, so that has to tell you that you can make a decent living and advance to management postions in that company, had I stayed, I would have done that like they did. I would have Crapped my pants though , 2 summers ago when they had the work stoppage. (Man that would have been scary with a wife and kids to support!)
    Thats why people shop and support the company, they don't jack up prices, and try to to treat people like people

3. Mike

Mike

I saw him at the Woburn store recently. He was walking through the store shaking hands with everybody. Employees and customers alike.

4. In God We Trust

In God We Trust

Family legend says that my old man briefly dated one of his daughters back in the day. My dad was a bit of bad boy back then and mr. D didn't approve.

He sent a couple of well known thugs over to have a chat with the old man. He never called her again. [emoji23]

This is all family legend as I said but I suspect it's true

5. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

You could have been rich!

6. HagueBrook

HagueBrook

I used to think that the MB in Bellingham was kind of low rent but the War Dept. made me go there with her one Saturday. There are some characters there, but I have become a convert. Prices are unbeatable and the meats turn over so quickly that everything is very fresh. I know people (me + others) who have gotten spoiled chicken from OTHER grocery stores, but never had a bad turn at MB in 5+ years. Always the same people working there and working hard.

Glad to see this success story here in the Progressive Fascist Republic of MA.

7. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

Ever notice? The employees have white shirts and ties,
    the meat and deli crew are decked out in sanatory gear,
    they are alwayes hustling , and the meat and produce are the freshest .

8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I've definitely had some issues with their chicken spoiled way too quickly before, some issues with fruits or produce going bad far too soon as well. But that said, its still worth shopping there. Definitely cant beat the prices.

The Newer of the two almost side by side stores in Salem NH is pretty nice, its HUGE too! Might just seem bigger because of the large beer and wine isle though.

Can't say I've ever met Artie T, but from all the stories Ive heard over the years, its not too hard to understand why all of his employees stood up and fought for him like they did. I dont think that any of my coworkers would do that for our CEO

9. NHCraigT

NHCraigT NES Member

That's the official MB "uniform".

From bagboy to store manager, to Supervisor, to VP.

10. s&w3913

s&w3913 NES Member

It used to be like that at every grocery store. Then in the mid 2000s stop and shop and price chopper changed to polo shirts.

I love market basket and I shop at one whenever I get the chance. I just wish there were more out in my area of central ma near Worcester.

11. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart NES Member

Not sure about meat but I've had terrible luck with produce, it always spoils way faster than Hannaford.

12. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Market Basket is Whole Foods for the Working Poor. I shop there...

1 person likes this.
  13. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

For the last time, the big green bin out back is not the organic produce bin. SHEESH!

2 people like this.
  14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

weird as I see 100% of the Produce coming from the Plantations/Farms and the Inspectors are checking every load that comes in, testing it for all kinds of crap, if they don't like a $110k load they call the feds to come and log it, then it goes back to growers and this happens daily.And that's 1 truck think about 30-68 18 wheelers a day coming in.

15. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Now that NH has multiple Whole Foods, all the markets seem to be upping their game.

I have the reverse luck -- fresh produce from Hannaford doesn't keep, I get much better produce lifetime from Market Basket.

Costco has improved their fresh produce selection, though you still need to buy mass quantities. I made the mistake of picking up a single 'sleeve' of their cake-like fresh bagels, and the cashier refused to sell them to me -- I had to buy 2.

16. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I'll say that it seems that after the strike the produce seems to be better. I strongly considered sticking with Hannaford for anything but the boxed goods after the strike due to the better produce.

Now that I live in Pelham, I have a Hannaford 2 miles away, and MB is 15 mins away. I shop them both equally, big shops are at MB. I really like that Hannaford lets you know which farm the produce comes from, so you know its fresh and local.

17. JuergenG

JuergenG NES Member

During our last two stays in Merrimack, NH we did all our grocery shopping and beer runs at MB in Nashua. Guess, we've messed up their re-order point for Pilsener Urquell big time and they were drowning in it after we left [rofl]

18. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

You came all the way from Germany to drink imported European beer that's available everywhere ???

Shame on you!

You should have been enjoying our local microbrews, the stuff you can't get back home, such as 603, Tuckerman, Sea Dog, Wachusett, Shipyard, Red Hook, Smuttynose, Blue Lobster, 7th Settlement, Jacks Abbey etc.

So many beers, so little time........

1 person likes this.
  19. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Drinking with Juergen is one hell of a time!

20. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Zappa, where's the pic?

21. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I learned a very long time ago to never try to keep pace with a European!! [laugh]

>35 yrs ago the hotel in Merrimack right off Rte. 3 was a Hilton and DEC had a number of buildings off Continental Blvd. So the Hilton gave us DECcies special rates and a happy hour (free drinks) each afternoon. I was there for a week long seminar and met someone from one of our European offices at happy hour. After a few drinks there the two of us went off for dinner (fancy place called "something" Jacks IIRC) with a bottle of wine. It wasn't a smart thing to try to keep pace, that's all I'm going to say! [rofl]

22. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Many a GI learned some humility by going on Sunday morning Volksmarches, where 80 year old German women walked them into the ground, then drank them under the table at the Fest tent afterwards.

23. JuergenG

JuergenG NES Member

We've tried some but quickly went back to the tasty stuff. For someone being used to Pilsner for about 40 years an IPA is quite hard to digest.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha! Happened to me in Munich, sitting vis-a-vis to an old Bavarian Lady during Starkbierzeit. It was hard to keep up.

24. boatman

boatman

BTW, if you want fresh hamburg meat, instead of taking pre packed ones that you have no idea how long it has been out, you can ask and they will grind it for you. You can ask them to do this with any type of meat as well. If you just won the lottery, you could ask them to grind up filet and they will....

25. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Apple Cabin Foods

Somebody at my local Market Basket has a sense of humor, probably a LiarTown fan.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  26. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I find the best meat is from Trucchi's and the worst produce from same. MB is fine for produce, I just don't get there often. Their sales can't be beat. $3/lb chuck roast last week. I made 2. One to eat as pot roast. The other got cooked yesterday and shredded for tacos.

Oh, and their wings were HUGE. Not them baby-wings that Hannaford's has. I like Hannies, and it's the closest to my house. But their wings are meh. Specialty food out the ying-yang, tho.

I didn't know they'd grind-while-you wait, Boatman. Next $3 chuck roast day, I might take them up on it. Grab a couple of roasts, add in a bag of beef suet and I'd be good for hamburgers for a while. :)

I do wish that MB stores were about 6' wider, overall. Across 12 aisles, that's about 6" per aisle that would greatly improve the ability to move throughout the store. It was crazy in there last Thursday yet it wasn't that crowded.

Oh, and I'm not sure how good it is, but they have partial-bone-in rib roast for $6.99 a lb this week. (BJ's whole boneless rib roast might be cheaper in the long run.) And $1 Barilla pasta sale as well.

27. boatman

boatman

At least at the one I go to will do this.

Also, we get sushi there. It is very good, and about half the price of a sushi rest. They have pre packaged stuff that they make on site, but if you ask the sushi chef for something specific, he will make that while you shop and you can pick up your whatever roll you asked for.

28. Bando_Red

Bando_Red

Reminds me of my time at Tedeschi's

http://imgur.com/a/uLuz9