• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Idiot obviously didn't clear his gun

yup...the way it reads it sounds like he didn't clear his gun. Not good....everyone should develop good and safe practices when handling a firearm...

Last edited:
I'm not even sure how I could pull this off, even if I was dumb enough not to clear the gun first. I never put my hand in front of the muzzle and pull the trigger while cleaning [rolleyes]

You can own guns in on Cape???? I thought the Sagamore and Bourne Bridges were analogies for the Iron Curtain!!

I did not clear my gun once. I crapped my pants. Have no idea how I overlooked it. The magazine was out, but I must have got distracted while packing up at the range. Luckily the next person that handled it, a friend of mine, is a military guy and a cop, so his first instinct was to clear it. The round came flying out of the chamber and poop came out of my butt quickly after. That one incident has me paranoid of all guns I handle, mine or others. My SOP is to now leave all actions open when I'm finished at the range, I collect and pack away all my ammo before I pack away the guns. And I re-check all firearms before I put them away, as I usually go to the range with 2-3 different weapons. When I get home, I recheck everything before going back in the safe.

I did not clear my gun once. I crapped my pants. Have no idea how I overlooked it. The magazine was out, but I must have got distracted while packing up at the range. Luckily the next person that handled it, a friend of mine, is a military guy and a cop, so his first instinct was to clear it. The round came flying out of the chamber and poop came out of my butt quickly after. That one incident has me paranoid of all guns I handle, mine or others. My SOP is to now leave all actions open when I'm finished at the range, I collect and pack away all my ammo before I pack away the guns. And I re-check all firearms before I put them away, as I usually go to the range with 2-3 different weapons. When I get home, I recheck everything before going back in the safe.
Good habits!

Check the chamber every time you pick up or are handed a firearm. Basic practice, and one of the first things my father and grandfather taught me right after rules 1 and 2.

yup...the way it reads it sounds like he didn't clear his gun. Not good....everyone should develop good and safe practices when handling a firearm...

Yeah, but we live in a free country, and just because you should do a whole bunch of smart sh!t doesn't mean you're going to.

Check the chamber every time you pick up or are handed a firearm. Basic practice, and one of the first things my father and grandfather taught me right after rules 1 and 2.

The beauty of basic gun safety rules is in their simplicity. You have an easy multi-step process to follow where if you fail to do all but one step, you still don't shoot yourself or anybody else. You have to fail to do all of them in order to shoot yourself or someone else.

That is one of the reasons a lot of folks here will say that there are only negligent discharges, never accidental discharges.

I bet if it has an effective loaded chamber indicator, the outcome would have been different.

(End sarcasm)

Every firearm is loaded until you have personally verified otherwise each and every time you pick up the firearm.

This was my Grandfather's rule.

It has kept me safe for more than 30 years, hundreds of thousands of rounds, and hundreds of cleanings.

I am quite surprised that people who own guns do not know that they ARE ALWAYS LOADED. even when you are SURE they are not. tiny gnomes insert the bullets when you turn your back.

The gun was loaded and he pulled the trigger, this is not rocket science. How many detectives are they going to assign to this case before they figure out what happened ? When you put a round in the chamber and pull the trigger, the gun goes bang !! That's what it suppose to do ! Next case !!!!

I am a compulsive racker from my military days. Every time I pick up an unloaded firearm first thing I do is clear it and look into the chamber. Every time.

People really still buy into "was cleaning the gun when"?

Glocks require you to pull the trigger before you can field strip. More than a few people have had negligent discharges with Glocks when field stripping. They remove the magazine, somehow forget to clear the chamber (or screw up the order of those two tasks) and then pull the trigger -- boom. Of course, that doesn't explain the added stupidity of pointing it at yourself while pulling the trigger, but, again, he isn't the first to do that either.

Back
Top Bottom