• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If you had to buy a lever action and a revolver...

Calibres

• Total voters
Food for thought, if you had to buy a lever action and a revolver in the same calibre, what calibre would you choose and why? Bonus for pictures of the the pair you would get.

My top choice would be for 38/357 just because ammo is readily available in many cost options. From there I'd go with 45 Colt. Ammo is not as plentiful, but it's a great caliber in revolvers/levers. I'll post up some pics when I get home.

For the FUTUER......I'd get the ruger 8 shot redhawk and a henry big boy in 357 magnum.

However I currently DO have a henry 22lr lever and a ruger single 10. Both are fantastic guns and I have hunted grey squirrel with both......at the same time! Fun as hell and more than enough gun for small game hunting.

holy shit! I only know of 2 manufacturers of 45-70 revolvers......magnum research which will set you back about $2000 and the century arms which will cost you $3000. that's a big friggin revolver to pack too!

I would definitely recommend .357/.38 because my favorite revolver is a Ruger GP100 in .357, they make a Marlin 1894 in .357, and its an easier caliber to find and its cheaper. Personally I own a S&W 629 Mountain Gun and a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum because I can't bring myself to get rid of the 1894 in .44 and therefore I figure I ought to keep a revolver in .44...so because I am an idiot. :)

I went the .357/.38 route. A Marlin 94 and a Rossi 92 for rifles and Ruger New Vaqueros for the pistols. Least expensive ammo for cowboy action shooting using .38s and some real power if you switch to .357 for social use.

Doesn't hurt that I also own a Ruger SP101, S&W models 13 and 19.

i used to be intrigued by the 357 mag until i started shooting 44. i find the 44 mag's power a pleasure to shoot without being silly like a 460 or 500. while the 357 has more readily available ammo but 44 mag ammo seems to have come down in price quite a bit. can be had now for under $30 a box. the velocity of the 357 out of a 16 or 18" barrel is retarded fast. basically at rifle velocities around 1800+ ft/s. i'm sure underwood ammo can even top that. the 44 mag also gains quite a bit from a long barrel but for some reason it feels more like shooting a 28g shotgun slug. this whole notion of pistol and carbine shooting the same cartridge is overblown. in an ugly situation i would be reaching for a 223/308 rifle, not a lever carbine (YMMV).

my current lever actions are:
-HRA 35-70 steel w skinner rear peep sight
-HRA big boy steel 357 mag w skinner rear peep sight
-Uberti 1873 in 357 18" case hardened

I had a henry steel carbine in 44 mag and i stupidly sold it. regret that. should have kept. all of these levers have been phenomenal. the henry repeating arm rifles are built for heavy use. i like the lockup system. they are robust. with the skinner rear peep the sight picture is fantastic. if looking for a classy lever gun just get an uberti don't dick around with henry or marlin. the Uberti is worth the price tag difference. of course the 1873 (so i am told) isn't ideal for heavy use or powerful loads.

. 357.
I shoot full on 357's in the 1894 and 686 a lot. Although I wish for a 1894 in .44, max loads in my Model 29 are at the limit of what I can handle, as far as shooting it fairly well offhand. Anymore than that, I would guess folks who can shoot them well are few and far between.

Since I have a .357 revolver already, I'd be looking for that in a lever gun.

45-70
holy shit! I only know of 2 manufacturers of 45-70 revolvers......magnum research which will set you back about $2000 and the century arms which will cost you $3000. that's a big friggin revolver to pack too!

i shot my friends once and have refused every other time he brings it to the range. its not fun to shoot but it is really funny to watch someone else shoot it. after the 2nd round my wrist hurt and handed back to him. OP never said it had to be fun

Henry all weather 44 mag and a Dan Wesson 744 revolver for me, so I vote 44 mag. Then again I reload so 44 mag doesn't hurt the wallet too bad.

Well, I screwed this one up by the way I got into recreational shooting--ended up with multiple caliber pairs. For what it's worth, my favorites are .45 Colt first followed by .357 Magnum as a close second, but .45 Colt wasn't viable until I started reloading because (a) factory .45 Colt is expensive and (b) anything except premium commercial .45 Colt ammo is woefully under-powered (probably to protect vintage SAA's). I like .44 magnum, but I'm not super fond of shooting it in revolvers that aren't big and heavy, so I download my .44 magnum handgun loads to something more than .44 special but not really "magnum" enough to deserve that name. I prefer full-power loads in the lever-action rifle in order to get smaller drop at 100 yards. The ammo I prefer in the one works just fine in the other, but the difference weakens the pairing.

Having said all that, I'd choose .357 Magnum if I could only have one pair, especially if the lever gun can cycle 158 grain .38+P well.

Going this route it's fun when you go old school single actions. Holster on left are two Uberti Cattlemen in 45 Colt. One in 5.5" and the other in 4.75". The center lower is a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt w/ a 4.75" barrel that is a backup right now. Right side is pimp daddy style. A set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros in Stainless with pearl grips in 38/357. Both have 5.5" barrels. I've topped it off with a blued Uberti 1860 Henry in 45 Colt and a Rossi 92 in 38/357. Of course the whole thing isn't complete without a Cimmerron 12 GA Coach Gun and the cowboy hat is a must! ;-)

Yes, I'm working towards getting into CAS/SASS and meeting the leader of the Harvard Ghost Riders next month for an introduction. Should be fun. IMG_1089.JPG

My Dan Wesson Model 15 and my Rossi 92 are both chambered in .357

I really want a Coonan to round out the collection

I'm doing this debate right now. I have both 357 and 44mag revolvers so just have to decide which lever action to get. When in doubt buy both will probably be my motto.

Have a Smith 29 and a Big Boy in 44. Ya know, cuz bears and such. And Big foot... everyone knows that 357 is light for a full grown Sasquatch. Oh, and I have a Golden Boy and a 610 is on my list because fun factor is 11 out of 10.

Have a Smith 29 and a Big Boy in 44. Ya know, cuz bears and such. And Big foot... everyone knows that 357 is light for a full grown Sasquatch. Oh, and I have a Golden Boy and a 610 is on my list because fun factor is 11 out of 10.

Yup. Smith 629 and 16" marlin lever action 44 magum. Easy to reload up and down the velocity scale.
But, I also have a Smith 625 and a 16" marlin lever action 45 long colt cuz I can load it hotter than the 44 magnum. .45 long colt magnum is very nice if you reload. You should reload.

My choice isn't listed. I have a Marlin 1894 FG with "jm" marked barrel in .41 mag. Along with it a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag revolver with a 4 5/8" barrel. To me it's the ideal combination. My second choice would be my Marlin 1894 CS with "jm" marked barrel in 38/357 with a Ruger Blackhawk 38/357 revolver with a 4 3/4" barrel (measurement per FA10).

Back
Top Bottom