Ideal First Gun & Accessories - Help!!

the fiancee said and I quote (I think this is funny) "I don't want a gun that looks like a WW2 German Officer's gun". Set aside everything else, I know better than to argue (don't we all) haha. SO with that said, I need to find her a pistol in the style of a Walther P22 or something along those lines....

Ironically Walther actually made some of the handguns your fiance is so concerned about, even using concentration camp labor to do so for a couple of years during WW2.

I'm not suggesting that you not buy a Walther for this reason. The shady past of the company really has no connection to its modern iteration, and many of the Walther products are very nice. Buying a gun based on looks when there is another option that has it beat in durability, reliability, ease of shooting and general accuracy might be a let down once the shine is off your new purchase.

Ironically Walther actually made some of the handguns your fiance is so concerned about, even using concentration camp labor to do so for a couple of years during WW2.

I'm not suggesting that you not buy a Walther for this reason. The shady past of the company really has no connection to its modern iteration, and many of the Walther products are very nice. Buying a gun based on looks when there is another option that has it beat in durability, reliability, ease of shooting and general accuracy might be a let down once the shine is off your new purchase.

Haha I just read your response to her.

I would get a full size semi auto 9mm of your flavor. Go to the gun shop and find the best one that fits your hand. 9mm ammo is fairly cheap and easy to find.

I would get a full size semi auto 9mm of your flavor. Go to the gun shop and find the best one that fits your hand. 9mm ammo is fairly cheap and easy to find.

This is what I did. I've learned a flinch, which is non-ideal, but I'm doing action shooting, and I can hit a 8" circle at 20 yards, which is good enough for me. It does cost a good deal more, though.

So, armed with my new LTC (came in this afternoon) with no restrictions, we went to First Defense in Uxbridge.

First off, Dennis, Shelly (sp?) & Mike were very helpful and friendly. Mike was very patient with us and answered all our questions. However, when we looked at our .22 options, it boiled down to the Walther P22 & Ruger MK3. As soon as the fiancee picked up the MK3 she was 100% sure she was not going to enjoy that gun. The weight was a problem for her and we both knew she'd only be able to shoot a few rounds before she got tired. We talked about the SIG Mosquito and apparently the feeding problems have been declared as a defect by SIG and they have been in the process of remaking the Mosquito. According to Shelly they will have the new revamped Mosquito in a few weeks.

We decided to wait and check out the Mosquito when they have it seeing how it's a full frame, and not tiny like the Walther P22.

HOWEVER. I was not about to leave the store empty handed. SOOO I bought one of the guns I knew I'd eventually buy and that we both loved in our hands, the feel was great, the weight.... So we got a S&W M&P 9mm. Mike showed me how to break it down and clean it, and I did just that right after dinner haha. I took a pic or two before putting it away:

MP9003.jpg

OH, one more thing. After I cleaned the gun I played a bit with it, loaded the mags, practicing loading, unloading... I noticed that getting a 10th round in my mag was near impossible even though they are 10 round mags. Also, when I did get a 10th round in, the mag wouldn't go in all the way (in the gun) so I had to take that 10th round back out.... Anyone know why I had this problem?????

I am not about to ask: What's the best first gun for me to buy? I know it's a very tough question to answer so I'm looking for advice or personal opinion in regards to a few points:

don't get so hell bent on caliber and anything else, other than sticking to the usual 9mm, .40, or .45. get what feels right in your hand and is good on your wallet. I bought my first handgun at first defense... we literally went down the line putting handguns in my hand to feel what felt right. I liked the berettas (nice roundish grip), but they were at the higher end of what I was looking to spend. I tried rugers, s&w, and a bunch of others. I eventually got a sig in my hand and it felt great, but the damn thing was over $800. towards the end I tried glocks... I never thought I'd end up with a glock. we tried some full size, compacts, and sub-compacts. I settled on a glock 22 in .40 SW that was a used LEM model. the thing was about 2/3 the price of the berettas I was originally looking at.

it's your first handgun... get something you like holding, and doesn't break the bank. put a sh*t ton of rounds through it and get another one... and another one, and another one...

OH, one more thing. After I cleaned the gun I played a bit with it, loaded the mags, practicing loading, unloading... I noticed that getting a 10th round in my mag was near impossible even though they are 10 round mags. Also, when I did get a 10th round in, the mag wouldn't go in all the way (in the gun) so I had to take that 10th round back out.... Anyone know why I had this problem?????

sorry, missed this post. the glock I purchased was used, but with a new 10rd magazine. the spring in the new (10 rd) magazines needed to be broken in... at first, I couldn't even get the tenth round in. even the 9th round would muck things up big time, preventing the magazine from locking in and pushing the slide lock up. after a day or two of letting 9 rounds sit in the magazine, it's perfectly fine. just gotta get 10 rounds in there and let them compress the magazine spring...

nice gun. I probably held that same one, but it was just too narrow for my long fingers.

sorry, missed this post. the glock I purchased was used, but with a new 10rd magazine. the spring in the new (10 rd) magazines needed to be broken in... at first, I couldn't even get the tenth round in. even the 9th round would muck things up big time, preventing the magazine from locking in and pushing the slide lock up. after a day or two of letting 9 rounds sit in the magazine, it's perfectly fine. just gotta get 10 rounds in there and let them compress the magazine spring...

nice gun. I probably held that same one, but it was just too narrow for my long fingers.

Thank you, I love holding it haha, had a hard time locking it and putting it away. Thanks for the tip on the 10rd issue. I'm gonna load em up now and put them away. I'll be in Japan for a little over a week so hopefully by the time I get back they'd be loosened up a bit.

I think your choice of an M&P 9 as your first handgun is a superb one. Congrats!

As was stated above, your mag spring will loosen over time. The more you shoot and unload/reload the mag the faster you'll break them in. I actually doubt that leaving it loaded will do anything as the action of compression and decompression is what actually breaks a spring in, not the state of being compressed.

If you are at all mechanically inclined I highly recommend picking up an Apex Tactical M&P trigger kit. It will make your M&P much easier to shoot on target.

Again, congrats, be safe and have fun!

I think your choice of an M&P 9 as your first handgun is a superb one. Congrats!

As was stated above, your mag spring will loosen over time. The more you shoot and unload/reload the mag the faster you'll break them in. I actually doubt that leaving it loaded will do anything as the action of compression and decompression is what actually breaks a spring in, not the state of being compressed.

If you are at all mechanically inclined I highly recommend picking up an Apex Tactical M&P trigger kit. It will make your M&P much easier to shoot on target.

Again, congrats, be safe and have fun!

Thank you!!

I actually talked to Mike about the trigger, told him I wasn't in love with it and he explained that it's not the best and that I could bring in my gun down the road for a trigger job in the range of $130... I am mechanically inclined however and for the price I just quickly found (about $60) I'm def willing to try this myself after a few hundred rounds with the current trigger. I also want to get the fiber optic sights that they just came out with for it.

I can't wait to get back from my trip, hoping to shoot it next weekend [rockon]

Nice choice on the gun, it's one I'm potentially considering for purchase (at some point...when I'm not broke again). They have a pretty good reputation around here, a few vocal individuals notwithstanding.

My girlfriend likes the Mosquitos as well, if they really do fix the reliability issues, that'd be great.

Enjoy your purchase!

They recently changed the followers in the M&P mags, and the new ones suck in ten rounders. I've got some of the old ones, and I've been meaning to take a dremel to one of the new ones to see if I can fix it. I think you made an excellent choice for your first gun.

jar let me know if your dremel fix works. S&W had a rebate going where I could get $50 back or 2 Mags. I'm going to send it in for the 2 Mags (according to Mike it's a better deal).

Also, I would obviously like to make it to a range as soon as I get back from Japan (it's pretty awesome here in Tokyo btw, I like it so far). Question is, I'm on the midway site and trying to order the few things that I'm going to need for my first trip. I figured I'd need a bag of some sort that's going to be dedicated for this and I found one with a lotta good reviews.

I need suggestions on

- Targets
- Ear/Eye protection
- Where to buy a bulk of 9mm ammo
- Anything else I need to take with me? I already bought a holster and a basic cleaning kit.

Also ammoman.com has 9mm Luger 9mm FEDERAL FMJ 124 GRAIN - AMERICAN EAGLE - BOXER PRIMED / NON CORROSIVE: 500 rounds for $159 & 1000 for $289.

Is that good ammo to shoot and is the price a fair one?

Edit: browsing threads, found this guy selling ammo

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/99813-AMMO-38-SPL-amp-9MM-LUGER

1000-rds 9mm LUGER 115 GR. NC L9MM3 Remington (2006)
$210.00

1950-rds 9mm LUGER 115 GR.FMJ J19M5 CCI Blazer (2006)
$400.00

which one's better and is this a good price?

Last edited:
just saw somewhere that I can't get ammo shipped to MA... is that accurate? I guess I'll be visiting walmart or something...

Questioin; the day of a shoot, I know the gun needs to be in a locked box (the trunk won't do as I drive a VW GTI - Hatchback). Can the ammo be in any container?

just saw somewhere that I can't get ammo shipped to MA... is that accurate? I guess I'll be visiting walmart or something...

Yes, most ammo places don't ship to MA... and if you know of one that actually does, DO NOT post it on NES.

In most cases though you're better off driving somewhere and picking up some ammo. It'll usually be cheaper. WalMart ends up being cheaper than about 95% of the
mail order vendors, at least on the common grade practice ammo they sell.

-Mike

Thank you Mike. Aside from Walmart & Gun Dealers, anywhere else to look?

I get ammo from Dick's Sporting Goods, they have decent prices. A little short on .45, usually :( They periodically have sales, as well.

You don't necessarily have to have a handgun locked up on the way to the range, especially if you have an unrestricted or ALP permit, assuming the gun is under your direct control.

For targets, I use paper plates. They are cheap. The Shoot 'N See stick on things are pretty nice, if you'd like to treat yourself on occasion.

For ears, I wear these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=568680

I just wear my regular glasses as eyes, but I've been thinking of upgrading to a set of prescription eye protection from ESS. Get yourself a half decent set of polycarbonate eyes and you'll be fine. Some of them come with interchangeable lenses, in case you decide to switch colors or if a lens gets scratched. You'll probably be fine with a clear set, for now.

My "range kit" is a toolbox that has a staple gun, sharpies, eyes, ears, my range ID (to show I've been cleared to use the range) and baby wipes to get the burnt powder off my hands when I'm done. I carry the gun(s) on my hip, or in a backpack with my ammo. You could buy a nice multi-pistol range bag, but you'll have to make sure you can stick a lock on it if it is out of your direct possession. I have individual pistol cases, I bought a set of 4 locks with matched keys to fit on them.

If that blazer ammunition is brass cased, it might be fine. Their aluminum cased stuff is junk, though I'll buy it anyway if it is all that I can find (again, I'm shooting .45...hard to find still). You may find it works just fine in your gun, in which case, enjoy it. The remington stuff is pretty good.

If you want to buy bulk ammo, you might be able to order it at your local gun store. They'll sometimes order a case for you if you request it, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Other stores will run specials if you buy a full case, as well.

You can also email every online ammo distributor you can find to see if they'll ship here. 9mm is fairly easy to get, now, so it might be best to just get it locally. Some calibers are nearly impossible to find in stores. Again, if you come across a distributor that will ship to MA - PLEASE do not mention it by name here. There are people watching.

ETA: I also will generally wear cheap foam earplugs under the ear muffs, it gives me more protection when shooting, and a variable amount so I can chat while the range is hot. You only get one set of ears, protect them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom