• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ice fishing gear and shiners, Central Massachusetts

OK, where is a good place to get shiners near Southern Worcester area (Auburn/Millbury/Oxford/Leicester)?

Starting to get back into ice fishing with the boy. I hear there might be something over in West Millbury near the fire station. Anyone? D&G over on Rte.9 is closed now, so that's out. Gazo's is a bit far for me.

Second question:
Not much choice or selection for other ice fishing gear. Looking for a shiner pail, and maybe some tilts. I know there used to be one or more guys who make tilts, but I cannot for the life of me find them any more. Would prefer someone local to the area, so I can look at and touch them, over "online".

Thanks again.

Thanks. Totally forgot about Klem's!

Brookfield is a bit far for me. I have a neighbor with a small pond on his farm. Maybe I can put out a shiner trap. That would still be quicker than driving to the Brookfields.

Hillside bait and tackle in Webster. I have a bunch of ice fishing gear I'm getting rid of if you want it. Tilts, sled, auger. Come take a look and take what you want!

Cool, thanks. Will they "keep" overnight, or 2 nights?

Secondary questions:
Does Jed's have shiner buckets/nets?
Is the ice decent today in Paxton/Princeton/Hubbardston?

I think they'll keep overnight, though might be better if you had one of those little air bubble units. Usually Jed's has nets and buckets but I'd call- I don't recall seeing the buckets last time I was there. Ice is good here- the pond across from the Holden Rec Dept pool (Salisbury St.) was very busy around 11. Be careful where moving water enters, otherwise I think the ice is good. I've been meaning to ice fish Comet Pond- might be some hold-over stocked trout, maybe land locked salmon.

Not sure if he's open all winter but check Barry's Bait & Tackle behind USA Marine on route 20, Worcester.
Also there used to be a little pet store on route 20 in Shrewsbury that sold bait; not sure if he's still there.

Back
Top Bottom