1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

If you shop at and like Market Basket, please read

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Acme.Armament, Jul 15, 2013.

1. richc

richc NES Member

As an ongoing entity, without the employees and their loyalty and experience, Market Basket drops in value every day.

Anyone considering an offer must realize that any profits previously generated are a thing of the past. As an ongoing concern any buyer will be highly unlikely to bring back those same levels of profitability. The glory days are over, and their bids for the chain should drop accordingly.

Arthur T has the power, and is likely the only person alive who could salvage this business and value. Market basket needs their employees and customers, and Arthur T holds the key to bringing this all back together.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

"Blue Sky" is the intangible value of the reputation and the employees of a company. MB without ATD has ZIP in that category. They have real estate, contracts, and a "name"......worth about the value of the real estate alone. Haven't stepped foot in it since this started, and won't step foot in it if ATD is not reinstated. Just, imfho.... like not doing business with BofA. There are some people that talk the talk, but if Bof A were to offer 10% cash back, or any other hyper-anti2nd Am companies offer a minute spiff......some people here will get on their knees and submit.

3. mattyw

mattyw

unless you work for the government/state

4. ARV

ARV

This. And if they dont have the capacity to handle the volume and restock, there are plenty of companies they could turn to to get everything quickly. Most stores get daily shipments and have very little in the back rooms (that's for ALL grocery stores) because its an on-demand system. I ship to some S&S stores twice a day. If they settled everything they could have a store up and running over night if they brought in all the employees and worked all night. They probably have pallets waiting to go at their warehouses for when the dust settles.

5. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

My understanding is that salaried employees get paid before they work. And these people have not been working in July. So basically they got paid for July but didn't work the entire month. Now they are being told - you didn't work, we are not paying you. What's the problem?

6. warwickben

warwickben bubba Kalashnikov NES Member

I have no problem with people who didn't work not getting paid . But there are people who did work , or where out on vacation planed before any of this happened that got letters saying they didn't work .

7. PaulD

PaulD

I've never known a company where salaried employees get paid before they work.

If you start a salaried job, you don't get a check (pro-rated as applicable) until the next pay period after you start.

8. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

Correct. Which is why I am trying to find the article about this. But if someone has failed to do their job for the last 2 weeks, the company would be within it's rights to not pay them.

9. RHJJ

RHJJ

10. Buggin

Buggin Dealer NES Member

I'm sure they'll all fold and rush back to work. [hmmm]

11. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I'm salary and I get paid the 1st of the month for that month.

12. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart NES Member

13. mattyw

mattyw

3 people like this.
  14. yanici

yanici NES Member

Yeah, and even though they have no work, no customers, and are laying off people and cutting hours, they went ahead and had a job fair. I don't get it.

There are 25,000 loyal employees ready to go back to work and 2 million shoppers ready to buy. All it takes is to do the right thing.

2 people like this.
  15. radioman

radioman NES Member

All BS aside my wife has worked for MB for 10 years. She worked through the walkout to serve the customers. She could have walked out and got paid but she chose to stay and help her customers. She's not a person who could stand with a sign all day. It would drive her crazy. Her heart is with the protest but she stayed working. Now shes out for good. Weather you walked out or not we're all out for good now. No pay check.

I'm disabled and haven't worked a "regular job" in 10 years. I do what I can under strict doctors supervision. I just got out of the hospital from eye surgery and I suffer from other maladies as well. My insurance only covers my medicines for the first 7 months of the year the last 5 months we're on our own. 450 bucks a month until January. My wife looses her job just as my pill bill goes through the roof.

The Demoulas family feud is making families suffer! Not one of them will miss a meal or a bottle of necessary pills but many of their employes will.

My advice is just knock it off and settle this shit so people can get back to work and get a pay check!!

1 person likes this.
  16. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Sorry to hear about the tough situation you are in, but I have really been wondering, is Artie T gonna reach in his pockets and use some of that $500+ Million he's worth to help all the people who put themselves out there for him???

17. RHJJ

RHJJ

Yes how long can most of them hold out without a pay check? I bet reality will be setting in soon.

18. Hoover

Hoover

This is yet another public stance that will only anger customers more. The two douche ceo's are utterly clueless in PR.

19. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

Gotta hate those rich folks...it's the democrat thing to do! He HAS a reputation of helping out his employees....how much do YOU donate to charity?

20. MrsStrangeNH

MrsStrangeNH NES Member

Isn't that exactly what he's doing by attempting to buy out the Arthur S side? Handing out cash to all the people who stood up for him is a short-term fix at best and Arthur T knows it. Getting the business back online and all those people back to work is a far better solution.

1 person likes this.
  21. Greg

Greg

Just heard an interview on Fox news..

A grocery buyer 20 year employee wearing a "Market Basket Strong " shirt says that she can't be fired by the current board,only Artie T can fire her.She has no idea who these people are who want to fire her.

Talk about delusional.

I support those workers by not going to a MB since all this crap happened but damn.....

1 person likes this.
  22. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

How much did Fox pay her?

23. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

Well one thing is for sure. This business sure isn't like buying and selling real estate.

24. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

hope this crap ends soon. last night at stop shop east gloucester, ordered up some american cheese at the deli counter. Random moonbat old hag standing there says: "you know, thats not REAL cheese.. " wtf. My 5 year old was with me, chomping a slice the deli lady gave him while she wrapped up my selection, so I held back. I smiled and informed her yes, I knew, but I liked it and my son likes it. WTF?

25. Greg

Greg

Just seen the full interview..

She also said she would sell her house before she went back to work for the current board.[thinking]

Whatever...I'll probably be supporting all these disenfranchised workers through my tax dollars soon enough anyway.

26. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Yes, the difference between a hand-out and a hand-up, you explained it well.

27. MA_Shooter

MA_Shooter

Just another low-info voter.

28. Cassadilla

Cassadilla

i went to hannafords again last night. i will spare ya'll the rant. suffice to say there was much rage on my part.
    next week i'll be trying luccis. i am sick of this BS and want my MB back.

29. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The job fair is about sending a message to current employees.

30. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

I found that a great source of entertainment for me was to let my 5 yr old push the cart around on his own in that busy S$S. kept him busy, and big mood lifter for me watching him run into moonbats and stacked boxes. his only instructions were to say "scuse me" if he hit anyone TOO hard.