• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If I go to Florida for 6 months how do I bring my guns?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
OK, its been a while since my last stupid question so I'm ready for another!

Thinking of heading to Florida for 6 months to a year (may stay forever) What is the best way to keep my guns and be able to carry while there? Not sure if I have to change my residency permanent or not. I may go for a few months but if I like it I may stay forever. Would like to be able to carry while there at a minimum? Any help would be great.

Chris

Get a resident permit and buy new fun ones
Resident permit? You don't need a permit to own guns in Florida? Do you mean a resident CCW?

To the OP: if you're planning to stay there that long, get a Florida DL and buy whatever guns you want when you come back. (Don't come back!!!)
Getting a CCW permit down there is a simple task. They're shall issue and pretty quick.

Resident permit? You don't need a permit to own guns in Florida? Do you mean a resident CCW?

To the OP: if you're planning to stay there that long, get a Florida DL and buy whatever guns you want when you come back. (Don't come back!!!)
Getting a CCW permit down there is a simple task. They're shall issue and pretty quick.

The only flaw in your plan is that he would need to give up his MA ltc most likely because he is technically "moving" at that point, and is required by law to notify his issuing PD and the state.

OK, its been a while since my last stupid question so I'm ready for another!

Thinking of heading to Florida for 6 months to a year (may stay forever) What is the best way to keep my guns and be able to carry while there? Not sure if I have to change my residency permanent or not. I may go for a few months but if I like it I may stay forever. Would like to be able to carry while there at a minimum? Any help would be great.

Chris
Per FOPA, transport guns to FL, but if driving use a route the avoids ban states that are known for ignoring FOPA. Get FL non-resident CWP for carrying.

The only flaw in your plan is that he would need to give up his MA ltc most likely because he is technically "moving" at that point, and is required by law to notify his issuing PD and the state.
So? He gives the LTC up temporarily in exchange for the ability to walk into any gun shop and buy whatever he wants without paying the FR prices he's stuck paying for the exact same thing here. He moves back and applies for his LTC again within his grace period. Doesn't sound like an issue to me.

So? He gives the LTC up temporarily in exchange for the ability to walk into any gun shop and buy whatever he wants without paying the FR prices he's stuck paying for the exact same thing here. He moves back and applies for his LTC again within his grace period. Doesn't sound like an issue to me.

This might be the best scenario, buy lots of goodies while there. Legal to possess in FL, just no CCW until you get the permit. Drive there with all locked in cases, unloaded, and don't stop. As long as you have your old training certificate from MA, you are good to go for the CCW permit regardless if doing as resident, or not. If you have your training certificate, make an appointment ahead of time at the licensing office, they do prints, photo, all at once.
If you dont have your certificate, may be easiest to just go to a gun show, they have them all the time and the class there is just a few hours, and they do the fingerprint card & photo too, then you can mail in.

Why not set up a dual residency (MA and FL)? That would allow you to keep your MA and set up a FL one and buy the goods MA peasants are not allowed.

My plan is to basically sell most of what I can here (so check the adds!) and just buy what I need down there. Didn't want to loose my MA license but maybe that will be my excuse to NOT come back. Thanks for the good info!

This. It's the route I took in June when I drove to Texas. Mass Turnpike to Route 84, stay on 84 into and through NY State. You will almost go into New Jersey, but won't. Then down through PA, MD, WV, and then VA. In VA, you can work your way east towards 95. This give you the added benefit of avoiding Washington, DC. If you have a MA LTC, the states where you can carry are very limited. If you have a NH non Resident, that list expands, but still doesn't include FL or SC.

84 to 81 and south. As close as you can come to NJ without actually being there.

He isn't moving until he decides not to come back/has been there for a year without coming back. You can be a part time resident of multiple states.

My plan is to basically sell most of what I can here (so check the adds!) and just buy what I need down there. Didn't want to loose my MA license but maybe that will be my excuse to NOT come back. Thanks for the good info!

When are you going and what part of FL? BTW, might pay to try and get a non-res permit before you leave if you have time.

84-81-77-26-95. Only anti gun states are ct, ny and md. Dont stop in any of them. Once you pass MD your good to go.

If i leave around 2 am eat breakfast at 8 in PA. Virginia for lunch and usually stop off 77 around charlotte for dinner and overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I notified the state and local PD. All I got in reply was a note from the state (Ma) saying my address had been updated. Not a peep from the PD.

Yeah, avoid New York. I guess they are right in Maine, "You cahnt git theyuh from heyuh."

There isnt a way to avoid NY if driving...
northeastern_us_political_map.gif

Last edited:
Looks like Ft Lauderdale, or at least that area.

South Florida, you will enjoy. My girlfriends kids are in Delray Beach, and I have a longtime friend in Boynton Beach area with a boat/jet ski rental business.

Lot's of good tips on the driving. One more... avoid any NRA, 2A, etc. stickers on the vehicle, or your clothing. Likely to cause the question to be asked about if you have firearms.

Don't tell nobody anything, you may be back right? I believe that was one scenario. Keep your MA LTC. A temp work assignment doesn't mean a permanant move. If you stay in Florida for good, just don't renew. And honestly, I wouldn't get on a public forum to air my plans. I'm not a lawyer but why over think this.

Why do you want to keep your MA residency? Is there some benefit to a MA drivers license? They all work the same. It is not like you get benefits from being a resident, just higher taxes and more commie b.s.

OK, there's a lot of confusion in this thread and I'd like to explain how things work in FL as someone who is a resident of both MA and FL. I am not a lawyer and can only speak of my experiences and understanding based on researching residency laws listed in the ATF, talking to the Dept of Agriculture (which handles permits in FL), and talking to LGS in FL.

1. Residency in Florida is a fluid thing that depends on the area of business/government. Example: Residency for in-state education has different requirements than taxes than car ownership etc. Wrt gun ownership it follows the federal law. If you have property and are in the state you are a resident. However, some LGS will have different rules - some require a state picture ID, which would mean giving up your MA drivers license. Of the 3 stores I like to frequent only 1 requires picture ID.

2. Owning guns. Anyone who isn't a felon and is a resident can purchase and own a gun. You can have it for home defense and you can drive it locked up to your range without requiring a permit of any kind. You need a concealed carry license to carry concealed. there is no open carry in FL. There is no concept of resident or non-resident permit, my address is not on my FL permit. concealed carry is more limited in FL than it is in MA (Shocking!). A nice bonus if you're a resident is that having your permit waives the 3 day wait period when purchasing a hand gun.

3. If you have a residence and you go to buy a firearm you should take a copy of a utility bill or property tax bill to prove it. Some places are tied into the local county database and can look it up on the spot, some can't.

4. Pawn shops are usually FFLs.

5. I am domiciled in MA so retain my LTC. My Florida permit, as I mentioned, is not resident specific. When I change my domicile to FL I will give up my LTC and if I wanted to carry in MA would have to get a non-resident LTC.

Again, IANAL, this is based purely on my own personal experience and reading. Honestly, in FL no one seems as hung up on stuff as they are here they think MA laws are idiotic and take delight in pointing out the stuff I don't need to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom