If given the choice, Glock made in USA or Austria?

The ones I'm looking at are Gen 4. I like the finger grooves that come with Gen 4 that are no longer there with Gen 5. Though I have heard that Gen 5 has a better trigger.
Good Lord...

If you want finger grooves, get a Gen 3.

Gen 4's are known for all sorts of problems since the day they came out.

OK, just read on that. Started with Gen 4 guns back in 2014 with trigger part number 336. They haven't made a Glock with that Trigger part number in several years. I'll be double checking the gun to make sure but I doubt many new guns from 2014 are around still.

OK, just read on that. Started with Gen 4 guns back in 2014 with trigger part number 336. They haven't made a Glock with that Trigger part number in several years. I'll be double checking the gun to make sure but I doubt many new guns from 2014 are around still.
Just get a Gen 3.

They are built like tanks and easy to work on unlike the newer Glocks.

If you know a guy - they even make new ones.

What is "difficult to work on" on a newer glock?

not sure if serious
The newer Glock are more difficult to work on the trigger housing and related parts.

The Gen 5's can't easily be stripped down all the way. You can still service them but not take down all the small parts.

Certified Glock Armorer since 2009

I can detail strip and assemble a Gen 3 blindfolded. It just takes a long time.

The newer Glock are more difficult to work on the trigger housing and related parts.

The Gen 5's can't easily be stripped down all the way. You can still service them but not take down all the small parts.

Certified Glock Armorer since 2009

I can detail strip and assemble a Gen 3 blindfolded. It just takes a long time.
Not sure if serious I've upgraded most of my gen 5s. The parts are slightly different, that's basically it.

So? 🤣 the entire housing btw is like $30

Who takes those apart, ever? Other than a connector swap. (Which requires no spring removal)

Let's not pretend this is like swapping a sear cage in a CZ..... 🤣
Most people do not know how to install that part properly.

It is stressed and you get tested on it repeatedly in class.

It's counter intuitive and if you didn't take the class or have a Armorers Manual - you likely put it in wrong.

The way it fits in is wrong.

I'd prefer the simplicity and reliability of a Gen 3.

A monkey can detail strip and assemble a Gen 3.

The ones I'm looking at are Gen 4. I like the finger grooves that come with Gen 4 that are no longer there with Gen 5. Though I have heard that Gen 5 has a better trigger.
I started with a Gen2 G23 as my first firearm in the early 90's, went to Gen3 G23 which is now a G19, bought a Gen4 G19 and sold it when Gen5 G19's came out and bought a Gen5. I prefer the Gen4 by far, I've bought 2 Gen4 G19's, 1 Gen4 G21 and now waiting for my Gen4 G17 from Gunbroker. Can't beat the price especially since most are LEO trade ins with night sights.
I also own a Gen3 G22 which became a G17 thanks to Randy.
Do I have a problem?
:cool:

Most people do not know how to install that part properly.

It is stressed and you get tested on it repeatedly in class.

It's counter intuitive and if you didn't take the class or have a Armorers Manual - you likely put it in wrong.

The way it fits in is wrong.

I'd prefer the simplicity and reliability of a Gen 3.

A monkey can detail strip and assemble a Gen 3.
In the real world (tm) nobody ever has to take that apart, ever.....

I don't know enough about Glocks to know which is preferred over the other. So if given a choice of getting a Glock would you prefer it was made in the US of A or directly from Austria? Everything else being equal what one would you choose and why?

Yes, this is a real question. Yes, I have this option. Yes I'll be moving forward with one of them.

And yes, I know it's "just" a Glock.......
Both are the same pistol, designed to the same specs, there's no difference, they look the same and shoot the same, at least mine do.

In the real world (tm) nobody ever has to take that apart, ever.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmPGiwIQbIc

If you ever do, the "hook" needs to be placed properly with the other parts.

It's very easy to screw up and there is an additional function test to make sure it's done right.

You also need a small screwdriver to do the detail strip.

Prior to Gen 5 you only needed a Glock Tool - or punch - to detail strip the whole gun.

If I ever needed to do a repair for the most replaced part in a Glock - the trigger spring - I like knowing I could do so with only a Glock Tool.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmPGiwIQbIc

If you ever do, the "hook" needs to be placed properly with the other parts.

It's very easy to screw up and there is an additional function test to make sure it's done right.

You also need a small screwdriver to do the detail strip.

Prior to Gen 5 you only needed a Glock Tool - or punch - to detail strip the whole gun.

If I ever needed to do a repair for the most replaced part in a Glock - the trigger spring - I like knowing I could do so with only a Glock Tool.

The most replaced part? I find that hard to believe.

I've owned literally several dozen glocks, (some with big 5 digit round counts) and I've never replaced that part..... not even once..... 🤣 if i think the gun is couzed up that bad I send it out, or would just replace the whole housing.

The most replaced part? I find that hard to believe.

I've owned literally several dozen glocks, (some with big 5 digit round counts) and I've never replaced that part..... not even once..... 🤣 if i think the gun is couzed up that bad I send it out, or would just replace the whole housing.
I think the recoil assembly is to be replaced every 5,000 rounds. I'd have to look that up.
The trigger spring has a similar replacement recommendation.

If you had a Gen 5 that needed a new trigger spring and you didn't have the small screwdriver in your kit for the repair - you'd be screwed.

A weekend class goes through 1,000 rounds or more.

I would never be caught without spare parts and a Glock tool during a class.

Gen 3 Glocks are much more serviceable in the field compared to Gen 5.

If you had a Gen 5 that needed a new trigger spring and you didn't have the small screwdriver in your kit for the repair - you'd be screwed.
No, not really, I'd just use another gun. That's like the entire point of the platform. It's inexpensive enough you can just keep duplicates around if you want/need to. And its robust enough that you'll rarely if ever need them. I can't think of a single shooting event or a training course in the past 15 or so years that I never bought a backup gun that was holster compatible with me...

I don't see the drama in getting all ginned up over a trigger return spring. One that rarely if ever breaks.

Even then.... if it bothers you that much, why not just carry the whole housing with you? Are you really that cheap? (that's like a 30 dollar assembly) .

As usual on NES this always comes down to skinflinting. [rofl]

I'm surprised you of all people though didn't mention the only real advantage to Gen3, and that is, that you can frequently end up with a lighter trigger pull on the old system than you can get with the new one.... vs factory default. Like for example my Gen 3 19 breaks at 4.95 with a 3.5 minus installed, and I doubt any of my Gen5s break that low.

If your argument was "I prefer Gen3 because theres a wider parts compatibility and I build out P80s on the reg" then I can buy into that, that's actually a solid argument.

I think the recoil assembly is to be replaced every 5,000 rounds. I'd have to look that up.
The trigger spring has a similar replacement recommendation.

A weekend class goes through 1,000 rounds or more.

I would never be caught without spare parts and a Glock tool during a class.

Gen 3 Glocks are much more serviceable in the field compared to Gen 5.
Always bring a spare gun to a class. Even if you had enough parts to make a repair, who has time for that?

No, not really, I'd just use another gun. That's like the entire point of the platform. It's inexpensive enough you can just keep duplicates around if you want/need to. And its robust enough that you'll rarely if ever need them. I can't think of a single shooting event or a training course in the past 15 or so years that I never bought a backup gun that was holster compatible with me...

I don't see the drama in getting all ginned up over a trigger return spring. One that rarely if ever breaks.

Even then.... if it bothers you that much, why not just carry the whole housing with you? Are you really that cheap? (that's like a 30 dollar assembly) .

As usual on NES this always comes down to skinflinting. [rofl]

I'm surprised you of all people though didn't mention the only real advantage to Gen3, and that is, that you can frequently end up with a lighter trigger pull on the old system than you can get with the new one.... vs factory default. Like for example my Gen 3 19 breaks at 4.95 with a 3.5 minus installed, and I doubt any of my Gen5s break that low.

If your argument was "I prefer Gen3 because theres a wider parts compatibility and I build out P80s on the reg" then I can buy into that, that's actually a solid argument.
These people actually waste more time and money flinting. It's actually cheaper to do things properly. They just don't realize it.

I didn't realize I was doing it but I've been running an an Austrian upper on a US made frame. And the US upper on the the Austrian frame. From my small data set (glocks i looked at since this thread started) it seems that there are more Austrian made guns out there.

Back
Top Bottom