IDPA -- September IDPA Match at Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Welcome to the September IDPA Match
Date: Sunday September 16, 2007
Time: 8:45 am - 2:30 pm

This match is open to the public. No pre-registration is necessary.
Bring your friends to shoot with us!

Join us for our last match of the year. We will have 8 exciting stages that you don't want to miss!

Make sure to bring:
- Pistol or revolver
- At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
- Holster
- Magazine carrier/holder
- Concealment garment (a shirt, vest, or light jacket will work fine)
- Eye and ear protection
- 200 rounds of ammunition

Registration starts at 8:45 am
Safety briefing at 9:15 am
First shot at 9:30 am
Match fee $20.

BBQ Lunch will be available for purchase courtesy of the HSC's Kitchen Committee.

If you have questions, please send me a PM.

Dave

There is also a stage that includes a BUG (gun and ammo provided) as part of the COF... I just want to tell more but I can't... so be sure to come!

I'm interested in trying this out. What are the rules on magazine carriers/holsters and will this .45 be legal to shoot?

191145.jpg

I'm interested in trying this out. What are the rules on magazine carriers/holsters and will this .45 be legal to shoot?

191145.jpg

Complete rules are posted here: IDPA Rulebook

At a glance, I'd say no, the gun is not legal as shown, at least because of this rule: 10. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

There may be other items, as well (Is that a rib on top? Hard to see from the pic.)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that forward of the slide release?

Ribbed?

No, there is no sight rib on my .45

That piece in front of the slide stop used to be a thumb ledge that I removed the ledge from. I just keep it on there now so there wont be any holes showing on the frame. It can be removed easy enough.....

I guess then if my .45 isnt legal to try this sport out with then I guess I wont be shootin...........have fun anyway.

No, there is no sight rib on my .45

That piece in front of the slide stop used to be a thumb ledge that I removed the ledge from. I just keep it on there now so there wont be any holes showing on the frame. It can be removed easy enough.....

I guess then if my .45 isnt legal to try this sport out with then I guess I wont be shootin...........have fun anyway.
I'm trying to picture a "thumb ledge..."

Remember, you said "Is this legal?" not "Will they let me compete at a club match with this?" Two very different questions. I think if you ask, you may find local clubs to be pretty flexible in what they'll let new shooters use in a club match, at least for the first time or two. It's kind of like drug dealers giving out free samples to get someone "hooked." [wink]

Hal, just take off the button. IDPA is fun. The rules don't look like they disallow the thumbshield, as long as they don't put you over 41oz. They pose no competitive advantage that would make them "competition only", that's what you'd want to avoid.

Hamar:

Bring it to the Riverside IDPA Match on 9/30. If you can put the original mag release in it - fine. If not, we'll let you use it. Find me at the Match if their is any problem. I'm one of the SOs.

Regards,

Bob

Never seen an IDPA event turn anyone away - Especially a first time shooter. You might not be allowed to make your score count for a trophy, but You'd be allowed to shoot.

The only time I could see a noob denied is at a large sanctioned match or if something was explicitly hazardous like a shoulder holster.

That said, it's up to the Match Director. If you find you enjoy the sport, the minor mods needed are not that big a deal.

I can't find anything in the rules that would prohibit the thumb shield as you have it. However, at a large event someone might question it. I can't think of an argument where such an item would be of any advantage, and in the grand scheme of things, that is really what the rules are trying to avoid.

Hal, I would wager that the Caspian with the mag well would not make weight. That said, I know of no local matches where they will weigh your gun.

As for the "Thumb Shield" it is not an allowed modification. There is nothing in the rules that say you can not have it, but they do have a list of accepted modifications that are allowed. Basically no others are.

Will you be at Bass River Sunday?? I have a spare rule book you can have. OR, I have a revolver you can use [smile]

Last edited:
Hmm..I hope the powers that be will aloow me to try t heir game with the sparse equipment I have. I will remove the mag button and the thumb ledge from my .45. The rear thumb gaurd has been removed for ions already. I will show up with an Uncle mikes holster and try to find a double mag pouch to wear on my belt. Is an oversize Hawiian shirt worn open over a T good enough for a trial run at this game?

Hamar- sorry for the late response I've been on vacation and don't have regular access to the forum.

As the match director I welcome you to come and shoot with us... we can figure out the class you'd be in or if there are any issues with your gun but if you've never shot IPDA before please come and join us!

Here's my rules:
Be safe and have fun.

PM is on it's way.

Hmm. I may just have to try this out. Any idea of an approximate finish time?

I'm not the Match Director, but I'm fairly certain we'll be finished well before 3:30 p.m, especially if everyone who shoots also helps tape and pick up brass.

The fun starts with registration at 8:30 a.m.

Darius

I'm not the Match Director, but I'm fairly certain we'll be finished well before 3:30 p.m, especially if everyone who shoots also helps tape and pick up brass.

The fun starts with registration at 8:30 a.m.

Darius

It's an open registration so it's hard to nail it down, but I think the way we're planning on running the match will make things go smoothly.

Like Darius said, if everyone helps with tape and brass the SOs (Safety Officers) will be able to have everyone moving pretty well.

Come join us!

It's an open registration so it's hard to nail it down, but I think the way we're planning on running the match will make things go smoothly.

Like Darius said, if everyone helps with tape and brass the SOs (Safety Officers) will be able to have everyone moving pretty well.

Come join us!

When you say "Open Registration" Is that open squadding also?

When you say "Open Registration" Is that open squadding also?

We register shooters the morning of the match, no preregistration required. If you have preferences to who you shoot with we can try to accomodate that for you. Is that what you were asking?

NOTE: All shooters need to register prior to the safety briefing to shoot the match.

Last edited:
We register shooters the morning of the match, no preregistration required. If you have preferences to who you shoot with we can try to accomodate that for you. Is that what you were asking?

NOTE: All shooters need to register prior to the safety briefing to shoot the match.

I understand what you are saying. Open squadding is when you arrive and receive the safety briefing you go to any stage and start. Then pick another and so on until you have shot all stages. Assigned squadding is you are assigned to a squad all day.

My experience shows an 8 stage match with open squadding is a lot faster for those that travel a distance to shoot as they can pick the stage with the shortest line.

It sounds like you are using assigned squads which is what we also do at Bass River.

Wish I could join you but you conflict with two other matches that day. IDPA at Bass River and USPSA at Manville, RI. I will be at Manville.

Have fun,

Gary

Well..looks as if I wont be able to make this match. My brother surprised me with tickets for the Nascar race in Loudon on the same day. I will get to one of these matches at some point though!

Back
Top Bottom