Ideas please. AR sniper build??

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm a long time shooter but a newb to the world of EBRs.
Recently purchased an M&P 15 flat top and fitted it out with an Eotech. Love it!
Currently waiting on my NES lower and my first build. My son (age 13) wants to make this next one a sniper rifle. Other than putting a longer barrel and some higher powered glass does anyone have any thoughts or ideas for us? Does this even make sense?
Looking forward to your help and answers.

go with an Optics Ready Carbine (ORC)

S&W, DPMS ect...

i'm in the middle of that right now. i have a DPMS w / 20" barrel, A2 font sight / gas block which i'd like to change out eventually along with the hand guards for the cool factor.

but as is, i can drop a scope on it and it's ready to go.

Well, there are MANY options...Here's mine:

My NES-007 AR build:

- Anvil Arms Stripped Receiver
- Rock River Arms NM 2-Stage Trigger
- Rock River Arms Varmint A4 Upper with:
- 24" Stainless Wilson Barrel (1:8 Twist)
- Hogue Free Float Tube
- Wylde Chamber
- Rock River Arms Ergo Target Grip
- Magpul Sniper Adjustable Stock
- Super Sniper SS10X42M Scope

lizxmas.jpg

If you really want a sniper rifle get a caliber that will still pack a punch at sniping distances. I don't think 5.56x45 is the answer.

Everything else in the pc looks good to me, but it might have a camo finish so it doesn't give you away, especially that SS barrel.

Here's one I built a couple of years ago.

Olympic lower receiver
A3 flat top upper
24" ER Shaw fluted stainless varmint barrel
Jewell trigger
Aluminum free floating fore end
KNS precision anti-rotational pins
Badger Ordnance charging handle
Harris Bi-pod
Panther PG
DPMS Tactical bolt release
Power Custom mag release
I don't remember what scope I had on it when this pic was taken. My glass tends to get moved around a lot.

000_0404a.jpg

Here's one I built a couple of years ago.

Olympic lower receiver
A3 flat top upper
24" ER Shaw fluted stainless varmint barrel
Jewell trigger
Aluminum free floating fore end
KNS precision anti-rotational pins
Badger Ordnance charging handle
Harris Bi-pod
Panther PG
DPMS Tactical bolt release
Power Custom mag release
I don't remember what scope I had on it when this pic was taken. My glass tends to get moved around a lot.

000_0404a.jpg

This could be to personal but I'll ask anyway because I'd love to build a rifle like this one. Could you give me an about cost of this beauty? Also is there any special tools for the build? I was a mechanic for 30 years so I have almost every hand tool known to man. Where would one source the parts for this build? Thank you

I'd love to tell you what it cost to build, but I'm afraid I can not. Two reasons, I sourced the parts from all over, over a period of several months and never really kept track. The other reason is that since the election AR parts prices have increased dramatically. If I was going to guess, I would say I have about $1200 in it, not counting the scope and rings.

As far as tools, there are tons available for AR building but only a few I feel are really necessary. Upper and lower receiver blocks (I like the flipper from DPMS, one block does both upper and lower) Barrel wrench, Detent pin tool (a 1/4" clevis pin from the local hardware store works just as well. .25 vs $10 the choice is yours) Bolt catch pin punch, Roll pin starter punches.

Try out Brownell's new AR build site for more idea on current pricing.
You can put together endless combinations of virtual rifles.
http://www.ar15builder.com/

Here is my first build about 7 months ago it cost $$ but it's worth it. Also .223 is A good caliber out to 600yds 800yds if you load heavier bullets (69-80gr)or you can buy them. Bushmaster upper and lower recievers, 18" krieger barrel .223rem chamber, JP brake, precision grip, YHM free float hanguard, timney single stage skeleton trigger, magpul prs buttstock, topped off with A nightforce 5.5-22 NP-R1 sitting on top of A Larue tactilal mount.Cost for everything $3,800subtract the cost of the scope and mount and that's what it cost to build. Only 65 shots through her and she's getting more accurate as we go on. Last range 106yd avg. .327" 5/3shot groups, smallest .113." largest .522". 200yd avg. .512 5/4shot groups smallest .396" largest .642" used 69 nosler custom competitions I only shot her once at 500yds 10-12mph crosswind 4.892" 5 shots. Just my opinion but if you want to build A sniper go with A 7"T or 8"T
tops, my mistake was getting A 9T but she still shoots lights out but I can only shoot so heavy of A bullet. Spend the extra money on krieger my advice there are alot of great barrel makers out there ALOT but Krieger is Definitly the best.
101.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom