• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ice fishing shelter

Everyone I know uses Bob houses or pop up shelters. That and heaters, stoves, etc etc.
I prefer the minimal approach. I like being outside with my back to the wind.
I also don’t make a picnic out of going fishing. Helps I don’t have enough people interested to go besides my son.
Not knocking you. Just saying if someone is thinking about ice fishing, you don’t need a huge setup to start. If you enjoy it, you can easily expand.

Everyone I know uses Bob houses or pop up shelters. That and heaters, stoves, etc etc.
I prefer the minimal approach. I like being outside with my back to the wind.
I also don’t make a picnic out of going fishing. Helps I don’t have enough people interested to go besides my son.
Not knocking you. Just saying if someone is thinking about ice fishing, you don’t need a huge setup to start. If you enjoy it, you can easily expand.
A fish house is kind of mandatory when you're fishing in sub zero temps for 12+ hours.

I miss the days when I'd set up the tip ups and go back into the house and watch them from inside, lol.
That sir is the best plan. I sit in my easy chair, proper brewerage in hand and occasionally glance out the window to see if I have a flag. The hard part is walking to the trap, reeling in the fish and resetting it. There were many a day I enjoyed no fish on. :D

I was all set to buy a Fatfish 941i locally this week but a very lightly used Quickfish4 was available so I grabbed it.
Gotta start somewhere and I can easily get my money back if I want to upgrade.

A place to sit and have a beer or eat a samitch or cook lunch is nice too. We sometimes have a group and the girls have a place to pee if set up not near shore.

I honestly haven't even brought my stuff out of the basement. We've got three days of good cold weather this week, and then we're looking at more days that are either just barely freezing, or well above freezing. I'm a big baby when it comes to being on the ice, as I don't want to fall through again, especially in deeper water. As it is, the rivers have been pretty open, and I've been able to get out fishing (haven't caught anything yet) to take the edge off of the fishing bug.

Looks like this winter just sucks all around.

I honestly haven't even brought my stuff out of the basement. We've got three days of good cold weather this week, and then we're looking at more days that are either just barely freezing, or well above freezing. I'm a big baby when it comes to being on the ice, as I don't want to fall through again, especially in deeper water. As it is, the rivers have been pretty open, and I've been able to get out fishing (haven't caught anything yet) to take the edge off of the fishing bug.

Its been pretty frustrating to say the least. I am trying to plan to get out this weekend, ice thicc-ness permitting. [smile]

I’m sorta pissed I even started my sled and burnt off the off season storage oil.
Jack Traps, new ION drill, air pump bait cooler and tote sled just sitting in the trailer or garage. Outer wear still in the Ruffneck storage box where I placed it last spring.

WTF??

The first year way back we owned a house here and I drove up thru a major snow storm on Thanksgiving after eating at the outlaws.
In 98 I had bought a new 700SRX sled. It happened at the same time as the Ice Storm of 98. I managed almost 3000 miles on it cause we didn’t get the damage. In fact we never lost power and had the trails to ourselves except for locals. Nobody could get here.
Weather comes and goes in waves. It sucks some years and wakes us up in others.

Pssssssst...... Global warming.

I can recall it was skating on Thanksgiving an sledding on Christmas. I have 0 hours on my snow blower so far this year I have seen the lake frozen but it only lasted a few days.
Not complaining. This winter is the way I like it as I don't do any fishing, sledding or skiing anymore.

Hopefully this will be my last one in MA. Then you guys can have winter again! LOL!

Not complaining. This winter is the way I like it as I don't do any fishing, sledding or skiing anymore.

Hopefully this will be my last one in MA. Then you guys can have winter again! LOL!
I hear ya. My take on New England winters is when it's 40, brown and muddy you can't do a whole lot of anything. When its 20-25 with a "little" snow you can do a LOT more fun stuff.

When my kids were little we ice fished a lot at a small pond where my friends would camp out. We had our tip-ups and grill on a pull behind sled We would chip thru the ice maybe once before someone would offer to drill with the auger. I had a thermos of hot chocolate, and a little grill for hot dogs (I hate Hot Dogs normally).
When my son was learning to skate, he would be laced up and fly to the tripped flags. Damn, it feels like yesterday

I hear ya. My take on New England winters is when it's 40, brown and muddy you can't do a whole lot of anything. When its 20-25 with a "little" snow you can do a LOT more fun stuff.
I do a lot more shooting when its 35-40 out and I don't have to trudge thru 18" of snow. That's why i'm good with this weather, and it saves me money on heating oil.

Im sure we will get wacked at some point........

I do a lot more shooting when its 35-40 out and I don't have to trudge thru 18" of snow. That's why i'm good with this weather, and it saves me money on heating oil.

Im sure we will get wacked at some point........
It was 2 degrees this morning when I came downstairs with the dog.
There’s no savings at these temps. 😂

Come on and make some damn ice!!!

Back
Top Bottom