IDPA suspends club, MD and shooters for allowing AIWB in competition

Quick question on the cover garment, and I apologize for taking this a bit off topic; is it mandatory you wear a Walmart greeter type vest? I carry IWB at 330 - 4 o'clock and would want to compete the way I carry. I generally wear a hoodie in colder weather and a t shirt in warmer weather, both of which cover. I never wear a friggin' vest!

Quick question on the cover garment, and I apologize for taking this a bit off topic; is it mandatory you wear a Walmart greeter type vest? I carry IWB at 330 - 4 o'clock and would want to compete the way I carry. I generally wear a hoodie in colder weather and a t shirt in warmer weather, both of which cover. I never wear a friggin' vest!
Absolutely not mandatory to wear a vest and many don't.

Nothing makes a plaintiff's attorney happier than to find
the defendant's Executive Director armflapping on social media
about what is and isn't so dangerous that
"we would never be able to get liability insurance
if X ever happened".

That's the real sign that you've got the right people in charge.

Not my circus,
not my monkeys -
jus' sayin'.

I was allowed to shoot IDPA with my thigh rig work holster

That is covered in the rules.

Local club matches have been known to bend the rules a bit. I'd wonder if their was an incident what liability the club would face?
As expected, every incident that has happened at Sig's facility has been during a movement involving holstering...not unexpected.

I carry in that manner. The only time I actually use it in any "event" in during firearm's qualifications a few times a year. Wouldn't make sense not to do so.

Suspend the MD ...the club officials probably had no idea what was happening. The shooter???? Well, the MD did allow it.

As far as a cover garment......rather not. but the vest is an idiotic method. I knew one very talented guy who wore an old sportcoat because that's how he carried at work. Wore it at the several major matches he attended. That makes more sense than a vest... No one ever wears them out in the real world.

i never understood what the hell is the deal with that, but it is not my place to criticize.
especially i do not get what the deal is with shoulder holsters. i had a gun in one for 5 years, and trained with it.

but, i guess, if they think people will start shooting off their kidneys just because they presumably do not know how to reholster - grr.

That is covered in the rules.

Local club matches have been known to bend the rules a bit. I'd wonder if their was an incident what liability the club would face?
As expected, every incident that has happened at Sig's facility has been during a movement involving holstering...not unexpected.

I carry in that manner. The only time I actually use it in any "event" in during firearm's qualifications a few times a year. Wouldn't make sense not to do so.

Suspend the MD ...the club officials probably had no idea what was happening. The shooter???? Well, the MD did allow it.

As far as a cover garment......rather not. but the vest is an idiotic method. I knew one very talented guy who wore an old sportcoat because that's how he carried at work. Wore it at the several major matches he attended. That makes more sense than a vest... No one ever wears them out in the real world.
Exactly. If I were to shoot IDPA it's because I'm looking to be able to shoot somewhat real life scenarios on a regular basis using my EDC setup with ammo that mirrors the load I carry. I'm not looking to top any competition, just continue to work on my skills without having to regularly fork over several hundred dollars for classes.

i never understood what the hell is the deal with that, but it is not my place to criticize.
especially i do not get what the deal is with shoulder holsters. i had a gun in one for 5 years, and trained with it.

but, i guess, if they think people will start shooting off their kidneys just because they presumably do not know how to reholster - grr.
In many shoulder holsters the gun points behind you. Of course they're not going to allow that!

Exactly. If I were to shoot IDPA it's because I'm looking to be able to shoot somewhat real life scenarios on a regular basis using my EDC setup with ammo that mirrors the load I carry. I'm not looking to top any competition, just continue to work on my skills without having to regularly fork over several hundred dollars for classes.
You can simply practice AIWB draws on your own time and go to the matches for the other bits - shooting in the dark, using cover, running under the clock, etc.

In many shoulder holsters the gun points behind you. Of course they're not going to allow that!

You can simply practice AIWB draws on your own time and go to the matches for the other bits - shooting in the dark, using cover, running under the clock, etc.
I do that already. Throughought the week I'm usually doing some firearm related drills at home, just looking for a way to put them into action other than going to the range myself. I've also attended a few classes. Even at those classes they told me they'd prefer an OWB holster. I told them that's not how I carry, so it would defeat the purpose.

I want to punch people in the face, how dare basketball ban that??

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape about rules. Don't like the game, don't play it - simple as that.
I literally did exactly what your suggestion was and stated that I did it clearly in the post you quoted.

Idpa is a Game, it can be a fun game, it can be challenging, it will make you a better shooter,... the one thing it's not is a some what real life senerio......I have never felt the need to shoot a steel popper as I,m holding a pizza in one hand while leaning behind a conveniently placed blue barrel in real life.

On some stages a cover garment is used, there are some advantages to vests when playing the game, I,m sure that at today's outside Idpa match there was minimal use of fishing vests as a cover garment considering the weather. If the course of fire requires the cover garment you can choose to not wear something ,you will recieve a time penalty but that's ok...because it's a game. Wether you draw from appendix or 3 o'clock the concept is the same, it,s pretty much the same motion. If the rules bother you golf is also a game and if your good you can use the same ball more than once.

On another note as some one who is outside frequently I am a big fan of the vest it keeps your arms free while providing warmth.

Last edited:
Idpa is a Game, it can be a fun game, it can be challenging, it will make you a better shooter,... the one thing it's not is a some what real life senerio......I have never felt the need to shoot a steel popper as I,m holding a pizza in one hand while leaning behind a conveniently placed blue barrel in real life.

On some stages a cover garment is used, there are some advantages to vests when playing the game, I,m sure that at today's outside Idpa match there was minimal use of fishing vests as a cover garment considering the weather. If the course of fire requires the cover garment you can choose to not wear something ,you will recieve a time penalty but that's ok...because it's a game. Wether you draw from appendix or 3 o'clock the concept is the same, it,s pretty much the same motion. If the rules bother you golf is also a game and if your good you can use the same ball more than once.

On another note as some one who is outside frequently I am a big fan of the vest it keeps your arms free while providing warmth.
Never took part in IDPA, was just looking for some info.

Idpa is a Game, it can be a fun game, it can be challenging, it will make you a better shooter,... the one thing it's not is a some what real life senerio......
/thread

If you want to practice for real life, do that. If you want to participate in a shooting game, do that.

The two are not the same thing, even though the games can really improve your shooting skills.

It,s worth trying, its a lot of fun if you go in with an open mind and recognize it for what it is...a game..more than likely your edc will fit into a division. As a reference a match is comparable to 18 holes of golf time wise

They have never allowed AIWB, they claim its dangerous and they could not get insurance. Uh, I'm 95% sure USPSA allows AIWB.
I am not aware of any underwriting for club liability policies that actually included a detailed examination of the rules. Perhaps Joyce has experience with having an insurance underwriter go through the IDPA rulebook rule by rule .... but I doubt it. As to "declaratives" like "never" ... that's quite easy to do when you set up your organization with customers, rather than members. Don't get the difference? Call IDPA HQ and ask when you'll get the ballot for voting on who should be a director or president of the org.

There is zero logic behind "AIWB is a fatal ND waiting to happen". If you carry at 2-4 o'clock, that's the MOST likely fatal wound because of your femoral artery and destroying your femur.

They actually are encouraging the most dangerous type. Which is of course all retarded rhetoric anyway.
I was going to post if someone could school me on why other types of concealed carrying were better or worse.

I think this post did the job.

I thought by now this rule would have changed-

8.2.6.4 Revolvers must be loaded to the division capacity of 6rounds in the cylinder.Higher capacity 7 and 8 round revolvers are permitted, but may only load 6 rounds.

Oh well.

So somebody broke the rules and is now being punished by a not so well liked dictator.

Unless I am missing something, shouldn't the lesson here be "don't do the crime unless you can to do the time" ?

Other than that, any type of organized competition is going to have people in charge with too much time on their hands and an over-inflated opinion of themselves.

There is zero logic behind "AIWB is a fatal ND waiting to happen". If you carry at 2-4 o'clock, that's the MOST likely fatal wound because of your femoral artery and destroying your femur.

They actually are encouraging the most dangerous type. Which is of course all retarded rhetoric anyway.
The femoral artery runs along your inner thigh. How, exactly, could you hit than with a hip carry? 2 o’clock I could see but not 3 or beyond.

Over reaction for sure from the mothership...but for every skilled/experienced shooter who wants to compete with AIWB holsters (because that's how they carry...which makes perfect sense to me) there are 10 who would more than likely find a way to shoot their junk off during "load and make ready".

Skill levels vary widely as we all know and if safety is the primary objective...well....

I was allowed to shoot IDPA with my thigh rig work holster. I didn't get a score or anything, I convinced them to let me run as training for work. Not an apples to apples comparison.

They also complained my gun was dirty.....after 10 hours on an ATV in the Sonoran desert. My mags were dirty too. Boohoo. My gun worked flawlessly through the entire match.
Dirty gun? Hah! Nobody makes a comment about mine, and they are always filthy. Always run and always near the top of the board too.

Tell the md to go f*** himself and lay down $100 for a head to head match. F-ing twats!

I wear my normal clothing for matches. A light button down shirt in warm weather and a zip fleece in cooler weather. I try to keep everything consistent.
I do use an owb holster for matches and iwb for carry, but train with iwb frequently enough

I thought by now this rule would have changed-

8.2.6.4 Revolvers must be loaded to the division capacity of 6rounds in the cylinder.Higher capacity 7 and 8 round revolvers are permitted, but may only load 6 rounds.

Oh well.
This is a stupid rule.

When I was on the USPSA board I fought hard against this very rule for USPSA - and after much discussion, the board finally agreed with me (imagine that). The USPSA rule is that 6 rounds (major pf) or 8 (minor pf) are the max that can be fired in revolver between reloads. Everyone on the board at the time agreed that forcing loading a revolver less than full would severely handicap revolvers with extra holes in the cylinder, but the big concern was worry that the ROs could not count to 6 or 8 while running a shooter and worrying about safety. When I pointed out that Production division requires ROs to count to 10, everyone on the USPSA board saw the logic.

>You clearly spend zero time on construction sites.
Vests are great for concealed carry if you are worried about being attacked on a construction site.

The Wilson's run IDPA like Google runs Google. It's almost as if they think they own it, or something.
Except Google by all accounts is a very successful company. I have no insight into IDPA membership but activity at local matches is not what is was in the past. Many things could be impacting the numbers but it's commonly held by members its the organization and some of the policies. The Wilson's are free to run it as they please but members are free to choose alternatives and many have. I cast see how this is good for the organization. In my own club we would routinely have 80 to 100 shooters on a nice summer day, we average under 50 now.

The femoral artery runs along your inner thigh. How, exactly, could you hit than with a hip carry? 2 o’clock I could see but not 3 or beyond.
A statement like that makes me think you don't get around much. Dangerous re-holstering is very common, but most people - even when they see it - just ignore it.

In December, TheFirearmGuy showed us what not to do.

Two years ago, in December, Craig Douglas showed us what to do.

Last edited:
A statement like that makes me think you don't get around much. Dangerous re-holstering is very common, but most people - even when they see it - just ignore it.

In December, TheFirearmGuy did a video about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JFvtSS3xk

This is exactly what I was getting at. Its not the gun in the holster, its how you remove and replace it. No matter what you do and how careful you are, you are pointing the gun in a very dangerous orientation shouod you have an ND.

I will again clarify I think this whole discussion is a ridiculous fearmongering over something that is unavoidable. My overall point is the banning of AIWB by IDPA is clown world logic made by people willfully ignoring reality.

Back
Top Bottom