I'd like to start hunting...

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
2,684
Likes
101
Location
northeast MA
...But I don't know the first thing about, well, anything other than the actual shooting needed.

Obviously, before I ever strapped on the blaze orange, I'll take the Hunter Safety course(s) offered (probably for NH and/or ME).

But I don't know a damn thing about field dressing or butchering, for example.

I'd MUCH rather go out with a guide/mentor than take a class/watch a video/etc.

Anyone interested in tutoring a noob hunter? I have only "hunted" red squirrels up at my buddy's camp in ME, so I bring precious few bad habits with me (other than a desire to rush up to the downed critter and pop a .22LR bullet in 'em...) ;)
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
I've been looking for a hunting partner. I don't hunt big game anymore because I can't consume all the meat in a timely fashion. But I would love to start phesant hunting again.

Is that something you may want to try this fall?
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
derek said:
I've been looking for a hunting partner. I don't hunt big game anymore because I can't consume all the meat in a timely fashion. But I would love to start phesant hunting again.

Is that something you may want to try this fall?
Why don't look into giving the left over meet to a shelter or mission.
 
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
2,684
Likes
101
Location
northeast MA
derek said:
I've been looking for a hunting partner. I don't hunt big game anymore because I can't consume all the meat in a timely fashion. But I would love to start phesant hunting again.

Is that something you may want to try this fall?
Derek,

I'd LOVE to try it this fall, but I'm more interested in deer than pheasant. I've got a large freezer that could store a good amount of meat.

It's been something that's been on my mind a lot. I really like the self-reliance aspect of eating meat that I have hunted as opposed to just picked up in the store...

Maybe that makes me a dangerous "survivalist".

Or I could just be a cheap bastard... ;)
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
No it makes you hungry. :D

I don't know much about hunting deer in the Northeast. I've only shot deer in Minnesota. But I do know Phesants. :D And I might add they taste better than chicken. :D
 
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
2,133
Likes
239
Location
Red Sox Nation
It's been over 30 years since I went hunting, and I want to go again this fall (pheasant, turkey, duck, goose). When I joined my gun club and started talking to the guys who shoot trap I had several offers to go bird hunting in the fall. If you ask some friendly questions of the shotgun guys at your local club you'll probably get a few invitations also.
 
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
2,684
Likes
101
Location
northeast MA
Shameful confession: I don't (YET) belong to a gun club...

Believe me, I intend to remedy this glaring omission in the near future (looking at Haverhill Hound, Rod, & Gun Club in particular). I've been historically more of a handgunner (come from a cop family, what can I say) so that indoor ranges have been all I've needed.

Lately, though, I've been feeling the Rifleman itch...
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
derek said:
I don't know much about hunting deer in the Northeast. I've only shot deer in Minnesota.
Hint: All the vital organs are located in exactly the same place since they are exactly the SAME DAMN ANIMAL! [wink]
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
TonyD said:
derek said:
I don't know much about hunting deer in the Northeast. I've only shot deer in Minnesota.
Hint: All the vital organs are located in exactly the same place since they are exactly the SAME DAMN ANIMAL! [wink]
There are different ways to hunt big game depending on the topography asshat. But I forgot you had your own ESPN Outdoors program. Fill me in on how I should hunt whitetail in New England?
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
13,893
Likes
202
Location
Haverhill, MA
derek said:
TonyD said:
derek said:
I don't know much about hunting deer in the Northeast. I've only shot deer in Minnesota.
Hint: All the vital organs are located in exactly the same place since they are exactly the SAME DAMN ANIMAL! [wink]
There are different ways to hunt big game depending on the topography asshat. But I forgot you had your own ESPN Outdoors program. Fill me in on how I should hunt whitetail in New England?
Be wery, wery qwiet. [wink]
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
Lynne said:
derek said:
TonyD said:
derek said:
I don't know much about hunting deer in the Northeast. I've only shot deer in Minnesota.
Hint: All the vital organs are located in exactly the same place since they are exactly the SAME DAMN ANIMAL! [wink]
There are different ways to hunt big game depending on the topography asshat. But I forgot you had your own ESPN Outdoors program. Fill me in on how I should hunt whitetail in New England?
Be wery, wery qwiet. [wink]
[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
We can also throw in that the diets of White Tails are different between the two regions, which leads to larger deer in MN than in New England.

This will also effect the decision on which method to use.
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
derek said:
We can also throw in that the diets of White Tails are different between the two regions, which leads to larger deer in MN than in New England.

This will also effect the decision on which method to use.
Look, Derek, open the yellow pages and go to 'Petting Zoo's'. That's where I always start, lots to choose from.

Down here, under the description they have recipes. Emu Stew, Cajun style, wee, dogies!!
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
TonyD said:
derek said:
We can also throw in that the diets of White Tails are different between the two regions, which leads to larger deer in MN than in New England.

This will also effect the decision on which method to use.
Look, Derek, open the yellow pages and go to 'Petting Zoo's'. That's where I always start, lots to choose from.

Down here, under the description they have recipes. Emu Stew, Cajun style, wee, dogies!!
Is the the same as veal but with venison?
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
derek said:
TonyD said:
derek said:
We can also throw in that the diets of White Tails are different between the two regions, which leads to larger deer in MN than in New England.

This will also effect the decision on which method to use.
Look, Derek, open the yellow pages and go to 'Petting Zoo's'. That's where I always start, lots to choose from.

Down here, under the description they have recipes. Emu Stew, Cajun style, wee, dogies!!
Is the the same as veal but with venison?
Actually, it's immitation Ostrich.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
10,995
Likes
417
Location
Vermont, a Free State
derek said:
There are different ways to hunt big game depending on the topography asshat. But I forgot you had your own ESPN Outdoors program. Fill me in on how I should hunt whitetail in New England?

'I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach ... That's hunting.'


No, that's not how I do it.
 
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
2,684
Likes
101
Location
northeast MA
TonyD said:
derek said:
We can also throw in that the diets of White Tails are different between the two regions, which leads to larger deer in MN than in New England.

This will also effect the decision on which method to use.
Look, Derek, open the yellow pages and go to 'Petting Zoo's'. That's where I always start, lots to choose from.

Down here, under the description they have recipes. Emu Stew, Cajun style, wee, dogies!!
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Tony, I now have to clean the water I was drinking off of my monitor thanks to you and that post... :)

Thanks for the tips, everyone (and Derek, even if it's pheasant hunting I'd like to come with if we can arrange a time and place)... I really need to join up with a club and take a hunter safety course, I guess...
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
13,893
Likes
202
Location
Haverhill, MA
TonyD said:
Does anyone know there is a way to get a replacement card from a hunter safety course taken many years ago?
Is the person/group/org. still around that the course was taken from? If yes, they *might* be able to give you a copy of it. However, if it was before computers getting involved, then I wouldn't hold my breath.
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
Lynne said:
TonyD said:
Does anyone know there is a way to get a replacement card from a hunter safety course taken many years ago?
Is the person/group/org. still around that the course was taken from? If yes, they *might* be able to give you a copy of it. However, if it was before computers getting involved, then I wouldn't hold my breath.
Holy Shiite, I was 16 at the time. I have no clue who taught it. I assumed that they were all taught, or at least regulated through DNR.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
13,893
Likes
202
Location
Haverhill, MA
TonyD said:
Lynne said:
TonyD said:
Does anyone know there is a way to get a replacement card from a hunter safety course taken many years ago?
Is the person/group/org. still around that the course was taken from? If yes, they *might* be able to give you a copy of it. However, if it was before computers getting involved, then I wouldn't hold my breath.
Holy Shiite, I was 16 at the time. I have no clue who taught it. I assumed that they were all taught, or at least regulated through DNR.
Well...you could check with them, but, like I said, I wouldn't hold my breath if it was THAT long ago. [wink]
 
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
2,684
Likes
101
Location
northeast MA
Lynne said:
Jay, I don't know where you live, but Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun has hunter safety courses starting soon - check out the web site for the schedule - it's www.hhrg.com
Lynne,

As mentioned on another thread, I'm right next door in Groveland. I've been thinking of joining Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun, actually.

Thanks for the info. - I'll have to see about making the class!
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
13,893
Likes
202
Location
Haverhill, MA
Jay G said:
Lynne,

As mentioned on another thread, I'm right next door in Groveland. I've been thinking of joining Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun, actually.

Thanks for the info. - I'll have to see about making the class!
I saw that after I wrote the previous. :D Anytime Jay.
 

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,780
Likes
19
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon
I'll be damned! I just went through a file of old cert's and found my original cert. of hunter education, 29 Sept. '81. Although, my little card is no where to be found.
 

Wildweasel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
1,602
Likes
207
Location
Western MA
As long as you have the cert you are set, in Mass I needed it to get a hunting license a few years back (couldn't find my old ones) so I just looked up the hunter safty folks on the web and called them. they looked it up and sent me a new one. (And mine was a ways before 81... 77 actally)
so at least in mass you can get one .

As for hunting, my Pheasent dog passed this spring, He was blind so we haven't hunted in a few years. I was big into pheasent for years.
If my shoulder is ever better I would be willing to go, but no dog right now.
(the cockers are a little small, but do have good noses.)
 

Admin

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
39,578
Likes
15,707
Location
Monadnock area, NH
Glenn,

As long as the fields we are in are not too deep the cockers will work great. :D

Let me know how you feel this fall and we can set something up. I don't know where the best areas to hunt are in this state?

Do I need a course to get a license?
 

Wildweasel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
1,602
Likes
207
Location
Western MA
No course needed anymore, the LTC and fid work for that now. (one of the wierd things that happened out of the law change in 98.)
I have plenty of places to hunt. and there are some out your way too.
(I go right down the road to a friends farm I will make sure he asks for the stocking trucks this year 8) )
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwrec.htm
 
Top Bottom