If you had to leave Mass and move north...

What state would you choose: Maine or New Hampshire? From a firearms point of view. Taxes, chances of future legislation, etc.

Neither.
Moving from a moonbat state to a potentially-down-the-road-moonbat state isn't really much of an option.
Unless you make snow and ice for a living, limiting yourself to those 2 is counterproductive. Getting out of the North East is the only real option.

When you factor your total tax burden and don't throw your hands up over property tax rates, NH is the clear winner. You get to pick what you pay for. Don't care about schools? Pick a cheap shitty school district. Don't care about sewer or trash pickup? Pick a town without. Don't care about 24 hour police coverage or a full time FD? Find a rural town without. Etc. Then, when you have picked your slice of hillbilly hevan, SHOW UP AND VOTE TO KEEP IT THAT WAY.

Guns? No brainer, NH has some of the best gun laws in the country right now and getting better every year. Are you a doom and gloom, iTs GoNnA gEt WoRsE!, retard? If yes, then stay put in MA.

Last edited:
26 years ago I made the call to retire in Maine and it involved many reasons including what I want to do. Bought low, sold super high (200% profit) then designed and had built a custom home for the two of us. Spent the whole nut on it and then some more.
If my tax bill was 10K a year I'd crap myself. For 10K I could pay my property taxes, all LP burned plus pay most all of the utilities.

My retirement date is in 2023 or maybe sooner. We both will work in some capacity to stay busy but it will be something that we want to do.
How is Maine for taxes on retirement income? 401K, IRA, investments, etc.?

If you're talking about southern Maine or NH you might as well stay in MA.
I lived in the white mountains of NH before moving to Maine and tourism has exploded. Every weekend, all summer, and ski season the tourist communities are packed with tourists from MA, NY, and NJ.
I'm in rural Maine now in my cabin on 30 acres and my property taxes are $1,400 per year.
Hardly any crime up here, people open carry and no one bats an eye. I even drive my ATV to the store.
The politics don't seem to effect much up here, it's more of a live and let live attitude. You won't see any liberal nutjobs protesting anything here. American flags all over and no one is tearing them down or burning them.
The only issue I have with Maine is no hunting on Sunday.

When it comes to property taxes in NH you need to look at each town and each house.
If your looking at a reasonably sized older home in a town with a lot of McMansions your taxes will probably be ok.
Avoid subdivisions at all costs.

My wife and I will be retiring in 3 years. We are currently doing the research and will be buying a place within the year. We also figured we would go to NH or ME. ME for us is more appealing because my wife is from ME and we both have spent lots of time all around the state.

Lately we have expanded our horizons and are considering either Texas, Florida or SC. South Carolina comes into the mix because we have family down there right on the coast. I was looking at places in Corpus Christi Texas and there were some beautiful places right on the ocean for less than $500k.

The current idea is to rent a seasonal campsite on Long Lake in ME and park a Camper and boat there. Spend the summers on the lake and the winters down south.

If thinking retirement consider tax implications on your income. Some states give retirees a break. Also a pension from an entity in one state cannot be taxed if you live in another. Retiring to say NH or ME from Mass and getting a pension from a Mass based company would not be subject to any Mass income tax.

How is Maine for taxes on retirement income? 401K, IRA, investments, etc.?
It’s not great for sure. I’m currently weighing a substantial lump sum payout for my pension. What I do with that after is currently in question. It’s not money I’m willing to gamble with to be honest. My wife also has a pension and 401. Not as flush so that needs to be on the table as well.
House is free and clear. I’ve already obtained everything I want for my tractor and tools are abundant. We have small projects scattered around but most of it now is labor and that’s free for me. It just takes longer. She can help on some stuff but I normally just putter along by myself.
Fact is being remote doesn’t leave a lot of places to just go spend money because we can.
The fly in the ointment is truck/car replacement in the future. That would be the largest expenditure I can foresee.

Why go north? If I want better gun laws, better taxes, better home prices, better weather, and better just about everything I'd go south. Tennessee would be my number one choice.

Yeah. You need 10 acres in current use.

The trick is to buy a larger lot-say 40 acres. Keep or put 38 acres in current use, and pull the remaining 2 acres out to build. A gotcha is if those 2 acres are in current use, you'll have to pay a penalty to change the status.
Is there a penalty upon sale for those years of current use?

I would move to NH simply for the fantastic outdoor activities. I'm in NH every weekend anyway. I'm either hiking, skiing, winter hiking, camping, fishing, you name it. Better service, better roads, friendlier people, lowest violent crime per capita in the country. Country eating 😋. Low taxes and guns are just icing on the cake.

When I lived in ME the frigging excise tax was a giant source of aggravation. Buy a used car from a dealership, show up at the town office with all of the paperwork, and they look up book value. If book value is higher than what you paid , guess what you pay tax on. They tax you for money you didn't spend; A, and B; (unless it has changed since then) the rate decreases for 5 years, then remains constant. Now that I don't live there I can laugh at my buddy who is still paying something like $600 per year in excise tax on a 20 year old Land Rover.

Why go north? If I want better gun laws, better taxes, better home prices, better weather, and better just about everything I'd go south. Tennessee would be my number one choice.

If you grew up in New England and actually like the climate, enjoy winter sports, have family nearby that you want to be able to see easily, etc. Going south is all well and good if that's your thing but keep in mind that you'll always be the Yankee and it's a different culture. I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different. Moving from MA to NH or ME requires no cultural shift. Half the people up here are from MA originally.

Neither.
Moving from a moonbat state to a potentially-down-the-road-moonbat state isn't really much of an option.
Unless you make snow and ice for a living, limiting yourself to those 2 is counterproductive. Getting out of the North East is the only real option.

Yeah that really is one of the big problems. My family was working hard to move to NH. The wheels fell off that due to Sununu and his ideas. It completely ruined the remaining trust I had for NH leaders. He's supposed to be on "our" side and he's acting like a punk ass bitch for rent. Writing may be on the wall with that one for the state. Time will tell. I hope it's not the case but it was something I never thought a "(R)" gov from NH would do.

NH has a lot of pretty liberal places. Portsmouth is completely insane out of control with the SJW/woke bullshit. And that city has influence in NH whether people here want to admit it or not. There's some huge ass money coming out of that part of the state now.

Yeah that really is one of the big problems. My family was working hard to move to NH. The wheels fell off that due to Sununu and his ideas. It completely ruined the remaining trust I had for NH leaders. He's supposed to be on "our" side and he's acting like a punk ass bitch for rent. Writing may be on the wall with that one for the state. Time will tell. I hope it's not the case but it was something I never thought a "(R)" gov from NH would do.

NH has a lot of pretty liberal places. Portsmouth is completely insane out of control with the SJW/woke bullshit. And that city has influence in NH whether people here want to admit it or not. There's some huge ass money coming out of that part of the state now.

I went to Portsmouth for the first time last year, holy shit that town is worse than Cambridge.

Good food though :)

I just applied for a new job at my company. If I get it, I will need to relocate to NC when sh*t opens again. If it happens, I will probably keep my place in MA and wait to sell it.

I love NH. I love being in the middle of all the tech companies, universities and good hospitals in MA.

But f*** the North East. Taxes are retarded. I could get a 15% paycut, move south and live better.

I just applied for a new job at my company. If I get it, I will need to relocate to NC when sh*t opens again. If it happens, I will probably keep my place in MA and wait to sell it.

I love NH. I love being in the middle of all the tech companies, universities and good hospitals in MA.

But f*** the North East. Taxes are retarded. I could get a 15% paycut, move south and live better.
NC is pretty far off from the paradise, you know. I really would not say it is soo much better than MA.

Back
Top Bottom