IDPA Legal pistol?

I just started doing the work on converting my Para 16.40 to a 14.45 using a Caspian slide and a bunch of other factory Para parts (barrel, ejector/extractor, spring, etc...). I'm doing this conversion because the Para I'd be buying hasn't been in stock anywhere for months (RX1445S) and I'm tired of waiting. I'm using the Caspian slide frankly because it was easier to get than a Para one, but anyway...

Did I just screw myself out of IDPA with this pistol? It's obviously not a Stock Service Pistol because it's not factory anymore, but Enhanced Service Pistol doesn't have anything about replacing the slide in the "inclusive" list of permitted mods. Or is this not a mod but a new hybrid Caspian/Para gun now?

I'm mostly interested in just shooting at Harvard with it.

I just started doing the work on converting my Para 16.40 to a 14.45 using a Caspian slide and a bunch of other factory Para parts (barrel, ejector/extractor, spring, etc...). I'm doing this conversion because the Para I'd be buying hasn't been in stock anywhere for months (RX1445S) and I'm tired of waiting. I'm using the Caspian slide frankly because it was easier to get than a Para one, but anyway...

Did I just screw myself out of IDPA with this pistol? It's obviously not a Stock Service Pistol because it's not factory anymore, but Enhanced Service Pistol doesn't have anything about replacing the slide in the "inclusive" list of permitted mods. Or is this not a mod but a new hybrid Caspian/Para gun now?

I'm mostly interested in just shooting at Harvard with it.

At a local match you will probably be fine. At the Nationals, I would ask the question to IDPA. As I see it, it is a Para. The frame determines what the gun is. Because 1911 style parts are reasonably interchangeable, you will see a lot of this.

The question you need to ask yourself is " Is there a Competitive Advantage to what I have done?" If the answer is no, the gun should be OK. If the answer is Yes, you better have a ruling from IDPA HQ.

Clear as mud, isn't it.

Regards,

There is nothing wrong with having different parts on a given frame. My IDPA gun is an STI frame with a Caspian slide. In fact, about the ONLY thing that is STI on that gun is the frame. Just make sure that you use a bushing barrel and other IDPA legal parts. I used that gun at this year's WInter Championship and there was no problem with any rule violation.

Back
Top Bottom