Ice Fishing

With this cold we may by ice fishing soon. I would like to get up to Sabbatus in Maine.I've been trying to get up there the last two years. Something always comes up. I hear they have some BIG Pike.

With this cold we may by ice fishing soon. I would like to get up to Sabbatus in Maine.I've been trying to get up there the last two years. Something always comes up. I hear they have some BIG Pike.

There are some very big pike in Sabbatus lake. That used to be a big hay field at one time until they flooded it. Any time you go on that lake, watch out for the sledders as they go like hell all over the place. Wardens aught to crack down on them, but they don't.

My wife and I entered the Rotary fishing derby in NH. We fished Winnepausake near the dock for the Mt Washington . there was open water at the end of the lake. The snowmobilers were driving right next to our tilts. WITHIN 10 feet! Finally after about a 1/2 day of that the EPO's finally went over and said something to them. At one point they were driving over the open water and a couple of them didn't make it. We gave them a standing O. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against snowmobilers, except when they don't respect other sportspeople. <PC for any women reading!

Ice fishing is pretty much the only fishing I like to do. I grew up on a lake in Sturbridge and we would head out with my Dad along with a slew of uncles and cousins. It ended up being more of a eating, drinking and sitting around the fire kind of event. We may even have missed a few of the tip ups from time to time. Now that I think of it, fishing was just the excuse to get out there and do a winter bbq. [smile]

Every winter I look out my windows and watch people scuttling to and from their little fishing shanties across the street, while I put my feet up in front of the fire and pop open another cold one. To each his own.

Ken

Every winter I look out my windows and watch people scuttling to and from their little fishing shanties across the street, while I put my feet up in front of the fire and pop open another cold one. To each his own.

Ken

If you have a stove there is nothing better than ice fishing with a friend while drinking beer. [wink]

Shanties and stoves? You guys do that fancy ice fishing.[wink]

I haven't been in a few years but all we had was upside-down 5-gallon pales to sit on and hot coffee to keep you warm. Many a days spent on Walker Pond.

Don't think I will be going this year unless my father wants to go out.

I used to fish with a guy who had built his own shanty that folded up and it was on skis.

We pulled it on and off the ice, darn nthing must've weighed 100-150lbs, but when it was set up....THAT was living.

Used to get the coleman stove fired up in there, and cook sausages, peppers and onions while waiting for a flag.

Shanties and stoves? You guys do that fancy ice fishing.[wink]

I haven't been in a few years but all we had was upside-down 5-gallon pales to sit on and hot coffee to keep you warm. Many a days spent on Walker Pond.

Don't think I will be going this year unless my father wants to go out.

Mikey,

Is that Walker pond in Sturbridge? If so, we probably crossed paths out there as I've Ice Fished there many times. Also Cedar Lake as well.

I used to fish with a guy who had built his own shanty that folded up and it was on skis.

We pulled it on and off the ice, darn nthing must've weighed 100-150lbs, but when it was set up....THAT was living.

Used to get the coleman stove fired up in there, and cook sausages, peppers and onions while waiting for a flag.

+1 My old man had an 8'x8' wood fish house that had a wood stove inside and it would maintain 80+ degrees all day and night. Only had to go outside to check the tip-ups. [grin]

Mikey,

Is that Walker pond in Sturbridge? If so, we probably crossed paths out there as I've Ice Fished there many times. Also Cedar Lake as well.

Yup, I grow up right down the road, my friends and I use to practically live at Well State park.

+1 My old man had an 8'x8' wood fish house that had a wood stove inside and it would maintain 80+ degrees all day and night. Only had to go outside to check the tip-ups. [grin]

On lazy days, we'd set up in front of the house and watch from the living room window.

On lazy days, we'd set up in front of the house and watch from the living room window.

We've done that too. Just off the drop off line in front of the cabin, drank and played cards all day. Took turns pulling in fish from the tip-ups. Good fun. [grin]

I live on one of the first lakes to freeze in the area. Winnicunnet has more fisherman in the winter than in the summer. Years ago they stocked pike, and the fishing was great for a few years, then the pike were fished out. It's still a great place for bass, perch and pickerel.

When I moved her 20 years ago I was out on the ice every chance I got. When the other fisherman left at dusk, I'd go out and jig their holes.

As the years went by I got lazier and lazier. Even with the gas hole borer, I started going out less and less.

Like Ken, I now sit in my living room with my binoculars and watch the fisherman. If I see someone take a nice fish I'll go out and look, but I ice skate more than I ice-fish nowadays.

I have friends that come all the way from Connecticut to fish here and make a great day of it. BBQ, vodka, beer, and they even deliver pizza and subs to the parking lot. A snow wall built up for a wind brake and a sunny day make Ice fishing a really relaxing time.

Back
Top Bottom