Idiot obviously didn't clear his gun

Glocks require you to pull the trigger before you can field strip. More than a few people have had negligent discharges with Glocks when field stripping. They remove the magazine, somehow forget to clear the chamber (or screw up the order of those two tasks) and then pull the trigger -- boom. Of course, that doesn't explain the added stupidity of pointing it at yourself while pulling the trigger, but, again, he isn't the first to do that either.

Oh, I'm aware. I cleaned my Glock once a few years back. But the 'was cleaning it and it went off' is such broadly applied BS that I'm immediately skeptical as soon as I hear it.

I did not clear my gun once. I crapped my pants. Have no idea how I overlooked it. The magazine was out, but I must have got distracted while packing up at the range. Luckily the next person that handled it, a friend of mine, is a military guy and a cop, so his first instinct was to clear it. The round came flying out of the chamber and poop came out of my butt quickly after. That one incident has me paranoid of all guns I handle, mine or others. My SOP is to now leave all actions open when I'm finished at the range, I collect and pack away all my ammo before I pack away the guns. And I re-check all firearms before I put them away, as I usually go to the range with 2-3 different weapons. When I get home, I recheck everything before going back in the safe.

A dealer I once knew told me a received a brand new gun from Smith and Wesson via UPS with one in the tube.

Check the chamber every time you pick up or are handed a firearm. Basic practice, and one of the first things my father and grandfather taught me right after rules 1 and 2.

Good practice, but take it a step further to meet the guidelines for safe gun handling. For example, a firearm should never be left on anything like a table/bench with the action closed. If you're shooting with a friend (or even by yourself), once the pistol/revolver is empty and placed on the bench, the action should be open; slide locked back or cylinder left out. Same thing when passing to or receiving a firearm from some one else (action should always be open).

Before cleaning a Glock (and most guns), lock slide back, drop the magazine, check the chamber while the action is still open, then move on to dissembling.

Last edited:
Someday I'm going to write a blog on gun safety, it's going to start like this:

I want you to imagine a gun, it doesn't matter what kind, I don't care if it's a rifle or a shot gun, pistol, or something in between, just imagine a gun in your hands- Its loaded you f*cking moron. Your imaginary gun is loaded. How do I know? Because I haven't told you to clear it yet. This is the real world of firearms- Guns are ALWAYS loaded unless you obsessively confirm otherwise.

This is why I store mine loaded. Never any question if there's one in the chamber. Although if I went to clear it and nothing came out, I'd be surprised/pissed.

I wonder if this

This is why I store mine loaded. Never any question if there's one in the chamber. Although if I went to clear it and nothing came out, I'd be surprised/pissed.

Is the solution to this

I did not clear my gun once. I crapped my pants. Have no idea how I overlooked it. The magazine was out, but I must have got distracted while packing up at the range. Luckily the next person that handled it, a friend of mine, is a military guy and a cop, so his first instinct was to clear it. The round came flying out of the chamber and poop came out of my butt quickly after. That one incident has me paranoid of all guns I handle, mine or others. My SOP is to now leave all actions open when I'm finished at the range, I collect and pack away all my ammo before I pack away the guns. And I re-check all firearms before I put them away, as I usually go to the range with 2-3 different weapons. When I get home, I recheck everything before going back in the safe.

All my guns are loaded. Maybe not literally, but I never got in the habit of storing them unloaded - as a result, I never expect that they are unloaded.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I've been working on the theory that exposure to minor gunshot wounds builds some immunity to larger calibers.

I started with just a bb gun, of course (.177 pellets) and have been working up through .22 short, .22 long and am planning to try an '04 vintage .25acp next week.

My goal is to be able to handle a 9mm safely. I'm too chicken to try rifle rounds!

(for the humor impaired, that was completely made up. It probably originated on Reddit :/ You cannot build immunity to GSW by shooting yourself with small cal rounds. If you don't believe me... [grin] )

I've been working on the theory that exposure to minor gunshot wounds builds some immunity to larger calibers.

I started with just a bb gun, of course (.177 pellets) and have been working up through .22 short, .22 long and am planning to try an '04 vintage .25acp next week.

My goal is to be able to handle a 9mm safely. I'm too chicken to try rifle rounds!

(for the humor impaired, that was completely made up. It probably originated on Reddit :/ You cannot build immunity to GSW by shooting yourself with small cal rounds. If you don't believe me... [grin] )

[video]https://youtu.be/hQVpIXeJyis?t=6m8s[/video]

Glocks require you to pull the trigger before you can field strip. More than a few people have had negligent discharges with Glocks when field stripping. They remove the magazine, somehow forget to clear the chamber (or screw up the order of those two tasks) and then pull the trigger -- boom. Of course, that doesn't explain the added stupidity of pointing it at yourself while pulling the trigger, but, again, he isn't the first to do that either.

I'm surprised they don't have a sear deactivation lever like the M&P's have. Prevents the need to pull the trigger to remove the slide.

I'm surprised they don't have a sear deactivation lever like the M&P's have. Prevents the need to pull the trigger to remove the slide.

I think that SIG's takedown lever on the P-Series is perhaps the safest mechanism for taking down a pistol:

1) Lock the slide open.
2) Turn the takedown lever.
3) Pull the slide back all the way, then release it slowly and slide it off the front of the frame.

The downside of the SIG takedown lever is that it takes up a fair bit of vertical space in the frame, raising the bore axis about 1/4 of an inch.

The second article says he was loading it, not cleaning it.

Despite the fact that it was preventable and doesn't reflect well on gun owners in general, you have to feel a little bad for a 74 year old guy who has a 230 grain hole in his hand.

Unless he voted for Healey, then f*ck him, he can EABOD.

TRUE story, without giving any identifiying details... A guy killed himself, cops laid out cleaning stuff, called it an accident while cleaning it. Guy left wife and kid behind. I think they did it to save embarrasment and so she could collect insurance.
This is coming second hand from the medic who declared the guy dead and was told to keep his mouth shut.

I think that SIG's takedown lever on the P-Series is perhaps the safest mechanism for taking down a pistol:

1) Lock the slide open.
3) Pull the slide back all the way, then release it slowly and slide it off the front of the frame.

The downside of the SIG takedown lever is that it takes up a fair bit of vertical space in the frame, raising the bore axis about 1/4 of an inch.

I just picked up my first 1911 (Ruger SR1911) and it has to rank up there as one of the least safe .... Pretty hard to keep your hands away from the business end while releasing the barrel bushing.

I just picked up my first 1911 (Ruger SR1911) and it has to rank up there as one of the least safe .... Pretty hard to keep your hands away from the business end while releasing the barrel bushing.

that's the case with any 1911 that uses the standard barrel bushing design. if the gun is cleared and checked beforehand, it's a nonissue. also the thumb safety should be engaged to keep the slide from moving back, although of course a thumb safety is generally no basis for sweeping the muzzle.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Lock the slide open.

the Sig P320 uses a takedown lever bar that disengages the sear when the takedown lever is rotated. thus the slide is removed without having the pull the trigger. it also cannot rotate with a magazine in place. the result is that with a P320 it is impossible to accidentally chamber a round while removing the slide.

for a hammer fired gun these takedown features are sort of a given but for a striker gun is pretty cool. the VP9 does something similar although have to pull rather hard on the slide sometimes to remove it w/o pulling trigger. and i don't think the VP9 has the magazine take-down safety feature...i may be wrong but i no longer have a VP9 to check it.

I like that the cops are still investigating. "Hey, Jim...do you think he was an idiot?" "Yeah, I do, Bob. Wanna go get some lunch?" "Sure. Case closed."

I assume they are investigating what they should charge him with and what to do with his license/other guns in the meantime

I've done just that, ONCE. Cleared the chamber WITHOUT removing the magazine - which of course reloaded the chamber. Pulled the trigger so that I could field strip it. Totally and entirely MY fault. The only thing that kept this from being more than a wake up call was that I did obey another fundamental rule - Never point your gun at anything you're not willing to shoot. I had my glock pointed at a berm when I pulled the trigger. Surprised and embarrassed the crap out of me, but nobody got hurt.

From that day forward, I've had a new habit - I rack the slide twice... Always.

Back
Top Bottom