Ice Fishing

Had ice. Still, it wasn't the greatest, but, it was getting there quick enough. I'm hoping, but, it isn't looking good right now.
We're hit with mostly pickerel and trout, if that's your thing, sure is mine. I'll keep you in mind and drop you a note once this stuff binds up nice and tight.
BTW, offer's open to all that'd be interested.

Last edited:
with the warm weather and rain, I think it'll be a few more weeks until it is safe.

with the warm weather and rain, I think it'll be a few more weeks until it is safe.

No doubt. I'm looking at the lake right now and it's back to solid all the way across and in all the nooks with plenty of snow cover on the places that have stayed frozen, but, I won't be heading out on that while this weather keeps up this way.
Where's my winter?

Not sure what I do can actually be considered ice "fishing". Ice sitting at the bonfire cooking and eating, yes. Ice sitting at the bonfire drinking many alcoholic beverages, yes. Ice fishing, ehhh....... I think there were a few tip ups that sat for a while before we got to them. [rolleyes][wink]

Georgetown F&G is planning an Ice Fishing Derby (Pentucket Pond) the morning of the Super Bowl.

I'll have more details after the next meeting on the 12th.

Ask any questions you may have now so I can bring them to the meeting....

I watched a bobhouse blow from one end of Lake Christopher to the other in Maine on Saturday. I was not on the lake but looking out a window from a house that overlooks the lake.

They were Ice Fishing on Long Pond in Rutland today when I drove by.
It's usually one of the first ponds to freeze in Mass so I have heard.
If it stays this cold all week I will be out there next Sunday if anyone wants to go.
I have plenty of tilts and jigging rods to go around and an auger.

-op

Bait question:

What do you guys use when trying for trout. I do the kid's ice fishing derby with my girls at my club on the small trout pond. I am not that familiar with ice fishing other than using shiners.

I always use small shiners. Some bait shops carry golden shiners which seem to work well.
Bait question:

What do you guys use when trying for trout. I do the kid's ice fishing derby with my girls at my club on the small trout pond. I am not that familiar with ice fishing other than using shiners.

FYI
I was out on Lake Whitehall in Hopkinton with my kids today. We just went ice skateing but there was plenty of Ice

I usually just use medium shiners when I ice fish but if I am targeting some trout or salmon (Brood Stock Atlantic Salmon) I use small shiners or mealworms or pieces of a nightcrawler (About 1 1/2") just below the ice maybe 1 to 4 feet down.
The only problem I have found with the small shiners is that they do not last long in the cold weather and freezing water.
I highly recommend getting a jigging rod. Use small jigs (Sweddish Pimples)with a piece of worm or with nothing at all and jig right off the bottom and up to 5 ft off the bottom. It is so much fun. I have caught Largemouth Bass up to 5lbs jigging along with rainbows, browns, pickeral, catfish, TONS of perch, crappie and of course everyones all time favorite "kivers"..aka sunfish.
If you need a jigging rod for the kids derby just send me a PM and I will send one to you for FREE. You can use any reel on the rod you want. I use either 4 or 6lb test line. When the tilt action slows I grab the auger or chipper and start jigging. You can usualy find the fish quickly and be right back in the action.
*DONT FORGET that the jigging rod counts as a "Tilt" or "Hook" to the Environmental Police and you are only allowed to have 5 hooks or Tilts in the water at a time. This was the law last I knew it.
I found out the hard way at Long Pond a few years ago.

Good luck at the Derby.

op

They are in Comet Pond in Hubbardston.....near the boat ramp and usually in the cove that is part of the boat ramp [wink].......In Lake Quinsigamond (near Regata Point...[wink]), Worcester...YES lake Quinsigamond.....also in Lake Cochituate, Natick....near the underpasses that flow water....[wink]
They have been stocking the spawned out Salmon for years now.

Theses big fish are caught closer to shore and shallower than you think. Dont be in the middle of the lake in 50ft for these monsters..they are right off the shore in usually 10 feet or less cruising for food.
Go get em boys!
Just got this off Mass Wildlife's Website.

Winter of 2007-2008 these waters have been stocked
Broodstock Salmon stocked waters District Town & Water Body

Western Lee- Laurel Lake, Goose Pond
Western Pittsfield- Lake Onota
Western Stockbridge- Stockbridge Bowl
Western Windsor- Windsor Pond
Valley Belchertown- Lake Metacomet
Valley Southwick- Lake Congamond
Valley Springfield- Five Mile Pond
Central Hubbardston- Asnacomet (Comet) Pond
Central Douglas- Wallum Lake
Central Webster- Webster Lake
Central Worcester-Lake Quinsigamond
Northeast Boston- Jamaica Pond
Northeast Concord- White's Pond
Northeast Framingham/Natick- Lake Cochituate
Northeast Groton-Baddacook Pond
Northeast Haverhill- Lake Saltonstall
Northeast Lynn- Sluice Pond
Northeast Methuen- Forest Lake
Northeast Wenham- Pleasant Pond
Northeast Woburn-Horn Pond
Southeast Brewster- Cliff Pond and Sheep Pond
Southeast Plymouth- Little Pond and Long Pond
Southeast Sandwich- Peters Pond

I am finally getting out this Sunday with my father. It has actually been a while since I have been on the ice so this should be fun and the weather looks like it should be great.

Don't forget the Winni Derby is coming up Feb. 7 - 8

http://www.meredithrotary.org/

This is pretty much the Super Bowl of New England Ice Fishing Derbies.
I've been out there when every bay looked like a shanty town, complete with traffic jams of sleds, ATV's, cars, trucks, ice boats, tracked vehicles and even the odd hovercraft. [smile]

Had a pretty good time today, took in three bass biggest being 2lbs and there was just about an endless supply of pickerel. Ice in Sturbridge was about 12 inch. think.

Had a pretty good time today, took in three bass biggest being 2lbs and there was just about an endless supply of pickerel. Ice in Sturbridge was about 12 inch. think.

Congrats. Everybody I've been talking to has been having a lot of success on the ice this winter. I need to get out there and chop some Ice myself. My neighbor thinks the lake's about 8 inches. I need to buy a new power auger or new chainsaw 'cause I'm that kind of lazy.

Back
Top Bottom