If not an AR what would you get

A pair of kindergarten scissors with the rounded edges and the plastic that stops you from cutting yourself. MA allows nothing else.

But in fairness, I'm an old fashioned kinda guy. Give me good ol walnut and bolt action over a lot of the plastic crap they have out now.

Given what I am able to get in CT, the only real choice is between a M1A, Mini 14/30 or a SKS. I would choose a Mini 14.

Speaking from someone who owns a scar 17, while i enjoy it, and have shot the scar 16s, i feel the need to say that what can that 3000$ scar 16s do that a cheaper alternative for an AR15 like a sig mcx, or bren do for cheaper. I do not see the need for the scar in 5.56. In 7.62 it is a whole different ballgame. It is a beauty that is almost unmatched.

If i wanted a 5.56 rifle tomorrow, i would be looking for one in the classifieds or grab a sig mcx

f5bd1c2efa18ed2cec9e4ec20ae34a47.jpg

I built one of these recently...WAY too much fun :D

A3F8CD53-F713-4524-9BB1-6CE7AF56C071.jpeg

If they pass an awb on the poster child AR/AK stuff, or limit mags to 10, I'd go big on all future purchases next:

Rifle - barret 50 in semi auto
Handguns - .45 minimum

As far as operationally equivalent stuff, a mini 14 or mini 30 is the simple thing but dont be surprised if you do an iteration of sending them back to the factory. Ruger has outstanding service and lighting fast turnaround but flunks in quality control. For this reason Id be real hesitant to buy one used unless it was from a good friend and was known to be tip top.

These rifles are not tack drivers but are accurate enough to turn anything alive that might be a danger to you or would feed a family into swiss cheese at 100 yards. And once you have a good one they seem to be reliable with reasonable parts support, although Ruger is gonna solve your problems if needed no matter what..

Deal with mini's is though, generally you should feed them brass for reliability, and use only factory mags up to 20 rounds - be happy with 20 its a good reliable capacity.

Never knew that. Léger = light. Which is funny because after you've rifle drilled with one for a couple of hours you feel like your arm's going to separate at the elbow.

Maybe compared to other Belgian auto-rifle designs? Because you're right.

Maybe compared to other Belgian auto-rifle designs? Because you're right.

I think its called "light automatic rifle" because the FAL's weight is comparable to something like a Garand or a FN 49. The 50.00 FAL weighs 9.4lbs and the Garand and FN 49 weigh 9.5lbs. Plus the FAL in its original metric guise has full auto capability.

In comparison, a heavy automatic rifle would be the Browning BAR/Polish wz. 28, which weighs 13lbs.

Back
Top Bottom