Identifying Pre Ban Glock Scherer Magazines

What are the rules for determining if a 9mm 31 round Scherer magazine is pre-ban or not? Do same rules apply as the glock factory mags, i.e. if it has a U-notch it is pre-ban? Thanks for all future responses!

Do same rules apply as the glock factory mags, i.e. if it has a U-notch it is pre-ban?

I don't know where you picked that up, but it's not true.
I'm not sure there is any such thing as a scherer 33rd pre-ban. I've never seen one.

I've seen some classifieds here on NES and other web-sites with people selling pre-ban Scherer 33 round magazines. I can't find any thing on the web about these mags. I guess the better question to ask is "are there any pre-ban Scherer 33 round mags" out there. Then, if so what features on the mag identify it as a pre-ban mag?

What are the rules for determining if a 9mm 31 round Scherer magazine is pre-ban or not? Do same rules apply as the glock factory mags, i.e. if it has a U-notch it is pre-ban? Thanks for all future responses!

Have fun with that..... [rofl]

Not trying to be a dick, but myself being a person who used to engage in such things.... you'll probably soon discover that it's an exercise in futility.

-Mike

No idea. Perhaps (long shot) Patrick Sweeney's book on Glocks might have some info on this. Otherwise contact Scherer and see what they can tell you.

Call sherer. They will tell you the dates they have been making magazines. I had one and called to find out myself, they have been in business before the ban and making those before the ban but are not date stamped anywhere No way to actually legally prove they are pre ban for mass. But theres no way to prove there not pre ban either. Sticky situation. Thanks mass

While we're talking about pre-ban mags, what are the thoughts on carrying with them? I don't mean a 30 round, that *might* be difficult to conceal, but what about a factory pre-ban a.k.a. non crippled mag?

Any reason not to put a 15 round mag in your carry gun in MA?

In particular, I'm wondering about additional ramifications if I ever am forced to defend myself.

Last edited:
Any reason not to put a 15 round mag in your carry gun in MA?
No.
In particular, I'm wondering about additional ramifications if I ever am forced to defend myself.
In MA? They'll probably try to hang you from the rafters for killing some poor defenseless rapist anyways.

If you know it's pre-ban for a fact, carry it.

No.

In MA? They'll probably try to hang you from the rafters for killing some poor defenseless rapist anyways.

If you know it's pre-ban for a fact, carry it.

This. I mean come on. Glock mags are Glock mags. In the winter I carry a Gen4 19 with 15+1 in a new mag.

The question is, when the shooting starts , do you want to be armed or legal ?

/nanny state fearmongering

This. I mean come on. Glock mags are Glock mags. In the winter I carry a Gen4 19 with 15+1 in a new mag.

The question is, when the shooting starts , do you want to be armed or legal ?

/nanny state fearmongering

I realize this us an old post but since it’s still relevant, I would like to address all three issues brought up here.
1) Scherer Magazines:
Still sold by midway. They are NOT 31 rounds but rather 29 rounds. 31 if it has a +2 base plate which is also manufactured by Scherer.
They are essentially crap. Read the reviews on midway. Based on my research there is no info (that I have found) regarding differences between pre and post ban magazines made by Scherer. No mystery dots, lower caliber stamp, no u vs square notch. BUT....they are CRAP! Why would you pay for and use a piece of crap?

2) Carrying a firearm with a magazine over Ten rounds that is CERTIFIED preban. Yes, go ahead it’s perfectly legal. If you get in a self defense situation be aware you MIGHT be put in the position of proving its preban. Yes I know you don’t have to..... well that position will get you in hot water.....
Prosecutor to jury; “Mr. Smith knowingly and deliberately put a magazine with more than 10 rounds in his pistol. This is a clear violation of section bla bla bla. The only reason for a high capacity magazine is to kill more people. If the defense can show it’s a legal magazine let them do so. Besides It only takes 1 bullet to kill a person so why does he need so many bullets? yada yada yada..
Your defense attorney to the jury: “it IS a pre-ban magazine and we don’t have to prove it. Even though we can prove it we won’t. Why? because the prosecutor needs to prove it’s not and we enjoy wasting the court’s time. We rest on that principle. As does my clients freedom.”

Good luck with that scenario.

3) Carrying a firearm with a post ban magazine over ten rounds. This one is tricky. Yes it’s better to be alive than dead. But that’s not the only choice here.
Is it better to be alive in prison as opposed to being dead? Not I’m my opinion.
Is an extra 3-5 rounds so important it’s worth that risk? Not in my opinion.
Is it possible not to break the law and still protect yourself? Yes!

1) buy a certified pre-ban magazine and be prepared to prove it beyond any doubt. Yes it sucks but wtf it’s your freedom on the line.
2) become more proficient with your carry weapon and use a 10 round magazine.
3) Do both of the above.
4) “The quickest reload is a second firearm”. Buy two pistols and carry both. 20 rounds!

Personally I’d rather be dead than spend a year in prison never mind 5, 10 or 20. But that’s just me.
Besides how can we pro 2nd Amendment people hang our hats on the letter of the law with one hand and then break the law with the other?

Respectfully
RS

RS, using your logic they shouldn't carry more than the 1 mag in the gun either as the ADA will point out that extra mags prove the person wanted to kill people. [thinking]

Unless you are carrying original (unmarked) 9mm U-channel Glock mag, there is no way to get "certification" from Glock about the pre-ban status of any Glock mag! I know that from personally talking with their US General Counsel. So neither the prosecution or defense will get any help from Glock. So, given your logic, one should never carry a Glock unless it was with (only) ONE 10-rd mag in the gun.

It’s really easy to identify pre ban glock mags. It’s all about the placement of the caliber stamp. If it’s low(close to the witness holes) then it’s pre ban. If it’s high(close to the top of the mag) it’s post ban. They raised the caliber stamp for the 1994 federal ban so they could write the words restricted for LE/government use only between the caliber stamp and the witness holes. After the ban they never lowered the caliber stamp.

Attachments

• 3C8AE1FD-A698-4F4A-9790-EECBED60B3F0.jpeg
    3C8AE1FD-A698-4F4A-9790-EECBED60B3F0.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 143
It’s really easy to identify pre ban glock mags. It’s all about the placement of the caliber stamp. If it’s low(close to the witness holes) then it’s pre ban. If it’s high(close to the top of the mag) it’s post ban. They raised the caliber stamp for the 1994 federal ban so they could write the words restricted for LE/government use only between the caliber stamp and the witness holes. After the ban they never lowered the caliber stamp.
Not entirely true.

There is a huge difference between folklore, or "everyone on the internet knows" and being able to prove post-ban status beyond a reasonable doubt in court.

Or "my friend so and so is a cop and a Glock armorer and claims that he knows" [rofl] despite the fact that the factory has never printed anything about this issue officially....

-Mike

Personally I’d rather be dead than spend a year in prison never mind 5, 10 or 20. But that’s just me.

Not sure if serious. You might as well just not carry at all, if you're legitimately more afraid of jail than dying. [rofl]

Besides how can we pro 2nd Amendment people hang our hats on the letter of the law with one hand and then break the law with the other?

Not sure what you mean by this. But I'll take a stab.... because malum prohibitum laws are retarded, and even aside from that, if the state wants to prosecute someone for having a piece of plastic or metal that was born on the wrong date, it has the burden of proof in doing so. The way the law is written, even in MA, doesn't magically alter due process because of mass gnomish mysticism or some DA or prosecutor has their sensibilities offended.

-Mike

I used to have a copy of an email from Scherer years ago...it said if the metal underlining was black, it is definitely preban. If the metal lining is silver, most likely post ban. Hope that helps...

RS, using your logic they shouldn't carry more than the 1 mag in the gun either as the ADA will point out that extra mags prove the person wanted to kill people. [thinking]

Unless you are carrying original (unmarked) 9mm U-channel Glock mag, there is no way to get "certification" from Glock about the pre-ban status of any Glock mag! I know that from personally talking with their US General Counsel. So neither the prosecution or defense will get any help from Glock. So, given your logic, one should never carry a Glock unless it was with (only) ONE 10-rd mag in the gun.
What is a certified preban? Sounds like certified organic bs
My certified pre-owned pre-bans came with a 10 year, 100,000 round warranty from the dealer. ;)

It is not possible to distinguish between a pre ban and a post ban magazine. They are and were identical - How do I know? I made all of them. M J Molding Hebron, Illinois.

I challenge anyone to find a definitive source for this. Until then I call bullshit.

I challenge anyone to find a definitive source for this. Until then I call bullshit.

"BBBBBUTTT BBUT sum glock armorer told me...." [rofl]
"he has a badge and knows what hes talking about, becuz he read it from a book" [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom