If not an AR what would you get

Let's just say hypothetically you couldn't get AR/AK etc.

What would you get in it's place?

I have shown pics of a 10-22 and SW MP15-22 to non gun friends. They always express shock when I tell them that both rifles have the exact same capabilities, semi auto 10 round etc. The MP just 'looks' more killy.

So what performs like an AR in either .223 or .308 but doesn't look like an AR?

f5bd1c2efa18ed2cec9e4ec20ae34a47.jpg

Su16 B has been a solid performer if I wanted ar mags. Love my m1a though.

following.. I got almost $1k in Bass Pro points saved up.. wish I could buy one of the ARs they sell in a free state.. alas I'm stuck.. what to get..

PTR. (Barely) under a grand, mag fed, 308, mags under $10. From what I understand made on the original tooling from Portugal. Still looks killy though if that matters.

I have shown pics of a 10-22 and SW MP15-22 to non gun friends. They always express shock when I tell them that both rifles have the exact same capabilities, semi auto 10 round etc. The MP just 'looks' more killy.

Hi Maura

Depends entirely on application. Hunting? Any bolt action in .223. Competition shooting? Tavor, AUG, Beretta AR160, HK 416, etc. Home defense? Shotgun.

The answer is clearly a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

In place of an AR? SCAR-16, MCX, or Tavor. Depends on if you favor a more traditional trigger and manual of arms, or compactness. Oh, and price.

Last edited:
What to get or what did I want?

FN-FNC
AR180
Daewoo K2
Is a Galil really an AK? I guess it is. :(
H&K93
A myriad of pistol-caliber 1980's action-movie guns, not including my already-acquired Uzi.

Fixed that for you....

Dont get me wrong.....I'm not an M1A hater......those stocks make that rifle a boat anchor

Yeah. I had a Troy chassis on my M1A. Looked mean. I quickly put it back in the wood. Sold it to some fellow here....

Fixed that for you....

Dont get me wrong.....I'm not an M1A hater......those stocks make that rifle a boat anchor
Thats actually part of the reason I want one. I have a walnut M1A, which I love, but I really like heavy rifles, so wouldnt want a second M1A, in a chassis.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't there rifles like the SIG556 which are piston operated , and though they look similar to AR15 are not included in Healey's reinterpretation of the MA AWB? What about the Ruger SR556 ? Their internals are not interoperable with AR15's except for the magazines, because the bolt carrier and gas system are all different.

I was at Four Seasons maybe a year or so ago, and they had some SIG556 rifles for sale. They were used, and I dunno if they still are being produced, but you find them on gunbroker frequently. I had both the 556 and 556R (takes AK mags). They were excellent rifles, built like a tank, though kind of heavy. But for how I shoot (which is at the range from a bench or offhand) I like heavier rifles, it's easier to keep on target.

Back
Top Bottom