• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you knew you were headed in to a gun fight...

Mostly this was just an excercise in my brain where I was examining my own EDC and plan.

What's the purpose of my EDC?
To get my family and I out and away from harm.

What if getting away is not possible?
Hunker down, hide until police arrive.

What if hiding and waiting is not possible?
Fight it out.

Is my EDC up to that? Am I? Should I adjust my EDC? Should I not worry about it and just stick with the current plan?

Obviously a long gun is preferred. Obviously not being there in the first place is preferred. Obviously Robocop's pistol is preferred.

I have a lot of time to think while I work.

My EDC is a .380 so I would switch to my Glock 26 with two mags. I also own a full size 1911 but capacity trumps caliber in my mind. Also the Glock 26 shoots so nice and easy. I don't EDC the glock because it's too damned fat and heavy.

Mostly this was just an excercise in my brain where I was examining my own EDC and plan.

Fight it out.

Is my EDC up to that? Am I? Should I adjust my EDC? Should I not worry about it and just stick with the current plan?

Obviously a long gun is preferred. Obviously not being there in the first place is preferred. Obviously Robocop's pistol is preferred.

My EDC is enough to take care of a mugger.....or some asshat threatening my life. I don't leave the house prepared for a mall shootout with multiple threats. My snub nose 357 fills that role and I don't feel under prepared.

Do I have to still live in MA while I attend this required hypothetical gun fight? If so, Glock 17. Just give me some extra rounds. I'll take a std-cap in the gun and a 33rd stick mag in my back pocket, thank you. ;)

make sure disposal of your remains are prepaid.
In the old days a $20 bill in an empty cylinder under the chamber would do it. Now, you would need a note with collectible valuelike a $500 or $1000 (which start at double face value and go up). $5K and $10K notes are too pricey for a regular funeral.

Ill take a 10/22 with a GSG 110rnd drum mag and just pew pew them until they go "ow ow ow! make it stop! OW! I SAID STOP! OH GOD IT BURNS! AAAHHHH!! "

If I knew there was going to be a gunfight at a particular time and location, I simply wouldn’t be there.

Unless you are the Great One, if you are one against three you are likely going to lose.

Exactly. And even if one did end up in this scenario, most likely their situational awareness failed.

I’m also thinking my Glock 34, accurate, Low recoil for fast follow up shots, but still effective if loaded with then right rounds. In a shoulder rig with 2 spare mags, you would have 1+(3x19)= 58 round available. I would normally carry something smaller, lighter and more concealable.

Fight it out.

To add to your thinking, 99 % of gun owners I have met lack training with a firearm never mind tactics and METAs

amX5oPo_700bwp.webp
I bet he shot it once "once"

Fight it out.

Is your edc up to a planned fight against 3 armed guys? It’s obviously not ideal. Not be there/long arms and buddies with armor and vehicles are better, but who can build that into their daily life?

Carrying a pistol in any sense is making a sacrifice. If up to you to decide how much of a sacrifice you’re willing to make for comfort and your needs - professional attire, social cost, and overall happiness.

For me I simply can’t roll around all day in hard armor and BDUs carrying a Glock 34 with multiple spare magazines.

But most of the time I can swing a G19 with a 17 round magazine and a weak side spare.

Sometimes I can only carry a shield and no spare.

If I go to the local garbage city after dark I’ve been known to wear concealable armor, but only if weather permits.

There’s a lot to balance with your self defense plan and its hard for me to suggest something concrete without knowing the circumstances of what and how you can carry.

Rule of thumb for me is basically carry the biggest gun I can with the most ammo I can while still concealing and being mostly comfortable.

Also: don’t overlook a little first aid stuff and a little formal education. I’ve been in multiple situations where I’ve come across someone who needs first aid stuff that requires a hospital trip but none where I had to shoot it out with terrorist bank robbers.

First, as others have said, I wouldn't go. If it was unavoidable, and it had to be a handgun, I'd carry something that held a lot of .45 acp, like a Glock 21. The only reason I don't carry a Glock 21 every day is because it's a bit hard to conceal under a T shirt. It's like trying to conceal a brick.
If I knew, I wouldn't go either. That said, G21 is my EDC year round with my Dual Lumbar support. That's 3 Mags. I'm confident in my ability up to about 20' with my EDC. If I was in a duel, I'd want my S&W 627. I can shoot a 5" circle at 25 yards, but in reality based on all that I've heard, it'll be up close and personal. I can draw from concealment fairly well. I often have my 32 Seecamp on my ankle as a back up but If I knew what was coming I'd have my other G21. I'm Left eyed but I can fire a handgun Right handed, just not as well. Up close I don't think being two fisted would be a detriment.

upload_2019-4-24_21-53-2.png

My EDC is an LC9s, so I’d switch to my 1911 in your scenario.

Fantasy/Mack Bolan/comic book answer: I’m taking a hacksaw to my old 870. A dawn off shotgun identifies as a pistol, right?

1858 Remington clone .44 cal, loaded with 40 grains T-7 and 141 grn LRB.. Doubles as a flame thrower and lays down a tactical smoke screen.. okay seriously.. GP100 6" barrel loaded up with 158 grn fmj for its rifle like qualities inside 100 yards. Up close? Like within the same building? eh.. 1911 .45

Back
Top Bottom