• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Identify this old uniform?

A guy I know that deals in antiques is trying to place this photograph.

Anyone recognize the uniform?

11752056_695272477244175_4131757194736907364_n.jpg

Looks like 1895 officers uniform calvery

Last edited:
I have some pictures of my great grandfather in a similar uniform jacket. I also have a couple of presentation swords, one is engraved presented to Major so and so (my great grandfather) by company such and such of the MVM June 6, 1912. Thinking MVM is Mass. Volunteer Militia maybe. One of the pictures also my shows my great grandfather in said uniform, my grandfather and my father at probably age five or six at perhaps a 4th of July celebration, lots of flags at any rate and probably at a cemetery. My father at that age would date the picture to 1923 or so. They were from western Mass.

Edit - dug out some old things and have a framed certificate from the governor and commander in chief that my great grandfather was elected Captain of Company F Second Regiment Infantry First Brigade of the Militia of this Commonwealth. June 6, 1901. Have another that he was retired in April 1912 at rank of Major. Where the OPs pic has Mass. on the collar maybe the pictures subject was part of the MVM also or a guard unit maybe. Have to see exactly what the MVM was.

Edit #2 looks like they are still around - who knew? Go here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_State_Defense_Force

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom