• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ideal First Gun & Accessories - Help!!

s4mt3k

NES Member
Hello everyone,

Fiancee just got her LTC today and hopefully mine won't take much longer to come through.

I am not about to ask: What's the best first gun for me to buy? I know it's a very tough question to answer so I'm looking for advice or personal opinion in regards to a few points:

- What Caliber? We want to practice a lot in the beginning without breaking the bank. I figured a .22 might not be a bad idea... what about 9mm? .40? what's everybody paying approx for those calibers?

- What type of gun is best for "lots of shooting" not necessarily fast fire, but more importantly shooting for a while?

- I am buying brand new cause this is a first gun and because it's cheap enough (I think anyway) so here's where I look for "In your opinion what gun should I get"

- I live in Milford MA, what's a good dealer to go to in the area for this?

- What accessories do I need to consider right along with the first gun(s) and should I buy online for savings?

Sorry for the long post, any and all thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Thank you in advance [rockon]

What's your budget? What do you want the gun for, primarily learning to shoot or is having it as a self defense tool important? If you want a defense gun, can you swing two guns?

I suggest starting with a 22, unless you need one gun to serve first gun and self defense gun duties. I'm partial to the Ruger Mk3 series and the S&W 617, personally.

For your first defensive caliber gun, I personally recommend a full size (4.25") M&P 9, a Glock 19 (4"), or a 4" K or L frame S&W in 38/357. These are small enough that you can carry them, but big enough to be easier to shoot.

On all recommendations, the most important thing is to try the guns for yourself and make your own opinions. The best and cheapest way to do this is to spend the $19 to become an NES member and come to one of the member's only shoots. NES folks are very generous with their guns and ammo, especially if it's a chance to get you to buy their favorite.

At Walmart, 22LR runs $15-20 per 500 rounds, 9MM about $22-24 per 100, and 38 special and 40SW around $30/100.

As far as accessories, you'll need a basic cleaning kit, eye and ear protection, and a means of legally / safely storing your gun. For a defensive gun, you'll need a holster and preferably a magazine carrier or two. Buy holsters online, most gun shops have poor selections of crappy holsters. I'm personally partial to Comp-Tac.

Regarding shops, others more local can answer better, but I've shot with and liked the guys from First Defense in Uxbridge, and heard tons of good things about the shop.

Jar it's $21 now for membership. [wink][smile] Everything else, spot on.

Go green, come to the 5/15 shoot and test some out, see what you like.

First Defense is the place to go.

jar, thanks for your detailed response.

My budget: I am not sure... I figured for a .22 shouldn't be that expensive...

Purpose: It needs to be a practice piece and a self defense piece will be coming shortly after

NES Membership: This along with a NRA membership are a definite as soon as I get my LTC, I will definitely be taking ppl up on the offer of trying their guns, it will help me narrow down the list of things I want (Springfield 1911, P220 Elite, Glock 27, Glock 30, Polymer 9mm or .40 for carry and that's not even talking about the rifles that I want to get into [laugh][shocked] ... )

Accessories:
I might shop for all these online, but as far as the case/safe is concerned, should I also buy online??? do you have some websites for me to look through for accessories/safes?

Thanks [grin]

Regarding shops, others more local can answer better, but I've shot with and liked the guys from First Defense in Uxbridge, and heard tons of good things about the shop.

Go green, come to the 5/15 shoot and test some out, see what you like.

First Defense is the place to go.

I will be checking out First Defense then. The shoot on the 15th, how late does it run? I will be landing in Boston around 3pm (coming back from Japan).

Definitely go for a .22 first, especially if you don't have much shooting experience.

You'll keep shooting it, even after you move to "big boy" guns, it's great, inexpensive fun.

The Ruger "Mark" series (MkII, MkIII etc) are perennial favorites, if bashed a bit for how hard they are to break down. I have a MkIII 5.5", it's a great gun, and can grow to fit the shooter with aftermarket parts. They run in the mid $300's. I regularly shoot several hundred rounds an outing from mine, if you want a "lot" of shooting, you can't go wrong - especially with the price of .22 compared to other calibers.

As for accessories, you'll need to have your gun locked up, per the law. A good set of ear and eye protection is essential, most ranges require eyes and ears, and you'll want to protect what you got. I have a set of Peltor Bullseye earmuffs, they are pretty comfortable and affordable. I often double up on hearing protection and put in foamies under my muffs, they are pretty cheap and I see no reason to get the best protection I can. I wouldn't worry about electronic hearing protection for now. You can always keep the regular ears you buy now for guests if you upgrade later. Find a set of polycarbonate shooting glasses, clear is fine for now. For a .22, you'll likely not need a holster.

I use paper plates for targets, cheap and plentiful. I have a tool box with some sharpies, eyes, ears and staplegun, as well as some baby wipes to get the GSR off my hands after shooting - at the very least, make sure you wash your hands when you get home.

I purchase most of my accessories from midwayusa.com, I find them a bit cheaper than brownells. I also get stuff from the local gun shops if I'm there. For purchasing a firearm, especially new, you can't beat a good "real" gun store, there are threads around with locations. If you are buying a safe...it might be best to get local, I can imagine shipping is a BEAST on one of them babies.

You don't need an LTC to join NES or the NRA, no time like the present. As a resident of Massachusetts, I HEARTILY support you joining GOAL. They are extremely active in protecting and trying to regain our rights. If I had to choose between the NRA and GOAL, GOAL would be getting my money every time.

Good luck!

At the risk of sounding like a retarded noob; does anyone else think the Rugers are ugly haha... I know performance outweighs looks any day...

Keystone, thanks for the info. I should probably look into a toolbox too, and I love the idea of paper plates. I might spoil myself a bit in the beginning with some paper targets but I think I'm going to need to cut costs everywhere to be able to get some quality pieces.

s4mt3k,

For rapid and simple access to your first handgun, consider one of these for short term storage (if you're not going to carry around the house)....

Gun Vault...
GV1000 (stick with STD model)
Select the GV2000 standard model for two or three guns. These depend on batteries, but have a backup cylindrical key opening system. The deluxe models add an interior light and ability to plug in to help extend battery life.

OR

Fort Knox Pistol Safe...
Fort Knox Pistol Box
No batteries to worry about, but also no back up opening method if you forget the combination.
24 lbs vs 5lbs for the Gun Vault MV500... will give you an idea about the much thicker gauge of steel used by Fort Knox.

Vehicle storage...
Low Profile, Gun Vault micro

All of these can be had at various retailers online or at gun shops, etc. The best prices may be ebay or amazon.com.

These all satisfy MA storage regulations, but for long gun storage and long term theft deterrence you'll likely want to consider a full size safe. Even when you have a safe, you'll still find the gun vaults usefull for fast access storage while you're at home. I keep a couple around the house in strategic locations.

Last edited:
Another vote for a .22, tons of fun to shoot, cheap, and you can learn the mechanics you'll need with a low recoil gun that shouldn't make you flinch. I always hate to see new shooters pick up a .357 or .45 to start and learn to close their eyes and flinch when it goes off.

Yeh, thinking at least one .22 (to share between the fiancee and myself) is a must.

To clarify, I've shot 800-1000 rounds of .45/.40/.357 @ ranges such as Manchester Firing (where I've shot full auto) & North Attleboro. I do know what you're saying about flinching though. I need to practice handling, holding, trigger pulling, not flinching....

My budget: I am not sure... I figured for a .22 shouldn't be that expensive...

If you're buying a quality (S&W, Colt, Ruger) .22, don't be surprised to see that they are not much cheaper (or any cheaper) than larger caliber guns.

With ammo being 'rare' now and .22lr ammo being a little more available and cheaper than the bigger stuff, prices for .22 handguns have risen over the past couple of years.

I do agree a .22 is the way to go for a first gun, then move up to larger calibers for a carry gun.

I initially thought Ruger single actions were ugly, but then I shot some. The design of the grip makes it a really easy shooter and tames recoil very well.

That being said, they are probably the best bang for the buck if you're just getting started. They are well made and tough as a tank.

Don't be afraid to buy used. They'll serve you well and as long as you want one.

A good used Ruger Single Six will run you $275-350 or so.

Older Smith and Wessons are the cream of the .22 crop. A model 17 is considered to be one of the best .22's ever made. Shopping around, you can find one in the 400-600 range.

If you're really on a budget, look around for High Standard Double nines. They're nine shooter cowboy look .22's that are almost always under $200. Cheap and dependable.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a retarded noob; does anyone else think the Rugers are ugly haha... I know performance outweighs looks any day...

Which Rugers? I think the Mk3s look good, especially the stainless 'hunter' models with the fluted barrels. The single-six revos don't do much for me either way (though I do own one and it's a nice shooter). Ruger's centerfire autos on the other hand are all pig ugly.

Pilgrim, I feel that if a .22 is going to cost as much as a defensive piece, I guess I might want to consider a dual purpose first piece.... I donno...

jar, just looked up the hunter model and it is considerably nicer than the MK3 Standard... I might decide I like it once I have one in my hand, the look is not the greatest though.

Pilgrim, I feel that if a .22 is going to cost as much as a defensive piece, I guess I might want to consider a dual purpose first piece.... I donno...

jar, just looked up the hunter model and it is considerably nicer than the MK3 Standard... I might decide I like it once I have one in my hand, the look is not the greatest though.

The thing is, the ammo for the dual purpose gun is going to be much more expensive. Also, a 22 auto is cheaper than a decent centerfire auto. A blued mk3 runs about $300 vs about $500 for a Glock or M&P.

The thing is, the ammo for the dual purpose gun is going to be much more expensive. Also, a 22 auto is cheaper than a decent centerfire auto. A blued mk3 runs about $300 vs about $500 for a Glock or M&P.

What does "Blued" mean?

If you are considering a dual purpose first gun then something in 9mm might not be a bad idea. The ammo tends to be a little cheaper than say 40S+W or 45 ACP so you won't break the bank practicing with it.

What does "Blued" mean?

It's the finish on the gun.
blued:
pre36left%20600x413.jpg

nickeled:

left_tipped%20600x358.jpg

stainless steel (not a finish as much as a metal):
66.jpg

No disrespect meant, but you seem REALLY new to guns. May I ask your age?

Last edited:
No disrespect meant, but you seem REALLY new to guns. May I ask your age?

None taken! I am 25. I am new to guns, never owned one and the ones I was around (growing up in Lebanon) I didn't want to touch. As I said earlier, the only guns I've shot are the ones I've rented @ ranges and shot there.

Welcome to the forum.

New shooters are a 'special' bunch. Don't stop asking questions. Everyone started out as a noobie and this is a great place for you to hang out.

You will learn a whole bunch of good stuff here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

New shooters are a 'special' bunch.

Thank you for the welcome. I love this site, got all the info for when I was applying for my LTC, also helped me pick a club (SRGC) and now gonna help me pick a first few pieces and accessories.

'special' bunch you say huh?? not sure if that's good or bad haha

So the fiancee did some "googling" yesterday and she found that she really likes (looks and things she read abt grip and what not) the Walther P22. Opinions on that & the SIG Mosquito?

So the fiancee did some "googling" yesterday and she found that she really likes (looks and things she read abt grip and what not) the Walther P22. Opinions on that & the SIG Mosquito?

Neither the Walther or the Sig are as well regarded as the Ruger .22 pistol. They look better and more like a "real" centerfire handgun, but the Ruger has been around a long time and is known for its outstanding accuracy, longevity and reliability. I would recommend a Mark III 22/45 stainless with 5.5" barrel. The ergos are modeled after the 1911 (except you can manipulate the bolt while the safety is engaged and it has a mag disconnect safety) so if you do decide to step up to a 1911 in the future you will have a great practice gun.

I have had my 22/45 for a few years now with thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions (after initial field strip). I have field stripped it exactly once when I first got it and do not plan on stripping it again unless it fails to function. I run a bore snake through it, throw some lube on it when it's dry and it's good for another few thousand rounds. I'm purposefully seeing how many rounds it will take between field strips. (I'm otherwise religious about cleaning my firearms after every range session).

It is also outstandingly accurate. I routinely shoot it at 30 yards with excellent results. It has taught me a lot about sight picture and proper trigger pull.

I sold mine for half of what I paid just to be rid of it. That said, it was a totally passable introduction to sight alignment, trigger press (or, really, trigger yank, as it's got a bad trigger). But I got it because I just couldn't stand the strange looks of the Ruger autopistols. If I could do it again, I'd get a Single Six.

Neither the Walther or the Sig are as well regarded as the Ruger .22 pistol. They look better and more like a "real" centerfire handgun, but the Ruger has been around a long time and is known for its outstanding accuracy, longevity and reliability. I would recommend a Mark III 22/45 stainless with 5.5" barrel. The ergos are modeled after the 1911 (except you can manipulate the bolt while the safety is engaged and it has a mag disconnect safety) so if you do decide to step up to a 1911 in the future you will have a great practice gun.

I have had my 22/45 for a few years now with thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions (after initial field strip). I have field stripped it exactly once when I first got it and do not plan on stripping it again unless it fails to function. I run a bore snake through it, throw some lube on it when it's dry and it's good for another few thousand rounds. I'm purposefully seeing how many rounds it will take between field strips. (I'm otherwise religious about cleaning my firearms after every range session).

It is also outstandingly accurate. I routinely shoot it at 30 yards with excellent results. It has taught me a lot about sight picture and proper trigger pull.

Thank you for the detailed response. The Ruger MKIII seems like an excellent piece, and for the right price I might very well pick one up for me. However, the fiancee said and I quote (I think this is funny) "I don't want a gun that looks like a WW2 German Officer's gun". Set aside everything else, I know better than to argue (don't we all) haha. SO with that said, I need to find her a pistol in the style of a Walther P22 or something along those lines....

So if anyone can suggest the 2nd best .22 (considering the Ruger to be the first) so that she can be happy LOL it would be much appreciated.

IN OTHER NEWS: I just got a call from the MPD and my LTC's in, going to pick it up in a bit!!! [rockon][banana][party2]

I think we will be dropping by First Defense tonight in Uxbridge [grin][smile]

Back
Top Bottom