If you shop at and like Market Basket, please read

mike01824

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think it's funny people have this colt like following for that store.
Insanely over-priced....Always packed, kind of like Whole-Foods.
Calling another store's shoppers cult like in the epic market basket thread... Pot meet kettle.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
was talking with someone who claimed to know some of the insiders, and she said ATD's offer was the only valid one on the table at this point. All this "Hannaford" stuff is a misdirection to keep the pressure off the board. She thought they would eventually cave and accept ATD's offer, like in a week or so.

ntomsw

Banned
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
was talking with someone who claimed to know some of the insiders, and she said ATD's offer was the only valid one on the table at this point. All this "Hannaford" stuff is a misdirection to keep the pressure off the board. She thought they would eventually cave and accept ATD's offer, like in a week or so.
Why put it off? These people look like absolute ass hats, and everyone knows it.

yanici

NES Member
Rating - 97.1%
34   1   0
Not gonna quote the newspaper article. Now the S. side is claiming they offered to sell to T. last week but he refused. Can't say as I blame him though. Their offer to sell to him was contingent that he (T.) do his financing through them, with the S. side holding the paper and dictating the terms of interest and collateral to be held.

Seems to me, that they want to bleed more money from T. in years to come. They had their golden goose that gave eggs continuously already but after killing it they want it back.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why put it off? These people look like absolute ass hats, and everyone knows it.
What happens to the board of directors when it's sold? They are all out of the money for serving on the board. That is a very easy lifting job. Only shareholder on the board is S but 5 of 7 were elected by S's side.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not gonna quote the newspaper article. Now the S. side is claiming they offered to sell to T. last week but he refused. Can't say as I blame him though. Their offer to sell to him was contingent that he (T.) do his financing through them, with the S. side holding the paper and dictating the terms of interest and collateral to be held.

Seems to me, that they want to bleed more money from T. in years to come. They had their golden goose that gave eggs continuously already but after killing it they want it back.
It's comical the S side thinks they can dictate anything here. They've lost, it's over. Amazing they just can't accept it yet.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
A guy I know has a couple of sons who have worked at MB for years. He told me the other day Deval's wife is a lawyer for Artur S's side. I havent heard that before and it kind of sounded too good to be true. Did a bit of research and her firm has some involvement with MB. I would of thought that angle would of gotten more attention than it has.

He's trying to play "champion of the little guy" while she's maintaining her 1% status by representing the rich and powerful.

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_26306484/patrick-calls-market-basket-crisis-out-hand-offers

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Oh my God. Did S's mother drop him when he was a baby or something? Give me an effing break. Yea, like anyone with half an ounce of common sense would take that deal.

S's side probably also asked for a demand clause for immediate full payment if they choose to call in the note too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like ASD thinks that he is in the drivers seat. He never was and now is too entrenched to admit it.
They've been clueless since the start. The misread it completely, misread their power in this, issued statements and taken actions that were HORRIBLE PR wise and have been a day late and a dollar short the whole way. The BoD, S, etc. with their bank accounts and high paid consultants, etc. have been taken to the cleaners by the employees.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The entire S side are what are known as Parasites. And most likely a good portion of the Artie T side.
They do not create or construct, repair, or serve, or otherwise contribute anything of actual substance.
Like a Tick sucking blood on a dog.. what happens to the tick without the dog?

Both sides are dug in now. Its trench warefare. pass the popcorn.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from what I have seen about the history, the Arthur T side are no angels either![rofl]

what you CAN say is that Arthur T is a very good manager, and knows how to get high quality work out of virtually every employee of the company.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
from what I have seen about the history, the Arthur T side are no angels either![rofl]

what you CAN say is that Arthur T is a very good manager, and knows how to get high quality work out of virtually every employee of the company.
I have never seen so many people get behind a man like the employees of MB. That is enough for me to believe in the cause.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
of course not. The only two options that ATD has now is some miracle where they accept his offer, OR Hannafords buys it all, and they make ATD the CEO of the "market basket division" for something like 5 years, and he gets it back to running well.
Not likely as the Demoulas family is not well liked in the grocery industry. Dirty dealings over the years have put them out of favor with the rest of the grocery industry. The other thing is if someone bought them they will want to run the stores their way, not the old MB way.
Personally I dont think you will ever see the old MB back at this point, they obviously are not going to sell to ATD and i dont thing there is anyone who will carry forward his values.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to the Bellingham MB today with my wife to see how it looked and took some photos. Here is the dairy aisle, which is normally crazy:
IMG_1284.jpg
The entire front of the store. Only saw a handful of customers.
IMG_1285.jpg
Bread aisle
IMG_1286.jpg
Produce
IMG_1287.jpg

These were taken around 1:30 this afternoon.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even if this gets settled soon, which I seriously doubt it will, it is going to take weeks for them to restock all of their 71 stores.
If it were to be settled, and the same management team was put in place, the stores would be fully stocked and operational in less than a week.

That is why they were able to be so profitable = extreme efficiency.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

But T's side of the family is the one that built the chain. The other side were along for the ride

- - - Updated - - -

I went to the Bellingham MB today with my wife to see how it looked and took some photos. Here is the dairy aisle, which is normally crazy:
View attachment 111267
The entire front of the store. Only saw a handful of customers.
View attachment 111268
Bread aisle
View attachment 111269
Produce
View attachment 111270

These were taken around 1:30 this afternoon.
The bellingham does do very good business. Maybe the BoD should take a ride and see what's going on.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bellingham does do very good business. Maybe the BoD should take a ride and see what's going on.
It was really surprising. I have never shopped there with any regularity, but any day or time I've been there every register has been open with at least a few customers at each register. Today they had two registers open with no customers at them. Of the few employees that were there, only a couple seemed to be in dress code. One kid was walking around with a frozen pizza that he cooked somewhere. It was surreal.

NHAtHeart

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One thing most people haven't chimed in on is the far reaching effects of MB being down and out.

Others stores in the MB plaza's are suffering due to lack of MB customers
Suppliers to MB stores, I imagine a lot of produce has rotted and severely damaged farmers/distributors
Printers/advertising folks who are no longer producing the MB weekly ads
Part time employees who have no hours, no income to spend on rent/laundry/groceries/gas etc.
All the supporting businesses where the part time employees spend money

Just to name a few...

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
One thing most people haven't chimed in on is the far reaching effects of MB being down and out.

Others stores in the MB plaza's are suffering due to lack of MB customers
Suppliers to MB stores, I imagine a lot of produce has rotted and severely damaged farmers/distributors
Printers/advertising folks who are no longer producing the MB weekly ads
Part time employees who have no hours, no income to spend on rent/laundry/groceries/gas etc.
All the supporting businesses where the part time employees spend money

Just to name a few...
I was thinking this as I cut open a Hannafords onion that had a rotten core...

Top Bottom