• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Identify Sig P226 Preban Mags??

kwatz

NES Member
Is there any way to positively identify preban p226 magazines? I saw a couple online @gunbroker that say they are preban stainless mags, but they don't have the zipperback. They look pretty much like my 2009 mecgar 10 round mags without the cripple base plate. Any help on this?

There are some non zipper backs that are legit pre-ban. IFAIK there's nothing special about them - aside from not being date-stamped

Some signs, although this is NOT AN INCLUSIVE LIST - eg, there may be LOTS more prebans that don't meet these criteria:

-Mags have zig zag or zipper pattern in the back.
-Mags are phosphated (dull grey or black coat)
-Mags have witness holes in the back and not the sides
-Mags DO NOT have any LE/Mil Marking on the front strap of the mag (this is pretty much the main issue, anything with this marking is illegal for you to own, for certain)

Also be aware that there are vendors like Eagle, Ramline, MecGar, etc, that made prebans for these guns, and IDing the difference between pre and post on these vendors may be pretty much impossible.

-Mike

I'll also note that when looking at mags, examine the front strap closely. It is very easy to miss the LE markings on sig mags, because on the phosphated mags, these markings are very subtle. I've lost track of the amount of times where I almost bought a marked mag but looked at it a second time closely and noticed the "weak" print of the LE marking.

-Mike

I'll also note that when looking at mags, examine the front strap closely. It is very easy to miss the LE markings on sig mags, because on the phosphated mags, these markings are very subtle. I've lost track of the amount of times where I almost bought a marked mag but looked at it a second time closely and noticed the "weak" print of the LE marking.

-Mike

Arent those also pre ban? Correct me if wrong, but
werent those mags made during the '94 ban?

I've also read talk about what the roll marked logos mean on the body and on the floor plate.

Some mags have 'P226' marked on the floor plate. My understanding is that those are among the oldest. Also, some are marked with both "SIG SAUER" and "P226" below that. I *believe* those are the oldest style also, but I'm not positive about that.

I've also read talk about what the roll marked logos mean on the body and on the floor plate.

Some mags have 'P226' marked on the floor plate. My understanding is that those are among the oldest. Also, some are marked with both "SIG SAUER" and "P226" below that. I *believe* those are the oldest style also, but I'm not positive about that.

There are also some mags that just say "SigSauer" on the side and don't have the model number at all. Those might be really old as well, since at least for a time, the P226 was the only doublestack pistol Sig was importing/selling in the US, so there wouldn't have been much of a need to differentiate those mags by a model number.

-Mike

Bought this as a preban on here from a reputible seller a few months ago.

An employee at Gun Parlor told me it is not preban, later found exact look alikes the parlor were selling so maybe he just wasnt informed.
heis there any defining feature to be sure?

Attachments

• 20211119_205949.jpg
    20211119_205949.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211119_210028.jpg
    20211119_210028.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211119_210002.jpg
    20211119_210002.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20211119_205956.jpg
    20211119_205956.jpg