IDPA where to start.

OK I have done plate and pin shoots at the club and now want to try Run and gun. I really want to start IDPA but have no clue where to start.

So
What clubs offer a begginer class, and how do zi get started easy?

GOAL runs an Intro to IDPA regularly (shooting portion at Worcester Pistol and Rifle): http://www.thegoalfoundation.org/courseschedule.html

We're running one at Harvard Sportsmen's Club as well, but I believe it's sold out.

Have you taken any defensive pistol training? If you're comfortable and safe with drawing from a holster, another option is to come to a practice or two. Worcester runs practices on the first Sunday of the month at 630PM. Harvard has practices on the first and third Mondays, 5-730 and 730-10.

The practices are worth going to, kind of gets you over the first time jitters. I brought the old lady to a practice and the match the following weekend and she did OK for her first time.

Be careful, it is a bit addicting.

I am looking forward to it, I handled a few of those fancy race guns and felt the need to give it a go.

I thought I was doing good, getting into IDPA. I have everything I need to be competitive as far as gear goes. Then I had to go and start watching USPSA videos and looking at the really cool toys you guys have. Now I am looking at that tax return and getting antsy.

I thought I was doing good, getting into IDPA. I have everything I need to be competitive as far as gear goes. Then I had to go and start watching USPSA videos and looking at the really cool toys you guys have. Now I am looking at that tax return and getting antsy.

Depending on the division you shoot in IDPA, your existing gear is probably competitive somewhere in USPSA.
SSP -> Production
CDP -> Single stack (as long as it's a traditional 1911)
ESR -> Revolver
ESP -> Limited-10 (if your ESP gun is a 40. You can shoot a 9mm ESP gun in L10 too, but you'll be at a disadvantage scoring minor{

Pick up some extra mags/moonclips and give USPSA a try. Once you shoot a few matches, if you want to try one of the racier divisions, ask around; people seem to be very generous with sharing their guns.

Shoot what you have. Well, you may have to pick up a couple more mags. If you don't have at least 4, you are under-equipped.

Come play, see what you like and then pick a division to compete in.

The practices are worth going to, kind of gets you over the first time jitters. I brought the old lady to a practice and the match the following weekend and she did OK for her first time.

Be careful, it is a bit addicting.

HARVARD HAS A INTRO TO IDPA COMING UP IN MARCH ...THERE GREAT GUYS AND YOU'LL GET ALOT OUT OF IT ....WORC. CREWW ARE GREAT TOO IF THATS CLOSER FOR YOU

I am in Harwich. If you want to have coffee some time and discuss USPSA let me know

Back
Top Bottom