Idiot's Guide to Building a 1911?

I've been looking for a .45, and thought "Why not build one?". I'm going to do some research, but figured I'd ask here, too.

Physically, I'm an appartment dweller, so I don't have a workshop, bench, nor too many tools (although, obviously, I can buy tools). Problem?

I'm an engineer, (although not of the mechanical kind) so I can follow directions, but I'm not especially mechanically inclined nor am I experienced in metalworking whatsoever. I'm not retarded, it's just not part of my present skillset. Problem?

I'm pretty new to handguns, and am not 100% sure how everything works. I can point out a slide vs. a receiver. I can identify an extractor vs a barrel. I probably could detail strip my Sig, and would have maybe a 50% chance to get it all back together. Problem?

I'm willing to invest 600-700$, including parts and tools. Problem?

I live in MA. Problem?

Is there an idiot's guide to this available on the internet? A book that I could order? A class I could take? Where should a reasonably intelligent but utterly ignorant appartment-dweller start? Should he not?

Buy and read Kuhnhausen's 1911 Vol. 1 shop manual. It's an exact how-to for almost everything on a 1911, and will let you pick out what you can already do, what you want to expand your skill set to do yourself, and what is worth paying a smith to do.

If at that point you think there's more that could be done to a 1911 - Volume 2!!

There's a mixture of hand tool fitting and machine work in a 1911. Some of that blends well with apartment living.

(I'm not sure where the cheapest source for Kuhnhausens manuals is now - I've had mine for years. Publishers site)

No problem in MA building a 1911... just don't sell it when you need cash.

Because then I'd be a manufacturer or gunsmith?

No, because kicking yourself gets reaaalllly tiring after a while. [wink]

The 1911 receiver is the firearm (as far as the Feds are concerned). If you buy that legally through an FFL, the rest is just parts. The PRofMA doesn't want you to have post-ban hi-cap mags, and when you have a functioning firearm, they want you to file an FA-10 form. Getting an FFL to order a 1911 receiver for you can sometimes be, um, challenging. You might have to talk to more than one.

It's possible to make your own 1911 receiver, but it will involve a lot more research, and more than a few potential legal entanglements (such as not ever selling it). And a lot of tools, some of which are expensive. If I were going to recommend a way to get into 1911 building, I'd say buy a complete one and modify first. Second choice, buy a finished receiver from an FFL and go from there.

And in the interests of pimping the benefits of NES Membership, one of the members recently ran a group buy of Caspian 1911 slides and frames. The finished products are starting to show up....

Here Here and here.

I think it's going to cost you a little more than $600-$700. My last 2 cost $1400 apeice. But I've learned a lot doing them.

I would ask John at Remsport to give me a price on a slide, frame and barrel all fitted together and have them cut the slide for the sights I wanted.

Also ask him to stake the ejector and plunger tube. That why you don't have to buy the tools to do it also if you have him install the High Ed Brown beavertail, you don't have to buy the jig to fit it.

When you get from him all the hard parts will be done.

Do to the lack of known gunsmiths in my general area. I have learned to do many things myself regarding gun mods and repairs. If you have the mind set. Do some research you can find that many tools can be made. The 3 tools that I have that I spent the most money for
Good set of gun smith screw bits.....brownells
Good assortment of very very fine diamond files and super fine emery cloth.
good set of punches, although I have a few cheap sets for my AR.

Unless you are a tool junkie and a DIYer addict like me. The cost of specialty tools, Jigs and books can run up $$ fast.
Maybe find a range beater 1911 that looks like hell but has some service left in it. And start with some small modifications. The amount of "specialty tools" for any gunsmith'n can make your head spin. Then again I have done more in the past 2 years with a bench top drill press, yard sale tools and a little research than I believed possible in the past.
I do not own any pretty guns, I dont mess with triggers.

I have a few used once tools sitting in my gun tool box. For the most part unless you plan on doing a lot of work on one particular fire arm special tools are not always needed.

If I had the space I would buy a small bench top mill. I have thought more than a few times to do a 80% receiver. Legal matters stop me more than tools and know how.
I am always on the look out for poor finish or hacked refinished guns to work on.

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/products.php You can loose a lot of sleep on stuff like this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the books! I am a machinist by trade, and have done quite a bit of CNC, grinding, fit and polish work, so I am excited to some day start a 1911 build of my own.

If money was no object - what kind of components would you buy? Meaning, triggers, safeties, firing pins, extractors, etc... I am going to buy all of the components slowly over time, so the price of each won't matter much.

Meaning, triggers, safeties, firing pins, extractors, etc... I
With the possible exception of the beavertail, I'd avoid MIM or cast parts in favor of machined from bar stock. Lots of folks make machined hammers and sears (it's more thje norm than the exception for quality parts), but machined rather than cast safeties are more the exception than the rule (and yes, I've had a cast 1911 safety break due to metal failure).

Another thing I'd try to do is get one of those frames with an integral plunger tube. This way, you don't have to mess around with staking it or worrying about it falling off or getting sheared off, etc. This is a common point of failure on a lot of 1911s, both home-made and commercial.

-Mike

I've been looking for a .45, and thought "Why not build one?". I'm going to do some research, but figured I'd ask here, too.//
For sure get the Kuhnhausen book(s). He also has M1911 videos now. Brownells and Midway both have them.

If you buy parts carefully, you can minimize the amount of fitting required. Some barrels and bushings are advertised as "drop-in" but there's a reason why so many parts require fitting.

Most would start with a "clunker" and build it up. Buying frame, slide barrel, and all the little parts is probably going to cost more than $700 as others have mentioned. A good solid M1911 can easily cost you $600 or more so your budget doesn't seem practical.

The alternative is to buy a complete M1911 and then make changes to improve it. Generally, a better-fitting barrel bushing, link pin, and slide will yield big improvements in accuracy. Is that what you want? Or are you looking to make something tacticool? The latter will cost more $$$.

What I did was to buy the Kuhnhausen book and some others, hang around the forums, and buy parts with a C&R discount to improve an existing gun. Just changing the barrel bushing and link on one of my USGI-style pistols cut 25 yard group size in half.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom