• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you must buy a cheap spotting scope, what do you buy?

mac1911

NES Member
I need a spotting scope 80% of use will be 100 yards and watching the deer across the street over the bogs. I have been scanning the opptions in the 200.00 or less range

Tasco (propoint red dot)
Celestron ( older telescope for tracking stars)
Barska ( binoc)
Busnell ( a few scopes)

Seem to be the top producers in this $ range.

I own products of all 4 above in ( ) been happy with the price point on these ?

Any tips or other recomendations

I held out and kept browsing the forum until I say a quality one go up for sale in the classifieds.
Better to purchase a good one to start then to waste your money on a product that you will want to replace quickly.

Define cheap?

I got a Barska at Cabellas for just over 100 - 20 - 60. Works beautifully at 100 yds and 'works' at 200.

I bought a used Minox MD62 for under $300. With a little patience, you can find a quality scope that fits your bill.

I bought the Barska 15-40x50mm and the thing is the biggest piece of crap. There is a thin plastic ring that attaches the eye piece which broke on mine. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd time I used it and it broke for no apparent reason. It split perfectly in half. I had to manually pull or push the eye piece to focus in which is a royal PIA. The stand that it came with is junk too. I wouldn't buy a Barska again.

I had a chance to try a few scopes this week
Tasco straight tube------------I couldnt see shit, my eye ball was bounceing off the lens
NcStar----can we say no focus @ 100 yards
then a no name POS it seem to be very clear BUT I dont think it came close to the 50magnification it claimed I could see the target but not the holes ???

I have decided to buy the 1st one @ a yard sale I find for 25.00 or less to use for now until I save or sell more stuff

Bushnell 15-40x70, not the best clarity, but under $100. Works fine at 100 yds. I'm reasonably sure it would work beyond that. At 50 yds., I use a pair of 8x compact binoculars.

Bill

It must be my eyes, I tried a friends celestron I could not get a clear image. Also the eye relief on these things so far sucks. I want one I can use with out removing my shooting glasses.

It must be my eyes, I tried a friends celestron I could not get a clear image. Also the eye relief on these things so far sucks. I want one I can use with out removing my shooting glasses.

Yeah, I use shooting glasses, too. When you remove the rubber eye piece, no problem. I like the fact the eyepiece is removable, and comes in a separate protected case. Not sure on the clarity issue..... could be scope-specific.

I have a Barska 18-90x88 and I thought it was a POS until I spent time figuring it out and now I love it. Cost me about $60. I knew by buying cheap I was getting cheap but it gets the job done.

I received a prompt reply from Optics Planet stating that they are sorry they are not able to price match the Amazon deal on the Celestron spotting scope.

I got a Tasco 20-60-60mm for $59.95 from Walmart. It came with a decent tripod, better then the one that came with my bushnell one I tried for $159.99. Since my range don't have any thing that's over 100 yrds this will do. I can see my 223 holes very clear at 100 yrds.

Back
Top Bottom