Idaho Camper Shoots Family Dog, Mistaking It For Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member

Well this is the west not malden. Can’t really blame the shooter. Idaho is loaded with wolfs, and if your dog looks like a wolf? you might want to keep it in your campsite Under your control.
West, especially Idaho, also means people shouldn't be pissing their pants just because they think they see a wolf. Also, apparently the dog was in the campsite when shot. I can see a rancher who has lost livestock taking out a wolf, but some stupid, panicked camper? Yeah, you can really blame the shooter IMHO.

The collar didn't tip him off, eh?

The Kolbs then saw Suki lying on the ground 5 feet (1.5 meters) from the tent with a gunshot wound to the left side of her head, panting with blood dripping from her mouth and ear, he said.

The man who shot Suki — whom the Kolbs denied to identify publicly — said he thought the dog was a wolf before he noticed she had a collar on, Kolb said. The man took immediate responsibility and paid for her vet bills, he said.

I mean, it was FIVE FEET from their tent, too. What the actual Hell? If I was the dog owner I'd have had a hard time accepting his lameass apology.

Or perhaps an orange vest with bells?
Might sound silly but if my dog looked like a wolf I would there. I hunted the Nez perce one year and I couldn’t believe the amount of wolfs in there. Tracks everywhere, kill sites, hearing them day and night and so on. I feel for the dog and family but I blame the owner 100%. Not to mention the lions and bears Are thick out there. A wandering dog in this type of country can end up a meal just as easy As get shot.

Might sound silly but if my dog looked like a wolf I would there. I hunted the Nez perce one year and I couldn’t believe the amount of wolfs in there. Tracks everywhere, kill sites, hearing them day and night and so on. I feel for the dog and family but I blame the owner 100%. Not to mention the lions and bears Are thick out there. A wandering dog in this type of country can end up a meal just as easy As get shot.
in our town there is an owner who walks what looks as a half-breed mix of husky and wolf, at least the tail is as straight as a log, bushy, and never wiggles, eyes as blue as a sky.
a friendly beast, though, never saw anything negative, sniffs and lets you pet it. owner says - husky, but my ass it is a husky.

The collar didn't tip him off, eh?

I mean, it was FIVE FEET from their tent, too. What the actual Hell? If I was the dog owner I'd have had a hard time accepting his lameass apology.

The neck fur of malamutes is pretty thick and probably obscured the collar. Just being in the campsite doesn't mean the animal is domestic. Obviously plenty of wild animals wander into campsites. That's why you hang your food in bear bags and keep your cooking site a good distance from your tentsite.

If I had a wolf-looking dog out in the wilderness, I would definitely put some kind of prominent collar or harness on it.

I can’t blame the guy too much.

But really, a lone Wolf that’s not acting aggressively poses almost no risk to an adult man. Even if it is at a campsite.

I can’t blame the guy too much.

But really, a lone Wolf that’s not acting aggressively poses almost no risk to an adult man. Even if it is at a campsite.
i was pulled into a wolf hunt twice, after a second one i do not think i would ever shoot at any live wolf ever again. they are like humans, really, not any bit worse.
but only kill when they need to feed.

Maybe it was running at him to say "hi".
Maybe but that is 100% pure speculation. Based on known information, like I said, I can’t blame the guy too much. Many unknowns and what we do know he is plausibly justified.

I’m just saying the scenario I described would pose almost no risk to an adult man.

right - the guy owned it and paid the vet bills...

A malamute is pretty close to a timber wolf if you are not familiar with the breed.

shooter must have used a .40 though...

Identify target first, and what's behind it, before touching off. Basic Ten Commandments of firearms safety?

Probably one of those suburban dwellers or urban dwellers who couldn't identify four species of wildlife in their midst if their life depended on it. His actions point in that direction.😆

Well this is the west not malden. Can’t really blame the shooter. Idaho is loaded with wolfs, and if your dog looks like a wolf? you might want to keep it in your campsite Under your control.
Our dog looked nothing like a wolf but my dad would never let him wonder in the woods while camping. Fear of someone shooting our dog.
At least the shooter was responsible enough not to just flea the scene.

i was pulled into a wolf hunt twice, after a second one i do not think i would ever shoot at any live wolf ever again. they are like humans, really, not any bit worse.
Hate to burst your bubble but wolfs do engage in “surplus killings”. Don’t believe what the peta types tell you. 8D2F6677-5095-4410-86AD-A93A7D1C8831.jpegAE3531BC-8848-43E1-BFF4-459C5C9788A2.jpegwolves kill pray and don’t consume it. And it’s not nearly as rare as the lefties say it is, ask any rancher in wolf country. They kill to kill.

There is a good side to this story.

1. The owner seems like a decent guy and my guess is he knew leaving the dog alone to wonder outside while he slept was stupid.

2. The shooter seems like a decent guy, he paid the bills.

I am just waiting for an ambulance chaser to convince the owner of destroying the shooter. I hope that doesn't happen.

Even if it was a wolf, the shithead had no reason to shoot it if it wasn't trying to eat him.

We had a monstrous bear up on our deck a couple years ago. Sliding glass doors were open and he had his nose pressed against the screen. Despite a Rott and GSD barking at him, he wasn't too motivated to leave. I shoo'd him away and had to do it a second time because he wanted to come back up the steps onto the deck. Neighbors were 50/50 either "why didn't you shoot him?" or "why didn't you call the cops?".

Why the hell would I do either one? Sure, if the thing was tearing into my house and would not leave or if it was attacking us / our dogs. Otherwise there's no reason to wet one's pants. Only a bed wetting dipshit would have shot that malamute.

I think the guy probably was a little overzealous but I think this is pretty much BS.... any kind of carnivorous animal with prey drive is going to kill shit whenever it thinks it needs to/can get away with it, unless it's trained not to. hell most domesticated dog breeds will basically slaughter rabbits for sport if left to their own devices.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom