• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ideas for refinishing shotgun stock

So I have be refurbishing a shotgun and its time to get going on the stock and forend. Im planning on going with the same stain because i think it looks great, but as you can see there is paint speckled all over it which has eaten through the gloss coat. What im looking for is tips on shaving this down without doing damage to the original woodwork. Ive seen other posts about sanding down the wood, but none of the threads i found had any decor on the wood to preserve. So hopefully there are some ideas out there. Thanks.

5y5a8e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before even thinking of sanding and staining it, buy some latex paint remover like Goof-Off or Goo Gone
(assuming it is latex paint), and strip the paint off.

To clean the rest of the wood, use something like Simple Green and a stiff bristle brush and/or toothbrush to remove the
embedded grime from the checkering.

Let it dry, then give it a light wipe with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil (others might suggest Tung Oil or boiled linseed oil).

Buff it out with a cotton rag, and if the results are satisfactory, apply another coat of Tru-Oil.

It just might end up that there's no need to sand and restain it after all.

So you don't want to restain it, or you want to restain it the same color? Because if you are willing to restain it, just drop it in some paint stripper to get everything off of it. A lot easier than sanding or etc.

Get some citri strip and do a couple coats. Let it
Dry and you will be down to bare wood. Restrain whatever color under the rainbow you want....put a few coats of poly on it with a few hundo grit paper or wool and it will look awesome. Problem solved. Total cost $15

Last edited:
That paint isn't coming off without taking off anything under or around it, so it looks like i'm taking it all down to the wood. Thanks for the thoughts

If its latex it should peal off with some careful razor work. You can slowly pic the paint from the checkering. Have you tried just turpentine?
As for a final finish True oil is decent. Looks good and can be built up in layers.
for looks I like 100% tung oil. For best wear and weather protection poly does well also. I just don't like the plastic layer look of poly.

I had a 30/30 and used furniture stripper to take the stain out and get it down to naked wood. Furniture stripper worked great. Stained the stock with a rag and polyurethane - sanding in between coats of poly - looked pretty good. Only thing I would do differently is do more thinner coats of poly rather less thicker coats.

So here is the update to completion:

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 42
Nice work.

Crazy how someone would get paint on a shotgun like that! gun abuse!

I guess I missed this thread the first time around but sometimes you can luck out and scrub paint off old wood with just water, soap, and a scouring pad. I recently got an old wood crate at a yard sale that was probably from the 30s and it has paint splashed on two sides. Using just warm water and dish soap 90% of the paint came off with a scouring pad and the rest came off with a brass brush, and a few spots I used a dremel with metal brush. I was surprised how easy it came off but old wood doesn't absorb paint well at all. And soap and water is a LOT cheaper than buying paint stripper.

Last edited:
Nice work.

Crazy how someone would get paint on a shotgun like that! gun abuse!

I guess I missed this thread the first time around but sometimes you can luck out and scrub paint off old wood with just water, soap, and a scouring pad. I recently got an old wood crate at a yard sale that was probably from the 30s and it has paint splashed on two sides. Using just warm water and dish soap 90% of the paint came off with a scouring pad and the rest came off with a brass brush, and a few spots I used a dremel with metal brush. I was surprised how easy it came off but old wood doesn't absorb paint well at all. And soap and water is a LOT cheaper than buying paint stripper.

Yeah I wish i could have done it cheap, it was house paint though. Meant to weather and it ate through the poly coat. Where i chipped it off was basically exposed wood. Had to go the long route, but it came out better than I could imagine. I had wanted it a bit lighter in color but I won't complain with the results.

Back
Top Bottom