1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

If you shop at and like Market Basket, please read

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Acme.Armament, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Acme.Armament

Acme.Armament NES Member

Turns our the BOD wants to fire the CEO and go for more profits rather than maintain the quality. Petition to Save Market Basket

We both love the MB near us and everyone has always been nice to us. The employees at ours do not want the CEO to get fired. All are in favor of keeping him.

We've both signed the in store petition. Please help if you would.

Thank you.

Adam Kling

4 people like this.
  2. soloman02

soloman02 NES Member

I'd like to point out that the Market Basket history isn't exactly a good one. The current CEO (Arthur T. Demoulas) is the son of George Demoulas (who defrauded his brothers family to the tune of nearly a billion dollars before the courts ruled against him). This article mentions Arthur T. is accused of doing some shady things (like his father before him). I should also note, Arthur T. Demoulas (CEO) got into a fist fight with Mike's son, Arthur S. Demoulas. So Arthur S. (who is spearheading the charge to oust Arthur) still has a grudge to settle it seems.

The Demoulas v. Demoulas trials are a modern example of what not to do in and out of a courtroom. And are requisite reading in any Freshmen college law class.

I guarantee there is more than meets the eye here and a lot of dirty laundry is going to be released soon.

Great Business Trials I: DeMoulas v. DeMoulas

Demoulas v. Demoulas SuperMarkets, Inc.: A Case Study in Business Ventures Going Bad | Boston Business Divorce

ETA: I'm not saying you shouldn't sign the petition, but sign it knowing the whole story and not the one side that the petition site presents.

3. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

No question that there's been some nasty family history and plenty of publicly-aired dirty laundry behind the MB chain. But I really don't care. All I care about is continuing high quality, continuing good service and the lowest grocery prices around by far. Christ, they even manage to beat Walmart where the two compete.

I say the highly successful "devil I know" is better than the devil I don't know. I'm sticking with "T" over "S" to run the show.

4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

No Market Basket thread could ever be complete... without THIS.... [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I like what they carry and their prices.

Also, the Middleton one is very good at hiring local high school kids and working around the kid's schedule to keep them employed while maintaining their grades.

6. Gidge

Gidge

watch out for this --

[​IMG]

It seems the default on this petition makes you automatically signed up for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee ---

Uncheck the box BEFORE you sign the petition or you'll be receiving crap from the lefties [laugh].

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

I'll sign it. I don't care about the politics involved. I'm against greed at my expense.

8. dennism

dennism

I don't know about this petition but I sure wish they carried my product line. Lol.

9. Duece

Duece

Signed on my and my wife's part.

10. mclina

mclina

Our town likes Market Basket so much that we have two of them, practically across the street from each other.

The best part is that since everyone starting shopping at the nice new store, the deli line at the old store has vanished, and there's plenty of parking.

1 person likes this.
  11. jbrunel

jbrunel

12. JuergenG

JuergenG NES Member

They do carry beer in NH....even Czech Pilsner Urquell at a very affordable price.
    Been there, shopped in one of the Nashua and Salem stores and liked it big time, same with the rest of the family.
    I'm going to sign that petition and if it asks for mandatory entry of a U.S. zip code I'm going to use 03076.

- - - Updated - - -

Salem, NH?

13. ntomsw

ntomsw Banned

Where we are moving in NH, there is a Market Basket 5 minutes away. So that's where we will be shopping.

14. mclina

mclina

Westford, MA

I guess they have a few years left on the old lease, and don't want any competition, so they are maintaining two stores.

There is talk of a Whole Foods coming in when the lease is up.

15. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

they are obviously a very well run company....routinely carry products 30% cheaper than stop and shop. Would not want it to get all f*cked up

16. NeverMiss

NeverMiss

My DUH-Mulas' Story:

I remember when I was about 17, my family baught a new boat to replace our older one. When we were looking at it, the sales guy said there was one person who showed great interest in it, but had not yet paid for it or put a deposit on it. So, my Dad loved the boat, so he wrote a check to the marina for it. A few days later, when we went to go pick it up, the salesman told us the "other interested party" showed up a few hours after we put the deposit on, to buy it. The salesman told us how the guy was pissed. The salesman said he appologized, but money in hand gets the deal! The guy stormed off, pissing and moaning to the other people with him. The salesman said it was the "Guy who owns DeMulas supermarkets". HA! we stole their boat! Love that story.

17. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

At first I was thinking, "what the hell does this have to do with Market Basket?". Then the horns kicked in...[rofl]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  18. Gidge

Gidge

This is correct and why they can keep the prices down (no debt).

19. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Yeah their prices beat almost everyone on most things, even Walmart as someone said earlier. Good quality too, fish, produce.

20. Acme.Armament

Acme.Armament NES Member

So families have quarrels. Theirs got more press than most family quarrels do. I like them and shopping at 7am on MOnday is nice. Their cafe also has very nice double espresso. [thumbsup]

They only thing I don't like about MB is they used to have Christie's Bloody Mary mix. Now they can't get it for some reason.

21. Jude Thaddeus

Jude Thaddeus

My wife, five year old son, and I signed the petition yesterday when we went food shopping. I have found that Market Basket/DeMoulas are consistently the cheapest place to shop for food in our area. They even beat out Walmart.

1 person likes this.
  22. Duece

Duece

I've always loved when someone says, well I shop "at market X" because they're cheaper

I cannot help but laugh, I'm almost 50, I have shopped at every market in this area, including a few that are LONG gone.

Sure, you "might" find a particular product that may be a few pennies cheaper but your across the board shopping bill, no way is it going to be cheaper.

23. highlander

highlander

Hope this little spat doesn't screw up the MB they want to put in Lynn. Literally a 5 min walk from my house. 2 Min if I cut a hole in the fence owned by GE.

1 person likes this.
  24. jdgill

jdgill NES Member

Yeah be careful. My dialog box would have signed me up for Mayors Against Illegal Guns. How nice[puke2]

25. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell NES Member

No problem Adam

i avoid MB for one reason: crowds. It's like they're giving stuff away. I will say the times I have gone there I have had great service and fresh produce. S+S isn't bad but it's certainly not good.

26. xero2099

xero2099 NES Member

I live near their busiest store its so bad sometimes you get caught in the traffic of people waiting to get into the parking lot so I will park on the street close by if i have to go in but compared to the other stores in the area they are cheaper

27. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

The new one in Bedford NH is awesome. It's huge, clean and has the best prices in the area.

It is also MILF central. Holy shit, the eye candy there is amazing.

1 person likes this.
  28. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

I originally started shopping at Market Basket because they don't do the "Loyalty Card" BS, now that Shaw's has dropped loyalty cards, I might give Shaw's another chance.

The new one in Westford and the recently opened Bedford, NH location are their "cafe" design, with a slightly different layout than the older stores. Great place for a cheap lunch, but I liked the old layout better for actually doing a weekly grocery run.

29. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

...and the two in Westford are less than a mile apart. Too funny.

30. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

If you love MB, don't go to the one in Methuen. You walk in and get hit by a fish odor (not a good one). The fish counter is at the back of the store. They also have a fly issue in the deli area and fish counter. Other MB's have been known to re-date meats and keep them out for sale. Such as something set to be pulled one day, but is simply relabeled/packaged and given the date something fresh would have.

You won't catch me voluntarily shopping at Market Bucket.