Identifying a mako vs blue Shark

NES Member
So I went on a fishing trip yesterday and there was some debate amongst some on the boat on the differences between a mako and blue shark. What are the easy tell tale differences on identifying the two?

A Mako's teeth are pretty distinct looking and noticeable even when their mouths are closed.
Not sure how close you were though.

So maybe one of our experienced fisherman can chime in here.

It was out first time going for shark. We usually go for stripers. My buddy who owns the boat pretty much said the same thing. Mako have messed up teeth where the blue are more even, and the dorsal on the mako closer to the pect's.

mako nose is pointed, and teeth seemingly come out of its mouth ( same family as great whites), blues have a more rounded snout, and teeth are more inside of mouth. also front fins on Blues are really long! and the easiestbluedog.jpg way is they are really blue

you'll immediately know the difference when you set the hook in one, as the Blue dogs are more of a lazy pull, while the Mako will blast off and they become airborne pretty regularly!

you'll immediately know the difference when you set the hook in one, as the Blue dogs are more of a lazy pull, while the Mako will blast off and they become airborne pretty regularly!

Yeah, we had 7 blues yesterday (live released them all). They would grab the bait and take off and make no mistake that reeling them in was a task, but no jumping out of the water. The biggest pain in the ass was when they get to the boat they dive straight down and you spend another 10-15 minutes reeling them back in. No meat for us, but we had a great time. Much different experience then stripers. It's a lot less work getting them on the line, much more work getting them to the boat.

Yeah, we had 7 blues yesterday (live released them all). They would grab the bait and take off and make no mistake that reeling them in was a task, but no jumping out of the water. The biggest pain in the ass was when they get to the boat they dive straight down and you spend another 10-15 minutes reeling them back in. No meat for us, but we had a great time. Much different experience then stripers. It's a lot less work getting them on the line, much more work getting them to the boat.

I don't like seafood but I've been told fresh Mako is really, really good.
I think i'd like to try it.

Try a filet from each one, the one that doesn't make you throw up in your mouth is Maco.

Blue Shark: The fish may be eaten, but it is necessary to bleed it while it is still alive. After it is dead it should be cleaned, skinned and soaked as soon as possible to avoid the taste of urea in the meat.

Uh Oh, better get a Mako.

TP

There are a few species of sharks in our waters that are great fighters and even better on the grill. Mako and Thresher are two that I have caught,on board processed and iced to keep fresh!

Back
Top Bottom