• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA Safety Officer (SO) class?

Do any of you know of any upcoming IDPA SO classes? If you do, I'd love to hear about it (in this thread).

Thanks in advance.

Do any of you know of any upcoming IDPA SO classes? If you do, I'd love to hear about it (in this thread).

Thanks in advance.

Do any of you know of any upcoming IDPA SO classes? If you do, I'd love to hear about it (in this thread). Thanks in advance.

I took the IDPA SO course taught by Joe Chappie. Joe is IDPA State Coordinator Massachusetts, IDPA Safety Officer Instructor, IDPA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Instructor. He was joined by fellow IDPA SO instructors Matt and Bill at Worcester Pistol and Rifle club in Boylston.

It was my first SO course and I learned a lot and all three presented the information in a clear professional manner. There is a classroom portion which goes over almost everything that is in the current IDPA manual, and then outside for a couple of real life actual stages. Both were very well presented. It was a full day of learning and running the exercises. You will enjoy it. I had a blast as it put me outside my comfort zone.

You do have to take the IDPA SO pretest online prior to class. My suggestion would be to read the latest manual first before taking the online pretest. FYI, the online pre test is an open book type test. Open up the manual PDF file and Press CTRL+F (Windows) or CMD+F (Mac) to search.

I'm not sure who is teaching the course at Harvard as @andrew1220 mentioned, but I can PM you Joe's contact information. I doubt he would mind me putting it here, but as I don't have his explicit permission, I will do it privately / offline if you want it.

Jay

I took the IDPA SO course taught by Joe Chappie. Joe is IDPA State Coordinator Massachusetts, IDPA Safety Officer Instructor, IDPA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Instructor. He was joined by fellow IDPA SO instructors Matt and Bill at Worcester Pistol and Rifle club in Boylston.

It was my first SO course and I learned a lot and all three presented the information in a clear professional manner. There is a classroom portion which goes over almost everything that is in the current IDPA manual, and then outside for a couple of real life actual stages. Both were very well presented. It was a full day of learning and running the exercises. You will enjoy it. I had a blast as it put me outside my comfort zone.

You do have to take the IDPA SO pretest online prior to class. My suggestion would be to read the latest manual first before taking the online pretest. FYI, the online pre test is an open book type test. Open up the manual PDF file and Press CTRL+F (Windows) or CMD+F (Mac) to search.

I'm not sure who is teaching the course at Harvard as @andrew1220 mentioned, but I can PM you Joe's contact information. I doubt he would mind me putting it here, but as I don't have his explicit permission, I will do it privately / offline if you want it.

Jay
It’s Joe Chappie.

OP, one of the big things is that every IDPA SO officer be consistent with range commands. It shouldn't matter if you are on the East Coast or the West Coast or anywhere in between, the commands that an IDPA SO states should always be the same as it eliminates any verbal command mistakes. I made up an index card with the Official Range Commands taken directly from the latest Rule book. For me, as I'm a new SO, I keep this card with me as I ASO a squad for consistancy. I also laminated it so it will last a bit longer. If you want a laminated copy, just PM me with your address.

As stated, the front is the official range commands. The back of card is just my words and is in no way taken from the IDPA manual. But, it helps me keep laser focused on the safety aspect of it. I'm sure after I get more experience, it will be burned into my brain.

Jay

t8TadJL.jpg

O0jLydD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom