• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If they only knew

BattleSnail

Banned
So an old colleague of mine, my former manager at my previous employer actually, had moved away to Austin about 4 years ago. Always like him, good guy.

Well he was back in town recently in my new employer's office (same line of work, direct competitor) looking for a job. He grew tired of Austin and wanted to move home. So I'm chatting and shooting the shit with him telling him how I came to leave the old place and took a job here blah blah blah and then this lady comes over who knows him from waaaay back before he worked at the other company, he actually worked here..if that makes sense....anyway...

she interjects into our conversation but it's cool bc she hasn't seen him in years and wanted to say hello all that...I've only been at this firm for under a year so I don't know everyone well yet and she's not in my direct group, but I always knew there was something real smug and douchey about her but never having really engaged her in conversation I couldn't put my finger on it...So she's talking to our mutual friend about Texas and wanting to come home and she says and I quote, "yeah I mean Austin is a really cool city but outside of Austin, like the rest of Texas is just really like umm Texas, you know just ass backwards, you know that gun toting stupidity". I chose to stay silent. Wasn't the time or place to get in a political debate with her and I'm being considered for a promotion where I could potentially become her boss in the next couple of months...so the less people who know about my guns the better and I definitely don't want anyone ever knowing about carry at work.

I bet she'd have shit herself if she knew she was standing next to someone who had a loaded gun on his hip under a polo shirt 2 feet away from her [laugh]

Very VERY few people at work know I own guns. It is my plan to keep it that way. Good job keeping quiet, I say. It can be tough sometimes but is often worth it.

Very VERY few people at work know I own guns. It is my plan to keep it that way. Good job keeping quiet, I say. It can be tough sometimes but is often worth it.

agreed....most people, even my bosses knew I owned guns at my old job...the senior vp would occaisionally ask me about it. We used to talk politics and he was a staunch republican. We saw eye to eye on the gun issue even though he didn't personally have interest in them....but he asked what I though after Sandy Hook and I told him. He agreed with me that stupid new laws wouldn't work and didn't really have anything to do with reducing these incidents...BUT, no one knew I carried there even though those days I had a Sig P229 on me every day.

I generally don't mind people knowing I have guns...if they don't like it then **** them. But they can't know I carry at work as it would be immediate termination.

- - - Updated - - -

Austin is the Cambridge of Texas - I liked it, especially the backwards-assed, gun-toting rednecks

Yeah I hear Austin is all hipsters and yuppies, but apparently has a badass live music scene.

Being circumspect is fine, and I'd never suggest anyone compromise his/her career, but I'm getting old. I've reached my level of incompetence (the Peter Principle, q.v.), so I'm not worried about losing out on promotions. I yam what I yam and don't much give a shit who cares. Part of what I yam is a gun owner and exerciser of my 2A rights. I don't flaunt my views, but if it comes up, I don't shy from them. If you don't like it, I've got a big, hairy ass you can kiss.

Two of my kids were born in Austin. I'd probably still live there if my (then) wife hadn't hated it so much.

Although, I went back last year on business, drove through my old neighborhood, and it was an absolute craphole. This was a brand new development in 1996, and 15 years later it looked like Mexico.

I'm being considered for a promotion where I could potentially become her boss in the next couple of months...so the less people who know about my guns the better and I definitely don't want anyone ever knowing about carry at work.

I bet she'd have shit herself if she knew she was standing next to someone who had a loaded gun on his hip under a polo shirt 2 feet away from her [laugh]

I hope you get the promotion. Also, PLEASE record her first review given by you. [grin]

Very few at work know I own guns. The only one who knew I had carried was my friend when he needed a temp job to comb over the winter months. Concealed is concealed. If I ever need to use it to defend the people there, I doubt anyone will scold me for carrying the tool that saved their life.

Ahh working for yourself. Don't like my NRA shirt, don't like the colt sticker on the truck. Well how can we resolve this.. Wait I know, you can go ahead and kiss my rebel d*ck.

Back
Top Bottom