• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA shoot at Riverside Gun Club writeup

Cross-X said:
PS I will be helping Chris run the shoot, so I will see you at the course. This course will be even better than the one we did a couple of months ago.

Cool. I'll lool forward to meeting you. I'll be easy to spot: I'll be the big guy with the dopey grin on his face.

Steve

Ozman said:
The only other thing I really need to spend money on right now is some proper shooting glasses. Someone else on this baord suggested the ESS "ICE' glasses. Gunner Alley has them at a great price and I can get the prescription insert for them. Suppose I may as well do that today too! Will probably call Four Seasons first, just to see if they have them.

Steve

I don't think that anyone in Eastern MA carries ESS ICE system, regrettably. When I ordered from Gunnersalley.com, they were delivered 3 days later! Awesome service. Expect to add a week or two for your optician to get the lenses custom ground for them and anti-glare coated.

LenS said:
I don't think that anyone in Eastern MA carries ESS ICE system, regrettably. When I ordered from Gunnersalley.com, they were delivered 3 days later! Awesome service. Expect to add a week or two for your optician to get the lenses custom ground for them and anti-glare coated.

Yeah, you're right, they don't seem to be available around here. Gunner's Alley it is. I went into LensCrafters and told the manager what I was planning on bringing in (showed her the printout w/pictures) and she said no problem, same deal as any other frame. One hour service to boot.

But good call on the anti-glare Len. I did not ask her about that and I see that the ESS set is not polarized. Glad you mentioned that.

Steve

Ozman said:
Cross-X said:
PS I will be helping Chris run the shoot, so I will see you at the course. This course will be even better than the one we did a couple of months ago.

Cool. I'll lool forward to meeting you. I'll be easy to spot: I'll be the big guy with the dopey grin on his face.

Steve

Steve - A word of warning. That's NOT a good description; I'd guess MOST of the shooters will have a dopey grin on their faces!! :D I cetainly did when I discovered IDPA.

"Gee, you mean that I can move around and shoot at lots of different targets?! Cool!"

Ross

the 20th

Hey everybody, I'm planning on finally getting to riverside for the 20th this month, I hope to meet some of you folks there. I either shoot a Beretta or a Sig, and I'm a scrawny guy I look a little like Ritchie Cunningham. Do they ever do a Back up Gun side match?

Back up guns at the Riverside IDPA matches? Sure!

The match Chris Siano ran about six weeks ago had an amazing, totally secret, kick-ass back up gun stage. One for the memory books, you betcha!

Cross-X said:
What kind of a BUG do you have?

Mine is a S&W Airweight, complete with action job, Crimson Trace lasergrips, and Magnaporting. Sweeeet!

Walther PPK .380 SS... stock. Nice gun to shoot. Digests hollowpoints without a hiccup. Just don't ask it to feed CCI Blazers - it chokes every time.

Ross

Ross, Dirty Dave (you don't know him yet) is bringing up his PPK, and has 500 rds of ammo being shipped from Midway to my house. I'm sure he'll let you try some, it's Wolf, but good feeding is where you find it.

Ozman said:
LenS said:

Yeah, you're right, they don't seem to be available around here. Gunner's Alley it is. I went into LensCrafters and told the manager what I was planning on bringing in (showed her the printout w/pictures) and she said no problem, same deal as any other frame. One hour service to boot.

But good call on the anti-glare Len. I did not ask her about that and I see that the ESS set is not polarized. Glad you mentioned that.

Steve

Did they tell you how much the lenses were going to cost? I called LensCrafters out by me and they said that it didn't sound like it would be a problem. But they said without seeing the template, they wouldn't know how much it would be. Of course this was over the phone.

380 from Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=3&Categoryid=7507&categorystring=653***691***

I'm not a big fan of Wolf Ammo (except 7.62x39), but it's damn sure cheaper than CCI, and probably works no worse.

Wolf Ammunition 380 ACP (9x17mm) 91 Grain Full Metal Jacket Berdan Primed Steel Case Case of 1000 (20 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 420977
Our Price: $124.99

CCI Blazer Ammunition 380 ACP 95 Grain Total Metal Jacket Case of 1000 (20 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 718385
Our Price: $171.99

My .45's are unanimous in liking CCI Blazer FMJ - 2 Para's and an Ruger, Darius. No problems there.

But my PPK, which will feed darn near anything else (hollowpoints, reloaded RNL, you name it) choke on the Blazers. I suspect that when it feeds a round, it puts pressure on the sidewall of the casing, and the aluminum hull of the Blazers just isn't that strong; it dents and won't feed properly.

Nickle, I haven't tried Wolf in .380 - I don't like it for my .45's, though. We'll see how it feeds. I'll bring my cleaning kit, just in case. :)

Hey, as long as I know what each gun likes, I don't have a problem.

Ross

C-pher said:
Did they tell you how much the lenses were going to cost? I called LensCrafters out by me and they said that it didn't sound like it would be a problem. But they said without seeing the template, they wouldn't know how much it would be. Of course this was over the phone.

I went to LensCrafters first. It's where I've been getting my glasses for the past few years. In fact, my prescription just changed slightly so I got a new daily set and a set of prescription sunglasses. But they quoted me a little more than $200.00 for lenses for the ICE nylone frame. Sounded a bit crazy. There's nothing strange about my single vision script. Went to Cambridge Eye Doctors yesterday and paid $78.00, complete. The big difference is waiting a week vs. an hour. For that kind of cake I can wait. The IDPA class isn't until the 27th (to keep this post relevant to the thread!).

dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:
What kind of a BUG do you have?

Mine is a S&W Airweight, complete with action job, Crimson Trace lasergrips, and Magnaporting. Sweeeet!

Walther PPK .380 SS... stock. Nice gun to shoot. Digests hollowpoints without a hiccup. Just don't ask it to feed CCI Blazers - it chokes every time.

Ross

Mine hated Blazers too Ross. It didn't choke on everyone, but I had more than one stove pipe.

Lynne said:
dwarven1 said:

Ross

Mine hated Blazers too Ross. It didn't choke on everyone, but I had more than one stove pipe.

I didn't have stovepipes, I had failures to feed. Just does NOT like those aluminum cases.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
on everyone, but I had more than one stove pipe.

I didn't have stovepipes, I had failures to feed. Just does NOT like those aluminum cases.

Ross

Ross,

Was the weapon cleaned after each firing?

derek said:
dwarven1 said:
on everyone, but I had more than one stove pipe.

Ross

Ross,

Was the weapon cleaned after each firing?[/quote]

(beating Ross to a response) In my case it was Derek. I always clean my guns after shooting them. It's a Walther thing I think. I did have a couple FtF's, but the majority of them were stove pipes. Out of one mag, I'd had to stop on every other one or two to clear it. Someone else I know at the range had the same problem with the Blazers as well with their PPK.

I just remember Ross telling me he wasn't happy with a pistol because it didn't function properly after 400+ rounds and no cleaning. I just wanted to make sure the weapon was clean or dirty when the jamming occured.

derek said:
I just remember Ross telling me he wasn't happy with a pistol because it didn't function properly after 400+ rounds and no cleaning. I just wanted to make sure the weapon was clean or dirty when the jamming occured.

Different pistol - that was a stress test. Usually, they get cleaned after each range visit.

dwarven1 said:
derek said:

Different pistol - that was a stress test. Usually, they get cleaned after each range visit.

Gotcha!

derek said:
dwarven1 said:
derek said:

Gotcha!

blbl.gif

Nope, I'm old fashioned. Sweet's 7.62 Solvent. Shooter's Choice for normal solvent. I've got some paste stuff that takes fouling out of rough bores as well.

I've never had great luck with Outer's cleaning products. I don't use Hoppe's, either, since they changed it to mostly Kerosene (and little else).

Yeah, I am mostly a cleaning traditionalist too. Still, not often, but when the buildup gets deep, I go for the electrical process -- Foul Out.

It removes gunk conventional chemcial cleaners didn't even know about!

Back
Top Bottom