• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDPA classification - what now?

I went to my first IDPA classifier at WPRC this past weekend and since I didn't shoot too well [rolleyes] I came away classified as a Novice. What exactly does this classification mean in terms of competing in IDPA matches?

Last edited:
It mans when you go to a match and shoot. Only compare your scores to other Novices. So you might come in first in Novice, CDP.

ETA: Black belts only have to compete with black belts, and red belts don't compete with white belts.

It mans when you go to a match and shoot. Only compare your scores to other Novices. So you might come in first in Novice, CDP.

ETA: Black belts only have to compete with black belts, and red belts don't compete with white belts.

Thanks Mike. That makes sense. So, I may actually have a chance of winning the tiny barrel category. [wink]

Thanks Mike. That makes sense. So, I may actually have a chance of winning the tiny barrel category. [wink]

Yes, Actually that is exactly how I got a metal from the NER last year. I classified .5 of a second from sharpshooter and did well in the marksman division. If I made SS I would of done lousy. lol

At club matches, it doesn't really matter. Everyone looks at the overall results anyway. At bigger matches, they give certificates/medals/plaques for top x places in each class. The most useful thing though is to track your improvement. Last time I shot a classifier, I shot SSP Marksman. I've improved a good bit since then, so I'm interested to see how I do at Harvard's upcoming classifier. If you log in to idpa.com, you can see all the classifiers you've shot, broken down by stage 1,2,3.

Yes, Actually that is exactly how I got a metal from the NER last year. I classified .5 of a second from sharpshooter and did well in the marksman division. If I made SS I would of done lousy. lol

I did the opposite last year: I made SS by 0.4 seconds! I've spent the last year at the bottom of the SS results.

In reality the only limitation is that you can't get into the national level matches. The indoor nationals required a marksman or higher classification.

I went to my first IDPA classifier at WPRC this past weekend and since I didn't shoot too well [rolleyes] I came away classified as a Novice. What exactly does this classification mean in terms of competing in IDPA matches?

Well done.

No shame there, you didn't get DQ'd or came away with someone leaking.

So now you get out to some matches, watch the people that have done it for a while and find your own groove.

HAVE FUN.

It means you should shoot a USPSA classifier match. You'll get classified as a 'D' which is much friendlier than the more judgmental 'Novice'. But same as IDPA - no one will care what your classification is.

It means you should shoot a USPSA classifier match. You'll get classified as a 'D' which is much friendlier than the more judgmental 'Novice'. But same as IDPA - no one will care what your classification is.

I just did that. 37.69%. I'm hoping to get out of D class soon. My goal is SSP/EX and Production B by the end of this season.

Back
Top Bottom