• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Identify this choke?

Acquired a 1900-made Winchester 1897 in 12 gauge, and it appears it's been threaded for choke tubes.
I took the one in the barrel out and it reads simply, "STEEL SHOT 2C.A."

Here's two pictures:
1617406217984.png 1617406233838.png

Does anyone have insight on which manufacturer this might be? Perhaps Carlson's, or Colonial?
My shotgun gauge rates this one as cylinder.

Thanks.

That's odd that the muzzle is smooth/flush with no notches on the muzzle for a choke tube wrench to engage.
How did you get the tube out? Fingers? Was it not in there tight?
No other marks besides Steel Shot 2 C.A.?

That's odd that the muzzle is smooth/flush with no notches on the muzzle for a choke tube wrench to engage.
How did you get the tube out? Fingers? Was it not in there tight?
No other marks besides Steel Shot 2 C.A.?
There's notches, I just didn't photograph that side. Two, 180 degrees apart. I was able to take it out with my fingers, it wasn't very tight. Since it was loose I didn't bother with my choke wrench, assuming it would work.
No other marks besides those.

Is the barrel original to it? I did not know that steel shot was a thing, in 1900....
It has a 1935 dated barrel. Seller said it was 28'' but I haven't measured it myself. It am fairly certain it was threaded later. Just trying to determine which style of choke so that I could buy some more myself for clays, etc.

There's notches, I just didn't photograph that side. Two, 180 degrees apart. I was able to take it out with my fingers, it wasn't very tight. Since it was loose I didn't bother with my choke wrench, assuming it would work.
No other marks besides those.

It has a 1935 dated barrel. Seller said it was 28'' but I haven't measured it myself. It am fairly certain it was threaded later. Just trying to determine which style of choke so that I could buy some more myself for clays, etc.

Its a Colonial:

1617411945588.png

Back
Top Bottom