• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IDC Firearms - Clinton, MA

This is so typical for these threads. As the OP I was simply passing along good stuff: a relatively new, friendly, well-stocked gun shop exists in central Mass. Inevitably folks who haven't even visited spill in w/ tales from "friends" that are incredulous and just wrong. Too bad.

I agree that some of their ammo is a little high, but we're talking nickels and dimes here folks. Don't know about you, but I have to buy gas for my car, and my time is valuable. My 2nd favorite ship is in Woburn, and that's a 40 min drive from here. Personally, I'm thrilled that IDC is around the corner, and wish them prosperity.
Spot on...end of story!

I've been meaning to get over there for a while. Just about the ONLY reason I get out to Clinton is to see a movie at the Strand right down the street (IIRC), so that's almost always on a Friday or Saturday... and IDC closes around 4 or 5 or something. So I'd need to find something to do -in Clinton- for a couple of early evening hours to make a complete night of it.

Anything around? Say for a nice, quiet, geezer-friendly and inexpensive to moderately priced dinner?

I've been to Clinton a few times and stopped in IDC a while back. Seems like a nice store. Don't know much about the town itself other than they have some cool mill buildings, a museum of iconography, and an incredibly expensive liquor store.

I bought a Sig 556 from IDC one month pre-Newtown post Obama re-election. Glad I did....great rifle and it would have been a long time before I saw another if I hadn't. I thought it was a good shop. I recently took a First Aid class with the owner and he seemed to be a great guy.

I've been there a couple times, the first couple visits were alright, but the last time I was there I was in with my fiance and she wqs interested in checking out some of the handguns. One of the salesmen behind the counter came over, pointed her to a pink .22 and remarked that the only other pink gun they had was the M&P 15-22 on the wall. My fiance hadn't asked about a .22 or a pink gun and we were both a bit offended over the exchange. Since that interaction, I have not been back.

They have a good amount of stock but their prices are crazy. I have been there a few times and I dont see why anyone would buy anything there. There are plenty of local central MA shops with good pricing. When I bought my 92FS they were 100 more than everyone else. I asked them about it and was told that was the best they could do.

As far as prices, when I was in there a coupe years ago I remember lots of very reasonably priced shotguns. Recently I called them about a stripped AR lower and got a quote that was nearly twice what other shops gave me. I'm willing to chock that up to miscommunication since I wasn't in the store to verify what they were talking about.

I've been meaning to get over there for a while. Just about the ONLY reason I get out to Clinton is to see a movie at the Strand right down the street (IIRC), so that's almost always on a Friday or Saturday... and IDC closes around 4 or 5 or something. So I'd need to find something to do -in Clinton- for a couple of early evening hours to make a complete night of it.

Anything around? Say for a nice, quiet, geezer-friendly and inexpensive to moderately priced dinner?

I know they're open till 7 pm a couple nights.

- - - Updated - - -

They have a good amount of stock but their prices are crazy. I have been there a few times and I dont see why anyone would buy anything there. There are plenty of local central MA shops with good pricing. When I bought my 92FS they were 100 more than everyone else. I asked them about it and was told that was the best they could do.

Agreed. Their 92FS price is roughtly $100 more than 4 Seasons; when I asked, they said, "We'll match their price."

I know they're open till 7 pm a couple nights.

Wifey and I go to the Strand theater a few times a year. Making a special trip just for IDC isn't the point! ;-D

ETA:
Just looked it up:
Friday - Noon to 5
Saturday - 9 to 4

Like I said, not movie friendly times, so not gonna happen unless we can find a place for din din nearby and make a late afternoon and night of it.

Also, we learned of their existence from an ad..... on the screen at the Strand theater. Maybe they could put their thinking caps on about that a little.

Agreed. Their 92FS price is roughtly $100 more than 4 Seasons; when I asked, they said, "We'll match their price."
So if someone doesnt ask they are raping them on the price. I don't like this type of business practice.
If they were that willing to drop the price you know they were still making a good profit even with the 100 off.
I'll stick with Pullman, H-S and the Gun Parlor.

So if someone doesnt ask they are raping them on the price. I don't like this type of business practice.
If they were that willing to drop the price you know they were still making a good profit even with the 100 off.
I'll stick with Pullman, H-S and the Gun Parlor.

This and I'll throw Bob's and First Defense in there too.

I'm a paying NES member, and have noticed that in thread after thread, there are ad hominem attacks against various ranges, shops, even instructors. These attacks are almost always by NES-ers who haven't been there, and don't know the guys. It's almost always classic 3rd party attacks: "my friend says," "I've heard," or more typically here at NES, that reply that's closer to a primal grunt than a thoughtful comment: "This" which always follows a quote.

So here we are in America, where we have diminishing freedoms and where defensive weapons are generally under assault, where those of us--a minority--who still think defensive weapons are a right have to defend our beliefs---and here, on a forum that is clearly pro-shooting, NES members themselves take apparent delight in righteously going after the few bastions that support our beliefs. To me at least, it's astonishing.

I started this thread simply to alert others who live in central MA that there was a new, friendly upstart that had good supplies of ammo and guns. Almost predictably, heartrendingly, the thread has devolving into an attack against the shop itself. Most of the attacking rabble have never set foot inside and are content to go at it based on random comments.

It's thoughtless, and embarrassing.

Hey, guys, there's a new gunshop in town.

"Forget 'em. I hear they charge 40 cents more for a box of 9mm."

Hm, well they have 40 or 50 low cost shotguns.

"Not what I hear. They don't want to sell you one for less than $2,000."

Dude, that's all 3rd hand. Stop by the store and get to meet the folks who work there!

"Not me. I'd drive 8-10 miles further to somewhere I've been before. If they go under, well, one less gunshop. No sweat off my back."

Idk, I re-read the comments and I'm not really seeing "attacks" but other members opinions, which are positive to ok.
I guess if you're looking for complete affirmation of your opinion you run the risk of hearing other opinions which may differ in a comment based forum.
BTW, it was the OP who initially called their ammo prices expensive....

Yes, the OP said any differences in price were nickels and dimes. I think the OP also said something about having to pay for gas if you drive further. Oh, and also something about time being valuable. It's all an interesting critique. Do any of us really drive a half a dozen miles farther to save a quarter on a box of ammo?

My wife wife likes to go to the consignment shop there. It's got some nice stuff but I tend to run off to IDC after I drop her off.

Yes, the OP said any differences in price were nickels and dimes. I think the OP also said something about having to pay for gas if you drive further. Oh, and also something about time being valuable. It's all an interesting critique. Do any of us really drive a half a dozen miles farther to save a quarter on a box of ammo?

Stop being so touchy. If you don't want to hear differing opinions, don't post.

Like I said, not movie friendly times, so not gonna happen unless we can find a place for din din nearby and make a late afternoon and night of it.

Im in Sterling Next door to Clinton. We have been a fan of The Old Timer Restaurant. Its on Church Street, its RIGHT by the strand. Nice Irish Pub with good food! http://www.oldtimerrestaurant.com/

Last edited:
I'm a paying NES member, and have noticed that in thread after thread, there are ad hominem attacks against various ranges, shops, even instructors. These attacks are almost always by NES-ers who haven't been there, and don't know the guys. It's almost always classic 3rd party attacks: "my friend says," "I've heard," or more typically here at NES, that reply that's closer to a primal grunt than a thoughtful comment: "This" which always follows a quote.

So here we are in America, where we have diminishing freedoms and where defensive weapons are generally under assault, where those of us--a minority--who still think defensive weapons are a right have to defend our beliefs---and here, on a forum that is clearly pro-shooting, NES members themselves take apparent delight in righteously going after the few bastions that support our beliefs. To me at least, it's astonishing.

I started this thread simply to alert others who live in central MA that there was a new, friendly upstart that had good supplies of ammo and guns. Almost predictably, heartrendingly, the thread has devolving into an attack against the shop itself. Most of the attacking rabble have never set foot inside and are content to go at it based on random comments.

Hey, guys, there's a new gunshop in town.

"Forget 'em. I hear they charge 40 cents more for a box of 9mm."

Hm, well they have 40 or 50 low cost shotguns.

"Not what I hear. They don't want to sell you one for less than $2,000."

Dude, that's all 3rd hand. Stop by the store and get to meet the folks who work there!

"Not me. I'd drive 8-10 miles further to somewhere I've been before. If they go under, well, one less gunshop. No sweat off my back."

So you are mad that people have had a different experience than you and are sharing it with others? [rolleyes]

Im in Sterling Next door to Clinton. We have been a fan of The Old Timer Restaurant. Its on Church Street, its RIGHT by the strand. Nice Irish Pub with good food! http://www.oldtimerrestaurant.com/

Old timer is good. The Thai place across the street is also good, but I've never eaten in the restaurant.

Stop being so touchy. If you don't want to hear differing opinions, don't post.

This. I've been there once and I concur with most of the posters.

Nice shop, nice guys, guns way overpriced.

I was looking at GP100 and I was like, is this some special model? I never got the "we'll match line".

There haven't been any personal attacks thus far, merely others relating their experiences, so regardless of our diminishing freedoms blah blah blah, I won't refer anyone to a shop that doesn't seem trustworthy. If their GP100 was $100 more than anyone else and he just said hey thats the price...ok fine, but don't make up some BS story to try to convince me that I need to buy it immediately for that price.

This is so typical for these threads. As the OP I was simply passing along good stuff: a relatively new, friendly, well-stocked gun shop exists in central Mass. Inevitably folks who haven't even visited spill in w/ tales from "friends" that are incredulous and just wrong. Too bad.

I agree that some of their ammo is a little high, but we're talking nickels and dimes here folks. Don't know about you, but I have to buy gas for my car, and my time is valuable. My 2nd favorite ship is in Woburn, and that's a 40 min drive from here. Personally, I'm thrilled that IDC is around the corner, and wish them prosperity.

One story, the gp100/ruger has no more steel story, was from me directly while I was there a couple months ago. I will have my friend log in and report the details of the shotgun story to make it not "second hand" for you. [wink]

Last edited:
Nice enough guys, always have plenty to look at. I stop in whenever I'm visiting friends in Clinton, got a bunch of CCI primers there last trip just because they had them. Don't see myself ever buying a new gun there though, they are definitely high compared to other local options.

So as my friend Heath reported. I went into IDC and there were two seperate workers there. Who were pushing a person looking for a self defense shotgun for the house. This person had no ltc or fid and little to no experience with fire arms. Has yet to even take a saftey course.

So with the knowledge and the specifics that I over heard and also tried to intergect on where he can go to get some experience. The two workers at IDC one that I believe was the owner as he had a full auto license we were chatting about. Could be a bad assumption but I do know he worked there.

During this discussion with the non experienced man he suggested getting into a 2000 enty level shotgun for his needs. And the man said that he may also want to do some trap shooting and the two said he may want a more high end shotgun to cover this that would be dedicated. Now if thats there opinion on the matter that is fine. But for me that seems misguided. I would have suggested a used shotgun that is resonably priced to get the guy into something he needs and mayne get him started in the sport.

Also from my experience there ammo is high priced. But they do carry ammo so I usually find what I need when I need it. But I wont bend at a certain point for instance $75 for a brick of 22lr is just way to much IMO. Also there firarms seem to be at the top of the scale as well. Not many deals to be had that I saw but maybe you need to ask.

As my friend mentioned he did question the price but got no where so I do shop there but Im cautious and price match everything so not to risk paying to much.

It's not nickels and dimes, its dollars per box. Nothing against IDC (I make a point to stop in there because its one of the two shops in central MA I bother visiting) but their ammo prices are just as terrible as about 90% of the shops in MA are. I've bought a few guns from them (because there are some gems in that department) but I only bought ammo in there a couple of times.

Also, I moved your post into GSR, shop reviews don't belong in GD.

-Mike

I've been to IDC... My sister-in-law used to live across the street so I would constantly pick up cleaning supplies or a holster and I bought 3 guns in a 6 month timeframe from them. When they first opened, I couldn't have said nicer things about them... One of the owners even knew me on a first name basis BUT recently I've have issues with that fat old FUDD that brings his dog in and works the register.

He isn't very knowledgable and I find him rude and condescending. I've had more than one negative experience with him and he just scowls at me when I was still going to IDC. If he is employed there, I will never shop at IDC again. Owners are great guys but they need to find a way to replace that fat bald **** that works the register most days.

I have no idea where this is coming from - in their first year I purchased at least 4 firearms from them. The SR9C (as I mentioned on the first page of this thread) was all of $10 more than FS... and I didn't have to spend the time and gas to drive there.

Other guns - a Colt Officer's ACP for $550 (it's my wife's now) - the next Officer's I got was from another shop for $1000. A Model 29 for $500 - and I forget the fourth. All very reasonable prices.

And that's not second hand; that's my personal experience. If I still lived in MA full-time (and didn't have my own FFL now), I'd still shop there.

As the OP I really have no dog in this hunt beyond noting the shop and my own experiences. It is interesting hearing the wildly varying experiences. To date I've been through the door perhaps 8 times, and never had anything but a good experience. As noted originally, their on-site gunsmith is excellent. A fairly young dude with tremendous enthusiasm and skill. There's a lot of good stuff going on there. Not sure about the "fat old FUDD" & I've never seen a dog there. Still, name anyone who doesn't have a bad day occasionally.

IDC is a hidden gem in MA. I have had the best customer service here if any shop I have been too in my 13 years living here. They know there products, encourage checking out as many guns as you would like, and even discouraged a gun smithing service that I wanted despite costing them money. Love this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom